• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Don't you need to dry fire every time you convert the slide? That was a big turn-off for me...

Well then you're missing out for no reason.

On the Glock, yes you have to dry fire it just like if you were taking it down for cleaning. It does no harm to the slide whatsoever. I have more than 15,000 rounds through my AA kit and it functions perfectly.

Why are you afraid to dry fire? If you practice basic handgun safety nothing bad is gonna happen.

What do u think is gonna happen by dry firing?

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    My son loved shooting my S&W 4006, so I started looking for a 22 handgun for us to be able to shoot cheaply. After all the research I decided on a Ruger MkII. Since they are out of production and I really didn't want the added 'features' of the MK III. I hunted down a used Mk II. It is sweet. It's accurate and fun to shoot. My son prefers it over all other guns so far. If you already like the Mk II, find a used one you like and jump on it.

Rob.

Good way to go !!!!!

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    I have the Sig 1911-22 (made by GSG).
    When I first got it, I noticed a bit of drag which would prevent the slide from returning to battery. Upon closer inspection, I found that the drag was coming from the cocking lug. (see photo below). With the recoil spring on the .22 being so light, just the slightest resistance has a huge impact.

(the pic is not of my Sig, but it shows the area where I'm talking about)
    cocking_lug.jpg

The cocking lug on my Sig 1911-22 showed file marks and was slightly uneven, which added friction.
    I took a flat piece of wood (similar to a popsicle stick) and used 800grit, 1000grit, and then 1500grit emory cloth to smooth out the file marks and even out the cocking lug. Then I used a Dremel with a buffing wheel and compound to polish it. This smoothed out the action and allowed the slide to slam into battery with no friction, as it should.

Since doing this mod, my Sig has been 100% reliable and I've had no further issues. It feels like a "real" 1911, it's exceptionally accurate, and is a LOT of fun to shoot. But it did require a little tweaking. ;)

DSC05428.jpg

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    I've had a Mark II for 20+ years and can't speak too highly of it. That said, I've also got about 4 bricks through my GSG-1911 and like that, too. Nice trigger and no problems ex the original barrel bushing broke. ATI sent a replacement in less than a week.

If the barrel bushing broke, you probably have a model that was built prior to them doing the upgrades.
    The upgrades consisted of a steel barrel bushing, a redesigned guide rod and spring, and a redesigned guide rod plug.

It might be worth a phone call to ATI.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    I've had a Mark II for 20+ years and can't speak too highly of it. That said, I've also got about 4 bricks through my GSG-1911 and like that, too. Nice trigger and no problems ex the original barrel bushing broke. ATI sent a replacement in less than a week.

The way this is written, it sounds like you don't like your Ruger MkII, but the context makes it sound like you do like it.

You might want to clarify this for the OP.

Rob

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    The way this is written, it sounds like you don't like your Ruger MkII, but the context makes it sound like you do like it.

Rob

I would imagine that since the Ruger has an even more rediculous grip angle than a Glock that shooting it does not really cross over to other pistols. Like I said in my original post it is great if you can get a 22 that matches something you use for real.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I have the Sig 1911-22 (made by GSG).
    When I first got it, I noticed a bit of drag which would prevent the slide from returning to battery. Upon closer inspection, I found that the drag was coming from the cocking lug. (see photo below). With the recoil spring on the .22 being so light, just the slightest resistance has a huge impact.

(the pic is not of my Sig, but it shows the area where I'm talking about)
    cocking_lug.jpg

The cocking lug on my Sig 1911-22 showed file marks and was slightly uneven, which added friction.
    I took a flat piece of wood (similar to a popsicle stick) and used 800grit, 1000grit, and then 1500grit emory cloth to smooth out the file marks and even out the cocking lug. Then I used a Dremel with a buffing wheel and compound to polish it. This smoothed out the action and allowed the slide to slam into battery with no friction, as it should.

Since doing this mod, my Sig has been 100% reliable and I've had no further issues. It feels like a "real" 1911, it's exceptionally accurate, and is a LOT of fun to shoot. But it did require a little tweaking. ;)

DSC05428.jpg
    That reminds me of the Kel Tek fluff and buff. A lot of manufacturers neglect areas not commonly seen. Anymore I don't trust manufacturers to finish a lot of the details and prefer to fit/finish a lot of them myself.

If the barrel bushing broke, you probably have a model that was built prior to them doing the upgrades.
    The upgrades consisted of a steel barrel bushing, a redesigned guide rod and spring, and a redesigned guide rod plug.

It might be worth a phone call to ATI.

Actually, they sent a redesigned guide rod and spring and a new plug without my asking. The gun wasn't as accurate with the new rod and spring, so I put the old ones back. My gun didn't come with the x-profile (plastic?) rod I've read about on the earlier guns. Mine came with a metal guide rod and spring tapered front to back. The new spring was all one diameter.

Anyway, like I said, the old parts worked better, so I changed them back and have been perfectly happy so far.

Rob

Lest there be any misunderstanding, I like my Mark II a lot. Re the grip angle issue raised in a subsequent post, I shoot a Luger a good bit and the grip angles are about the same. As a matter of fact, I usually take my Mark II along when I'm taking my Luger and warm up on the Mark II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom