• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Buffalo does a first class job on videos. Especially for a guy "with a head like a 5 gallon bucket"! :) has a sense of humor too.

Good demo of the factory turkey tube pattern vs. highly recognized Carlson. Results seems to me like "pick em". What I WISH he'd have done though, is throw a modified tube in that gun, and throw a round on target. There seems to be mentions of even better patterns with TSS, and a more open modified choke. Counterintuitive I know, but stranger things have happened. I wonder what a caliper would show as the ID of that tube?

Nice mention on his opinion regarding the "why" behind the pistol grip too. He (or somebody) anticipated a question that I think may well arise with many.

Looks like a nice shotgun! NICE buck too! Not sure how I missed that. Maybe you posted that pic a tad later. Hoyt takedown, huh? Impressive!
    I will try that once I get the gun and build up a supply of ammo. The gun should come with an assortment of factory chokes.

Not her biggest buck, but considering the method, probably will be one of her most memorable. Not bad for a Wisconsin farm gal!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Yessir, will do. I'll first need a willing participant(turkey :D ).

Here's a little video on patterning. Just as my 12ga has always had a red dot on it, so will my 410. AFAIC, they are a must when dialing in a pattern. I'm not big on the turkey scopes that are out now.

That turkey needs Lazarus.

Might be in luck. We have one of them around here somewhere.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    I will try that once I get the gun and build up a supply of ammo. The gun should come with an assortment of factory chokes.

Not her biggest buck, but considering the method, probably will be one of her most memorable. Not bad for a Wisconsin farm gal!

Yep. Should get 4 tubes. Thanks!

Amen on the gal.

Determination and persistence.

I know one like that. Good hunter. (Might not be the best of ideas to make her mad either.)

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Ballistics? You are spraying pellets at a target, the more you have the higher the hit probability. 1 1/2oz vs 13/16oz. Yes they are the same velocity but you get 54% more chances to hit your target with a 20ga. Do some homework.

Why do you think the standard for turkey is the 12ga? A .410 will work but a 12ga will be more effective. A 20ga semi will have a lot less recoil than a 12ga pump and be twice as effective as a .410. It's up to Outrider to decide, I was just giving my opinion.
    You missed my sarcasm. I agree with you. OP doesn't.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    A while ago a fishing guide in Alaska killed a Grizzly with a 9mm that was attacking his clients.

I think after the .410/turkey deal you should do that.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You missed my sarcasm. I agree with you. OP doesn't.
    I'm sorry. Did I hurt your feelings?

Instead of coming here to shitalk, why don't you try reading some of the information others have contributed to this thread?

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    The cylinder and the barrel would probably be problematic. Three shot limit for turkey hunting and I'm not sure about the barrel. Is it rifled? And it doesn't have interchangeable chokes.
    They are indeed rifled barrels, IIRC. That's how it can be sold in MD - as a rifle, not a shotgun. It's essentially the bigger brother of the Taurus Judge.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    They are indeed rifled barrels, IIRC. That's how it can be sold in MD - as a rifle, not a shotgun. It's the bigger brother of the Taurus Judge.
    I thought so. I've shot Judges, with both .45Colt and 410 deer slugs, but never 410 'shot'.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I thought so. I've shot Judges, with both .45Colt and 410 deer slugs, but never 410 'shot'.
    I have the S&W governor, which is equivalent. Normal shot is crap through it - patterns open up immediately. It's really for 45 colt and .410 buckshot and slugs with wads designed to engage with rifling (federal has some awesome .410 options for this purpose). Imagine the same is true of the rossi.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Henry .410 lever with the choke of your choice = my favorite and classy as it gets.

Attachments

• Henry .410.jpg
      Henry .410.jpg
      85.8 KB · Views: 65

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    A .410 bore with tungsten shot most assuredly isn't what many of us grew up with as kids. That combo hasn't been around long enough to have time to change perceptions held for years.

The video in post 58 shows at least 30 pellets to the turkey's neck and head. From a .410 bore. I didn't expect this. I don't think many others did either.

Watch the video from 12 minutes to 13 minutes 30 seconds. Freeze the applicable frames.

That turkey, I dare say gentlemen, is dead.

And it's not only merely dead...

It's really most sincerely dead!

Anybody remember when a 12 or 20ga. shotgun with Foster or Brenneke slugs was pretty much all there was? As in a proven killer, IF you could deliver it? MAYBE minute of pie plate at 30 yards? In a good shotgun?

Technology.....
    It can be pretty amazing sometimes. Maybe in this case too.

Some more history:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    A .410 bore with tungsten shot most assuredly isn't what many of us grew up with as kids. That combo hasn't been around long enough to have time to change perceptions held for years.

The video in post 58 shows at least 30 pellets to the turkey's neck and head. From a .410 bore. I didn't expect this. I don't think many others did either.

Watch the video from 12 minutes to 13 minutes 30 seconds. Freeze the applicable frames.

That turkey, I dare say gentlemen, is dead.

And it's not only merely dead...

It's really most sincerely dead!

Anybody remember when a 12 or 20ga. shotgun with Foster or Brenneke slugs was pretty much all there was? As in a proven killer, IF you could deliver it? MAYBE minute of pie plate at 30 yards? In a good shotgun?

Technology.....
    It can be pretty amazing sometimes. Maybe in this case too.

Some more history:

Just like I said, ought to be good for goose hunting.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I saw that Mossberg and it is in the running. My current turkey gun is a Mossberg 835 ulti-mag 3.5" 12ga. I'm trying to move away from that gun. It packs a wallop and with my later years and bad shoulder, it's time I tried something a little less punishing. Plus, I feel a 410 will be much lighter to carry.

I have no problem with a longer barrel. I need a gun with reach.
    Length of the barrel has pretty much nothing to do with the choke/pattern of the gun. Once you get past 20" or so, all the powder is burned up and you are not gaining anything in velocity. Longer forcing cones might help with less pellet deformation, but that is about it. After that, it all comes down to the choke tube and what the gun likes. A 40" barrel will not give you an improved pattern over a 25" barrel if the same choke tube is used.

If my shoulder/body was really hurting, I think I would just use a 3" shell and an additional mercury recoil reducer on my 12 gauge before I went to a smaller bore.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Length of the barrel has pretty much nothing to do with the choke/pattern of the gun. Once you get past 20" or so, all the powder is burned up and you are not gaining anything in velocity. Longer forcing cones might help with less pellet deformation, but that is about it. After that, it all comes down to the choke tube and what the gun likes. A 40" barrel will not give you an improved pattern over a 25" barrel if the same choke tube is used.

If my shoulder/body was really hurting, I think I would just use a 3" shell and an additional mercury recoil reducer on my 12 gauge before I went to a smaller bore.
    Admittedly, I'm not a shotgun man. I was considering velocity more than pattern density. As of now, I only own one shotgun if you discount my Savage 220. The 12ga is out for now.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

That's why I sugessted the semi auto 20ga. Much less recoil than a 12ga pump, but twice as many pellets as a .410. Time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom