• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    For the guys who carry all the time:

What do you think about a CCW that has a safety? The P938 which I have settled on, I think, you obviously would carry with the hammer back and the safety engaged. Not sure I wouldn't rather have a DA/SA.

Opinions?
    You'll feel better when you go to re-holster (even though you should treat it like a striker fire pistol, where police chiefs have managed to get the draw string from their jackets in the trigger guard and negligently misfired them in gun stores) .

Developing the habit if flicking the safety off is not too difficult or time consuming.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

What do you think about a CCW that has a safety? The P938 which I have settled on, I think, you obviously would carry with the hammer back and the safety engaged. Not sure I wouldn't rather have a DA/SA.

Opinions?

For the most part a non issue providing you train with it all the time. If I where to start carrying a 1911 tomorrow and had to use it tomorrow night, I would be unlikely to disengage the safety under stress. You need to train with it dryfiring ,practice drawing from the holster and manipulating the safety. Do this a couple of hundred times then practice live fire. When holstering use caution reholstering, keep your finger off the trigger, and upply pressure to the safety in the direction it engages (makes it not go bang) make sure your your holster is clear and go SLOOOOOOW and stop if you feel excessive pressure. If you use leather do a few hundred insertions and removals from the holster while its unloaded and you're watching TV. If you use kydex no need for break in but you may need to adjust the tension. Buy a holster with loops not clips and roll down the road.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    I carry a Glock. :D
    Heretic. :D

Back to the question that prompted the above apostasy - it comes down to preference and options. 1911 and CZ75 - cocked and locked. XD - chambered but not 100% comfortable with it. The "off safe then fire" method became ingrained thanks to the way the Army wanted me to carry a rifle. The XD has a grip and trigger safety, but I don't carry it enough to trust it fully.

Just bought an LCP and it's chambered when I carry it. Personally more comfortable with a double-action trigger than the dual safeties on the XD. Speaking of, need to go visit the LCP carry thread and look into some purchases.

EDIT: solid advice from Mopar above.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Behind College of Southern Maryland.....home based licensed....not a stocking dealer but keep a small inventory. More into Armourer work and gun cleaning plus I do a fair amount of transfers...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

jrwhitt

May 27, 2012

Opinions?

I have a P938 which I'm happy to carry cocked and locked. Big reason I bought the P938 is the other handguns I carry (when allowed to) are 1911's or Browning High Powers. As mentioned in the Lucky Gunner article I wanted something with the same Manual of Arms.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I wanted something with the same Manual of Arms.

Yep, I'm having difficulty making that decision. The only other gun I have is a P226 DA/SA so I was hoping to get something similar but the P938 is the best size and caliber option for me. I want small small super small 9mm and I thought it would be the Glock 43 but side by side the 43 is huge.

jrwhitt

May 27, 2012
    Yep, I'm having difficulty making that decision. The only other gun I have is a P226 DA/SA so I was hoping to get something similar but the P938 is the best size and caliber option for me. I want small small super small 9mm and I thought it would be the Glock 43 but side by side the 43 is huge.

Unlike many small guns the P938 is fun to shoot - I highly recommend them

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    Unlike many small guns the P938 is fun to shoot - I highly recommend them

I haven't shot the 938 but I have a 238 which is the .380 little brother and it's a joy to shoot. Waaaaay better than my LCP. The 938 is on my list to get but not at the top at the moment.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

Opinions?

One of my carry guns is a CZ P07, carried cocked and locked. Since I use a double-stack 1911 and a CZ SP-01 in competition, I'm used to running the safety so it's ingrained in my draw for bigger pistols, enough where I don't have to think about it, it just happens. I'm relegating that to IDPA ESP after I get another snubby .38 Special or .357 Magnum.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD

P239 is something similar to your 226 and has the same controls and manual of arms.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Anyone ever have the concern of the safety accidentally clicking off in the holster? I know it should be loaded and ready to go but having that hammer back, in a pocket holster, is a little unnerving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom