• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alten2122

Mar 20, 2013
    Hi all, I am here to learn more than anything else. I don't own any firearms, it am looking to buy at least a shotgun and handgun soon. The shotgun, I am fairly certain I know what I want...the handgun, no idea. Please offer any advice you may have.

I am mainly interested for home protection, and not looking to break the bank. Shotgun, looking at a Mossberg Maverick 88 Security...thoughts?

Thanks, and I'm open to any advice for going forward.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Welcome aboard. Maverick or 500 is a perfect place to start. Handgun is personal preference. If I had it to do over, my first handgun would be a Ruger, probably a GP100, Blackhawk, or SR45.

rnish

May 24, 2012
    Hi all, I am here to learn more than anything else. I don't own any firearms, it am looking to buy at least a shotgun and handgun soon. The shotgun, I am fairly certain I know what I want...the handgun, no idea. Please offer any advice you may have.

I am mainly interested for home protection, and not looking to break the bank. Shotgun, looking at a Mossberg Maverick 88 Security...thoughts?

Thanks, and I'm open to any advice for going forward.

1. Slow down
    2. First gun should be a revolver 4-6 inch barrel,38 spc or 357 (a 357 can also shoot 38 spc).
    3. Dont panic buy the shotgun they are not going to be restricted. Looks like just AR's in MD. The bill will fail at the federal level.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 366

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]HOW to APPLY for a MARYLAND Carry Permit[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]MDS Logo Gear[/FONT]http://www.mdshooters.com/gear/

Hatter

NEWB - Slack Appreciated!
    Mar 6, 2013
    Stewartstown, PA
    Welcome! I just went through the same sort of process (tho I chose to go with an automatic rather than a revolver). The 357/38SP choice was one I considered, and it is a good idea.

The best procedure for me to choose a gun was to try as many as possible. There are plenty of gun ranges around that will rent you multiple guns to try. For me, shooting at least half a box (25 rounds) through each gun gave me a chance to get the feel of each one tried. I started at the low end of the scale with a 22, and then moved up to 38 (380 for an automatic), then 9mm, 40 cal, and 45. My decision was to choose a 9 mm gun since the ammo cost was less than the larger calibers, and I was more accurate with that round. I tried several guns in 9mm and found that I liked the SIG2022 - a polymer framed gun (read cheaper than a metal framed SIG).

I was looking for a gun that felt good in my hand while shooting, and that I could at least come close to hitting the target with.

Good luck with whatever you choose. You can find folks on here to recommend any number of manufacturers, models, and calibers. The trick is to choose the one you like rather than one someone else likes.

alten2122

Mar 20, 2013
    Thanks all. Let me clarify. I would be a n00b to owning, but have handled guns in the past...not a ton, but enough that I am quite familiar with the difference between what firing a .410 versus a 20 gauge versus a 12 gauge does, or the difference between firing a .22 LR versus an 8mm Mauser. Handguns, not as familiar though...but from what I gather, a 9mm semi will likely be the right choice, but I plan on going to a range and doing just what Hatter suggests. Maybe I'll find that I want something else, but an inexpensive .22 pistol would be cool too for cheaper practice at the range.

I am leaning toward a Mossberg for the shotgun, and maybe even towards a 20 gauge to feel that my wife could handle it comfortably too if she had to.

I work with plenty of current and former military, so have handy advice as needed, and would certainly be happy for one of them to accompany me to the range to help with advice....looking at making a trip to "On Target" in the next week or so. Good experience there, or other ranges you'd suggest?

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    welcome - Mossberg shotguns certainly have an excellent reputation.

I own a Mossberg 535 ATS all black 12 gauge - it is a keeper

alten2122

Mar 20, 2013
    Really eyeballing a Mossberg 500 Persuader that one of the Industry Partners appears to have in stock for under $300...

Hatter

NEWB - Slack Appreciated!
    Mar 6, 2013
    Stewartstown, PA
    On Target is the range I have shot at the most. You are limited to 2 boxes of ammo per visit and must use their ammo for rental guns. The rental guns are in pretty good shape, and they have lots of choices. You can trade out rental guns during your range time for no additional cost. The check in process is pretty easy, and the staff are friendly and helpful.

I am also shopping for a shotgun, and am pretty close to choosing between the Mossberg pump or auto version that has both a home defense (18.5 inch) and a sporting (28 inch) barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom