Contaminants from East Palestine dumped into the Chesapeake?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • It's being reported through trusted sources that contaminants from the rail disaster in East Palestine Ohio are going to be processed through the Back River wastewater plant. Here's a cut and paste

Tim Fazenbaker

"We have been having serious problems with Back River, and now we may be facing even more. There are current plans to have wastewater/stormwater from the site of the East Palestine, OHIO TRAIN DERAILMENT discharged into the Back River Wastewater Treatment Plant, reportedly beginning THIS Thursday. Yes, you read correctly.

There are many more details (such as the water will be "treated" first, etc.) but there are WAY more questions than answers at this point. I believe it is absolutely imperative that plans for the discharge into the Treatment Plant be stopped immediately, until further investigation.

If you are in agreement, I am urging you to please contact our elected officials to express concerns about this proposed dumping. Tradepoint has admitted that they haven’t replaced the pumps to discharge water from the plant. Is that why the sewage has overflowed into our water? This does not effect just those living near the Treatment Plant, but to all Marylanders, as the waterways have no boundaries. Below you will find a sample letter to the elected officials, as well as contact information for those who might have an interest in this issue (the locals are in the 6th legislative and 7th councilmatic districts).

PLEASE also consider sharing this with your friends and neighbors, as we need as many residents as possible to speak out in order to stop the proposed dumping !!! Please message me if you have any questions or need more information !!!

THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS IMPORTANT MESSAGE !!!

Date:_____________________

Dear Elected Official:

Hello, my name is _________________, and I/my family reside in _____________MD.

I am writing to advise you that I strongly oppose the discharge of stormwater/wastewater from the East Palestine, Ohio train derailment site, to the Back River Wastewater Treatment Plant. I believe our communities face the risk of exposure to hazardous chemicals as a result of this action, to be carried out by Safe Harbors. Not only is there a risk of exposure, but the Plant has been found to be in violation of the Clean Water Act on multiple occasions. This puts the health and safety of our communities in jeopardy, and could result in long-term environmental damage.

I strongly urge you to please take immediate action to stop the discharge of stormwater, or any other contaminated materials, from the site of the Ohio train derailment being discharged into Back River.

Thank you for your kind and prompt attention to this extremely urgent matter.

Sincerely,

Concerned Resident

Elected Officials for Sparrows Point, Baltimore County, MD

Election District 15, Precinct 21:

John Olszewski, Jr., Baltimore County Executive

Phone: 410-887-2450

E-mail: johnnyo@baltimorecountymd.gov

Baltimore City Mayor Brandon Scott

Phone: 410-396-3100

E-mail: mayor@baltimorecity.gov

Baltimore County Councilman Todd Crandell

Phone: 410-887-3383

E-mail: council7@baltimorecountymd.gov

Senator Johnny Ray Salling

Phone: 410-841-3587

E-mail: johnnyray.salling@senate.state.md.us

Delegate Robin Grammer Jr.

Phone: 410-841-3298

E-mail: robin.grammer@house.state.md.us

Delegate Richard (Ric) Metzgar

Phone: 410-841-3332

E-mail: ric.metzgar@house.state.md.us

Delegate Robert Long

Phone: 410-841-3458

E-mail: bob.long@house.state.md.us

U. S. Senator Chris Van Hollen

Phone: 202-224-4654

E-mail: correspondence@vanhollen.senate.gov OR

shelby_prettiman@vanhollen.senate.gov

U. S. Senator Benjamin Carden

Phone: 410-962-4436 (Baltimore)

Phone: 202-224-4524 (D.C.)

E-mail: beatrice_amoateng@cardin.senate.gov

Congressman Kweisi Mfume

Phone: 410-818-2120 (Baltimore)

Phone: 202-225-4741 (D.C.)

Congressman Dutch Ruppersberger

Phone: 202-225/3061

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Clean Harbors is allegedly going to use the plant to process the waste water and then discharge it

To me it's a non-issue. Plant was taken from the city by MES in recent history due to city mismanagement. What a shock. If MES has the place working it'll be fine and this is just cannon fodder for local politicians.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Clean Harbors is allegedly going to use the plant to process the waste water and then discharge it

To me it's a non-issue. Plant was taken from the city by MES in recent history due to city mismanagement. What a shock. If MES has the place working it'll be fine and this is just cannon fodder for local politicians.
    It's not working.

The ineptitude and compliancy is rampant. The city and MES are blackmailing each other to keep the racket alive and well for those getting rich off the place. EPA needs to lift the skirt on that place to see the big weenie.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Yep the Government took over the plant last year I believe. They claimed that the plant was being run unsafely and doing illegal discharges and other stuff. So no stopping them doing their activities at this time.

owldo

Ultimate Member
    It's being reported through trusted sources that contaminants from the rail disaster in East Palestine Ohio are going to be processed through the Back River wastewater plant. Here's a cut and paste

Tim Fazenbaker

"We have been having serious problems with Back River, and now we may be facing even more. There are current plans to have wastewater/stormwater from the site of the East Palestine, OHIO TRAIN DERAILMENT discharged into the Back River Wastewater Treatment Plant, reportedly beginning THIS Thursday. Yes, you read correctly.

There are many more details (such as the water will be "treated" first, etc.) but there are WAY more questions than answers at this point. I believe it is absolutely imperative that plans for the discharge into the Treatment Plant be stopped immediately, until further investigation.

If you are in agreement, I am urging you to please contact our elected officials to express concerns about this proposed dumping. Tradepoint has admitted that they haven’t replaced the pumps to discharge water from the plant. Is that why the sewage has overflowed into our water? This does not effect just those living near the Treatment Plant, but to all Marylanders, as the waterways have no boundaries. Below you will find a sample letter to the elected officials, as well as contact information for those who might have an interest in this issue (the locals are in the 6th legislative and 7th councilmatic districts).

PLEASE also consider sharing this with your friends and neighbors, as we need as many residents as possible to speak out in order to stop the proposed dumping !!! Please message me if you have any questions or need more information !!!

THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS IMPORTANT MESSAGE !!!

Date:_____________________

Dear Elected Official:

Hello, my name is _________________, and I/my family reside in _____________MD.

I am writing to advise you that I strongly oppose the discharge of stormwater/wastewater from the East Palestine, Ohio train derailment site, to the Back River Wastewater Treatment Plant. I believe our communities face the risk of exposure to hazardous chemicals as a result of this action, to be carried out by Safe Harbors. Not only is there a risk of exposure, but the Plant has been found to be in violation of the Clean Water Act on multiple occasions. This puts the health and safety of our communities in jeopardy, and could result in long-term environmental damage.

I strongly urge you to please take immediate action to stop the discharge of stormwater, or any other contaminated materials, from the site of the Ohio train derailment being discharged into Back River.

Thank you for your kind and prompt attention to this extremely urgent matter.

Sincerely,

Concerned Resident

Elected Officials for Sparrows Point, Baltimore County, MD

Election District 15, Precinct 21:

John Olszewski, Jr., Baltimore County Executive

Phone: 410-887-2450

E-mail: johnnyo@baltimorecountymd.gov

Baltimore City Mayor Brandon Scott

Phone: 410-396-3100

E-mail: mayor@baltimorecity.gov

Baltimore County Councilman Todd Crandell

Phone: 410-887-3383

E-mail: council7@baltimorecountymd.gov

Senator Johnny Ray Salling

Phone: 410-841-3587

E-mail: johnnyray.salling@senate.state.md.us

Delegate Robin Grammer Jr.

Phone: 410-841-3298

E-mail: robin.grammer@house.state.md.us

Delegate Richard (Ric) Metzgar

Phone: 410-841-3332

E-mail: ric.metzgar@house.state.md.us

Delegate Robert Long

Phone: 410-841-3458

E-mail: bob.long@house.state.md.us

U. S. Senator Chris Van Hollen

Phone: 202-224-4654

E-mail: correspondence@vanhollen.senate.gov OR

shelby_prettiman@vanhollen.senate.gov

U. S. Senator Benjamin Carden

Phone: 410-962-4436 (Baltimore)

Phone: 202-224-4524 (D.C.)

E-mail: beatrice_amoateng@cardin.senate.gov

Congressman Kweisi Mfume

Phone: 410-818-2120 (Baltimore)

Phone: 202-225-4741 (D.C.)

Congressman Dutch Ruppersberger

Phone: 202-225/3061

If anyone knows how it was determined that Back River was the optimum choice for this waste recycling project please show the link or citation. I can't believe that Cleveland doesn't have a waste water physicality that can handle this ... Cleveland and Lake Erie are literally a hop skip and a jump from East Palestine !

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    If anyone knows how it was determined that Back River was the optimum choice for this waste recycling project please show the link or citation. I can't believe that Cleveland doesn't have a waste water physicality that can handle this ... Cleveland and Lake Erie are literally a hop skip and a jump from East Palestine !
    This was my biggest question

Maybe if what antco says is true they're figuring they can get it done cheaply or with shenanigans in Dundalk

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    That’s a good article.

So 675,000 gallons are coming to Baltimore by rail, getting processed by Clean Harbors, then dumped into the city sewer to drain into the plant.

Any big concerns can really be mitigated by slowing the daily discharge rate into the sewer and halting discharge during rain events that the plant already struggles to contain. 675,000/365 days is 1,900 gallons per day for a year. Half that to 800 gallons per day spread across two years. The plant can eat that with no problem.

Lots of uproar but we have no idea of the chemical variety or concentrations in the Palestine water. This could be a big old nothing burger.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    @antco so whats the current issue at the plant? Inability to accept volume or maintenance issues or moronic operators or? They just built that expansion in recent history

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    1- Piss poor maintenance
    2- Lazy, inept, unqualified operators and maintenance
    3- Horrendous culture
    4- Standard industry best practices…. Ha, never heard of her.

Lots of new construction going on with major electrical upgrades at 4160v and 35kv. But constant delays, additional reviews and change orders have placed the EC onto T&M and made the electrical engineering firm contracted by owner a fortune through the constant reviews and revisions being driven by the owner and owners rep.

And everyone knows that the only thing that matters is to make sure no sewage turns up in the river, and ensure the discharge reporting is within spec… read into that what you will.

And I’ll stop here.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    "Dilution is the solution" for the HazMat nerds.

(an older article but captures the disposal plan by NS)

Ship the contaminates out to several different locations and "dispose" of it over a wider area.......

owldo

Ultimate Member
    1- Piss poor maintenance
    2- Lazy, inept, unqualified operators and maintenance
    3- Horrendous culture
    4- Standard industry best practices…. Ha, never heard of her.

Lots of new construction going on with major electrical upgrades at 4160v and 35kv. But constant delays, additional reviews and change orders have placed the EC onto T&M and made the electrical engineering firm contracted by owner a fortune through the constant reviews and revisions being driven by the owner and owners rep.

And everyone knows that the only thing that matters is to make sure no sewage turns up in the river, and ensure the discharge reporting is within spec… read into that what you will.

And I’ll stop here.
    This is what happens when society lowers it expectations for DEI and PC Correctness ... Wokeness at it's best !

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom