• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I have been wanting a .410 semi for rabbit hunting, if I could get around better, so I am kinda interested in this thread

Thanks for bringing it up

Every time I mention it the boys at the farm laugh at me for wanting a .410. I used a bolt action one when I was I little boy though and enjoyed it

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not sure if you load shotshells, or have maybe considered it. But I got curious and I do see tungsten shot available by the pound too. Also seeing complete kits available, but only for loading 12 and 20ga. Wads, hulls etc. But if anything similar is available in .410 bore, or will be at a later date, I've missed it thus far.
    No. Just metallic cartridges.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I was looking at the .410 scoped H&R single shot turkey and it supposedly will take the head off at 75 yards. I spoke to a gunsmith and he told me they can modify any .410 to use the .410 turkey super full choke. I personally would go that way because I want more than a single shot.
    :thumbsup:

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    As far as ammo. Tungsten shot hits like a truck. Should make a 410 an ethical turkey gun out to 40-45 yards. I used Apex Ammunition in 12 and 20 gauge when I had a place to turkey hunt and it was devastating.

DEEREHUNTER

Oct 7, 2009
    I`m sure a .410 is capable of taking down a turkey, but I think that job would be better handled with a 12 or 20 gauge.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have been wanting a .410 semi for rabbit hunting, if I could get around better, so I am kinda interested in this thread

Thanks for bringing it up

Every time I mention it the boys at the farm laugh at me for wanting a .410. I used a bolt action one when I was I little boy though and enjoyed it
    If I can get more land I’d happily hunt squirrels and rabbits with a .410. I can’t comment on turkey because I am not in that game really. I want to, but realistically I am not. A .410 means less shot in the rabbit or squirrel if you do use a shotgun. Quieter. Faster follow-ups. The shells aren’t so much more expensive to make it prohibitive really. Or at least a few bucks extra a box isn’t going to change my ability to pay my mortgage on the first of the month even if I went wild and shot two limits a week all season.

I have an old sears pump .410. My only real complaint is the length of pull on the slide is long. I can handle it fine, but it’s a little awkward and very awkward for my boys who aren’t small for their age. My 12yr old might be taller than my 5’6” wife before he turns 13 in a few weeks and my almost 15yr old is two inches shy of my 6’1”. I am loath to cut on it, but I am tempted to take half or three quarters of an inch off the butt and put a grind to fit pad on there. I can break mid to high teens in trap easily enough, granted I haven’t shot since before COVID (I need to fix that!) with my 12ga 870. The couple of times I’ve tried that .410 I shot high single digits. It really ups your game!

Not what I’d ever use for birds in flight. Birds on the ground and small game it’s nicer than the 12ga on most levels IMHO

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    With a 410, I understand that I am sacrificing certain aspects, that said, I know people who only use bows on turkey. There are plenty of TV hunting shows and videos on the subject.

You do know that 22Plinkster can probably shoot a turkey's head off at 50 yards using a 22lr pistol, over his shoulder, using a mirror right? :-) I believe that the extra range a 3.5" 12g semi provides gives it the edge over the 410 provided your shoulder can take it. Let us know how you make out.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You do know that 22Plinkster can probably shoot a turkey's head off at 50 yards using a 22lr pistol, over his shoulder, using a mirror right? :-) I believe that the extra range a 3.5" 12g semi provides gives it the edge over the 410 provided your shoulder can take it. Let us know how you make out.
    The shoulder has been fubar since I tore it and surgery didn't work. It's more of a matter of nursing the shoulder for the rest of my life. I'll be 65 this May. It's not much fun shooting 3"-31/2" mags with your back against a tree trunk. I've been using that gun since they came out. I bought it at Sports Authority, to give you an idea how long it's been. I'm not into pain so much these days so I figure it's time to downsize a bit. I really like that TriStar Viper that 94hoakie showed us so I'm going to read up on some reviews later today.
    Thanks

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Bass Pro site says they have some in Arundel Mills. $600.00 there. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/tri...shotgun-with-pistol-grip-in-truetimber-strata
    I just ordered one into BPS in Hanover. I didn't really have time to run out there and try and grab one in stock. This way, it will be guaranteed to be there. The one on CTD must have been an earlier version. I don't think it came with the picatinny rail and probably wasn't even tapped for one, which was probably why it was cheaper(than dirt).

The gun is a turkey gun manufactured in Turkey. How apropos! I watched a few YouTubes on it and people seemed to like it and were pleased with its functionality.

Thanks for all the input guys. I appreciate all yous taking the time.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I have a Tristar 410 O/U I purchased about 4 years ago. I have many shotguns in pump , semiauto, single ang doubled. I have been partial to double barrel shotguns as I learned on them as a young kid. I have not used my 410 O/U for turkey yet but may. I have shot many squirrel, rabbit, raccoon and a few opossum with it. Dont underestimate the 410 for turkey. That turkeys head is tiny as a quarter and all you need is one BB in that head or neck. Your not doing body shots so any gauge will kill. I have seen the 410 turkey shells online. I dont mind spending a few bucks on five shells. Im only shooting one turkey and not wasting them if I do go. Sounds like fun.
    imageTomturkey (63).jpg
    imageTomturkey (4).jpg

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Wait a minute I just watched the video from Henry.
    Henry should be making those in a repeater.

That way, a person could goose hunt around here with one and with a 1 a day bag limit currently in effect, I bet they could get a bunch of shooting in till they killed one.
    75 yards take a turkey head right off?
    One of those ought to do with a goose as it would a turkey right?

Finally an 80 yard goose gun with booj ammo thats not a 10 gauge mag and someone who thinks they're doing 80 when they aint, marketed for turkey hunting.
    Henry knocks it out of the park again!

Anyway, looks like it shot low in the Henry video at both 20 and 30 to me.
    Or, shooter error came into effect becuase of a distraction-video production.
    Shooter should of held better and followed through is what I see.

Really, I think someone who has the skill patience and the need, to get in close could do alright with one of those if they had to.
    75 yards? Hold a little higher I would suggest otherwise.
    Good luck this spring to all! Before you know it it will be time to go.
    Dont forget, participate in the wild turkey survey this year too initiated by the DNR.
    Its in February and can be found on their web page last time I checked.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    What is the point in choosing a .410 when there is many better suited options?

A 12 gauge with tungsten shells GREATLY increases your ability to successfully harvest a bird. If recoil is an issue, step down to 20 gauge. But the ballistics / pattern / ability to kill difference between 20 gauge and 410 is DRASTIC.

I would not recommend 410 for turkey. Can it be done? Sure, anything can be done. I've known guys who killed deer with a .22LR. Doesn't mean you should.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Suckers are hard enough to kill with a big gun! Watch these youngins blow it a season or two ago.
    And they're no pilgrims when it comes to getting it done either.
    I'm not sure a LGB open door two barrel blast would have gotten it done after all that hard work.
    I forgot to mention earlier, somethings up with the reproductive characteristics of some of these stockers that grabbed on the last few years. I cant remember what exactly the biologist described to me but it has to do with hens, eggs bacteria destroying the poult establishment etc.
    Maybe thats why they encouraged additional fall seasons/hens etc on lands where they know active baiting for deer has transpired all season?
    Thats just another conclusion I jumped to, for the record.
    Need to do some follow up for sure.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    What is the point in choosing a .410 when there is many better suited options?

A 12 gauge with tungsten shells GREATLY increases your ability to successfully harvest a bird. If recoil is an issue, step down to 20 gauge. But the ballistics / pattern / ability to kill difference between 20 gauge and 410 is DRASTIC.

I would not recommend 410 for turkey. Can it be done? Sure, anything can be done. I've known guys who killed deer with a .22LR. Doesn't mean you should.
    Do some homework. The ballistics are the same. Range is the same.

As far as missing goes, every true turkey hunter has missed a time or two. It's part of hunting.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Do some homework. The ballistics are the same. Range is the same.

As far as missing goes, every true turkey hunter has missed a time or two. It's part of hunting.
    Thats right Outrider.
    Why, becuase we all actually do these things and have experienced both the wins and the losses.
    I just like to put perspective into a discussion. And........... I probably missed 50 turkeys too.
    Give it a whirl and let us know how it goes.
    Just because you have a shotgun, doesn't mean you have to use it on a turkey some day anyway!
    Maybe you'll decide to let one walk and be just as good with the decision you made, not by some other!
    But if you do, it will be more the sweeter when you pop one nice clean and close.
    Which is what is really all about, just being lucky enough to be there doing it in the first place.
    The biggest win, in my book.
    Good luck this year when you go out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom