• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Went shooting the other week with my father in law and his new Ruger Mk II.

I was looking in the case at Freestate and seen a couple of the GSG 1911 .22s and was wondering if anyone had anything to say about them.

Thanks,

Richb

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I would look for a 22 that mimics as closely as possable what you would be using for real. My personal 22 pistol choice is the S&W22A. Great OTD price and availability. Extra barrels of different lengths and options available. Standard full length weaver rails allow limitless optical options. I am working on modifying a softair grip to fit so it will be like my Houged CZ clone.

Attachments

• 22a Dotted.jpg
      22a Dotted.jpg
      62.7 KB · Views: 299
    • 22a scopeed.jpg
      22a scopeed.jpg
      55.3 KB · Views: 292

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I have used the S&W 22A, the Ruger Mark II/III, the Browing Buckmark and the Sig Mosquito. All are great guns to shoot with, especially for new shooters.

The Sig Mosquito requires CCI (or better ) ammo, but does start working with the bulk Winchester/Fderal/Remington after about 500-1000 rounds break-in period.

I have my order in for the new Ruger SR22 and will let everyone know how if shoots when I get it!

If you want to shoot any of the .22 pistols I have, let me know and we can meet out at the AGC or even FreeState. You bring the ammo and I will bring the guns! I even have a RUger Single Six and a Charter Arms Pathfinder (if you lik revolvers).

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Its hard to beat a Ruger 22/45. Probably one of the best, if not the best, 22lr pistol available. Some say its difficult to disassemble and reassemble but I dont share that opinion. Its well built, accurate, and will last a lifetime.

The GSG 1911's have gotten pretty good reviews but some have had a few small issues. However, those who have had an issue or two have said that GSG handled and corrected the issue quickly. The main complaint I hear about them is in regards to the finish. Many have said it doesnt hold up very well and that it shows wear very quickly.

mckraut

Apr 14, 2009
    Abingdon, MD
    I am also looking for a .22 pistol so I'll be following this thread closely. I'd love a Buckmark, but any of the ones I want I can't find anywhere. I got my hands on a 22/45 but didn't like the grip one bit.

Eddie Van

Dude
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hollywood Star Lanes
    I'm with Hvymax on the S&W 22a.

Removing the magazine "safety" (how a mechanism that DECREASES reliability is a "safety" I'll never know...) makes this reliable, in addition to being accurate.

Last edited:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Its hard to beat a Ruger 22/45. Probably one of the best, if not the best, 22lr pistol available. Some say its difficult to disassemble and reassemble but I dont share that opinion. Its well built, accurate, and will last a lifetime.

The GSG 1911's have gotten pretty good reviews but some have had a few small issues. However, those who have had an issue or two have said that GSG handled and corrected the issue quickly. The main complaint I hear about them is in regards to the finish. Many have said it doesnt hold up very well and that it shows wear very quickly.

:thumbsup:

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    I've got a S&W M&P22. It's a great firearm for plinking. Good balance, smooth action, and no complaints on the trigger. Lately I've been shooting it about once a week.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I've got a Ruger MKII that is silly accurate and pretty quiet with my suppressor. It's fun to shoot, but my favorite .22 pistol is my Glock 17 with Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit. Runs great with the recommended crappy Remmy Golden Bullet ammo. Those GSG 1911's look like fun, but I'd be a little concerned about the pot metal slides on them.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    It's fun to shoot, but my favorite .22 pistol is my Glock 17 with Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit. Runs great with the recommended crappy Remmy Golden Bullet ammo.

Love the AA kit I have for my G34. Sent it off to Mike Pappas at Silencerco and had him thread it. It runs great with my 22Sparrow and eats any ammo I put through it.

I also love the Sig 22 conversion kit I have for my P226 Elite. Just like the AA kit it runs 100% suppressed or unsuppressed with any ammo I run through it.

IMAG0151.jpg

AA kit shown on my recently sold Glock 17's frame. Now I run it on my G34's OD frame.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I'm very happy with my Browning Buckmark. It is very accurate and loves cheap bulk Federal ammo. It's hard for me to have a chance shoot it at club pistol shoots, because there is always someone who wants to borrow it. Check one out at the store or at the range. When I held it for the first time it was so comfortable that it was an easy choice for me.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I would look for a 22 that mimics as closely as possable what you would be using for real. My personal 22 pistol choice is the S&W22A. Great OTD price and availability. Extra barrels of different lengths and options available. Standard full length weaver rails allow limitless optical options. I am working on modifying a softair grip to fit so it will be like my Houged CZ clone.

That is cool, does the working of the action throw the scope off or does it still hold zero being whacked back and forth?

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    I have been around Ruger Mark II and III they are a great pistol for the money very hard to beat. It would be my choice over the S7W 22A or buckmark and sig .

I shoot a S&W mod 41 it is not a first pistol for someone and not real cheap but a great pistol. The Ruger would be a very good choice.

markc

Apr 9, 2011
    Love the AA kit I have for my G34. Sent it off to Mike Pappas at Silencerco and had him thread it. It runs great with my 22Sparrow and eats any ammo I put through it.

I also love the Sig 22 conversion kit I have for my P226 Elite. Just like the AA kit it runs 100% suppressed or unsuppressed with any ammo I run through it.

IMAG0151.jpg

AA kit shown on my recently sold Glock 17's frame. Now I run it on my G34's OD frame.

Don't you need to dry fire every time you convert the slide? That was a big turn-off for me...

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    I just took my GSG 1911 to the range today - great little gun that looks and feels like a 1911 - ie:no tupperware parts...

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    My son loved shooting my S&W 4006, so I started looking for a 22 handgun for us to be able to shoot cheaply. After all the research I decided on a Ruger MkII. Since they are out of production and I really didn't want the added 'features' of the MK III. I hunted down a used Mk II. It is sweet. It's accurate and fun to shoot. My son prefers it over all other guns so far. If you already like the Mk II, find a used one you like and jump on it.

Rob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom