• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G29guy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2016
    DC area
    I'll add on with the vehicle angle. Have you had a chance to sit in the new Taurus and/or Impala interceptors? It's brutal in regular duty gear. Wearing a set of Level 3 plates? No freaking thank you!

ok, to split this hair...so, the cops who currently are issued the outer carry soft armor w/ their gear on it...if we add one or two 0.75" plates, that that 3/4 to half inch difference is gonna make or break the space?

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    I'll add on with the vehicle angle. Have you had a chance to sit in the new Taurus and/or Impala interceptors? It's brutal in regular duty gear. Wearing a set of Level 3 plates? No freaking thank you!

The caprice is the same way. They are narrow and have absolutely no head room. At 6'6 it was comical to see me trying to manuever my way into that car. The explorer interceptor suv's are much better.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    ok, to split this hair...so, the cops who currently are issued the outer carry soft armor w/ their gear on it...if we add one or two 0.75" plates, that that 3/4 to half inch difference is gonna make or break the space?

It's not about the added dimensions, it's the ability to move and being comfortable. When they're in their cars, cops don't always just sit facing straight ahead. You may sneer at the comfort aspect, but the reality of the situation is, cops realize that they're not in a war zone. They realize that the likelihood (though, seemingly increasing) of dealing with a subject armed with a rifle is miniscule. If they feel that the equipment serves little purpose, then they aren't going to use it. Bottom line.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

Your more then welcome to come to 5002 Hayes St NE and sit in my transport. As with everything the men and women are an after thought. The cars aren't built for us. So with a computer system, wires, transport, keyboard, and GOS Magnet it's not a comfortable ride. Soft plates are okay but any hard plate IMHO is almost not feasible for day to day. Your in, out, fighting, daily routine, sometimes playing with kids. I have a hard enough time not bitching about the plastic fabric covers of our new vests which suck!!!! The old cloth covers were way better.

G29guy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2016
    DC area
    Your more then welcome to come to 5002 Hayes St NE and sit in my transport. As with everything the men and women are an after thought. The cars aren't built for us. So with a computer system, wires, transport, keyboard, and GOS Magnet it's not a comfortable ride. Soft plates are okay but any hard plate IMHO is almost not feasible for day to day. Your in, out, fighting, daily routine, sometimes playing with kids. I have a hard enough time not bitching about the plastic fabric covers of our new vests which suck!!!! The old cloth covers were way better.

i might actually take you up on that...do you deal w/ Trinidad in your patrol?

G29guy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2016
    DC area
    It's not about the added dimensions, it's the ability to move and being comfortable. When they're in their cars, cops don't always just sit facing straight ahead. You may sneer at the comfort aspect, but the reality of the situation is, cops realize that they're not in a war zone. They realize that the likelihood (though, seemingly increasing) of dealing with a subject armed with a rifle is miniscule. If they feel that the equipment serves little purpose, then they aren't going to use it. Bottom line.

rifle nothin...my 10mm will penetrate soft armor, as will multiple hits from a pistol...yes a plate will break down too but I'd suspect I'd fare a lot better w/ 3 pistol rounds in a plate on top of soft armor than soft armor alone

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    wait...the resident experts here just rained on my parade and told me that plates were impractical and wouldn't be worn by cops...are you telling me that they can, do, and will wear them because they do wish to go home at the end of the day???

For clarification the outer carriers used currently by my department allow for hard plate use in conjunction with soft body armor. They also allow for the use of side soft plates or side hard plates. So officers have purchased their own hard plates to wear at work. Most if not all of those guys a former military. I hope to have my department issue hard plated to any officer that carries a rifle. Most cops are cheap especially in my department where almost everything is provided. I have been considering buying some hard plates to wear.

Tom Perroni

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2009
    Virginia
    If your a cop ...When the time comes....and it will....I really don't think it will matter what kind of vest you are or are not wearing....

If today is to be THE DAY, so be it.

If you seek to do battle with me this day you will receive the best that I am capable of giving.

It may not be enough, but it will be everything that I have to give
    and it will be impressive for I have constantly prepared myself for this day.
    I have trained, drilled and rehearsed my actions so that I might have the best chance of defeating you.

I have kept myself in peak physical condition, schooled myself in the martial skills and have become proficient in the application of combat tactics.

You may defeat me, but you will pay a severe price and will be lucky to escape with your life.

You may kill me, but I am willing to die if necessary.

I do not fear Death, for I have been close enough to it on enough occasions that it no longer concerns me.

But I do fear the loss of my Honor and would rather die fighting than to have it said that I was without Courage.

So I WILL FIGHT YOU, no matter how insurmountable it may seem, and to the death if need be, in order that it may never be said of me that I was not a Warrior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom