• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Identification of common chicory Is easy this time of year because the plants are in bloom and the blue flowers are easy to spot. Why would you want to recognize chicory? Because all parts of the plant are edible and the roots when roasted and ground provide a coffee substitute and/or extender; so if you need a cup of coffee in the morning to get started learn to spot chicory. Chicory grows wild in Maryland and is found along roadsides and in fields in the country.

I forgot to mention look for the flowers in the morning because during the hottest part of the day the flowers will close back up and seem to disappear. 8:00 AM flowers in full bloom, 12:00 Noon flowers starting to hide, 2:00 PM almost all flowers gone but they will be back in the morning.

Link to Chicory uses and history:

Link to identification:

Link to roasting roots and making coffee:

Last edited:

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Identification of common chicory Is easy this time of year because the plants are in bloom and the blue flowers are easy to spot. Why would you want to recognize chicory? Because all parts of the plant are edible and the roots when roasted and ground provide a coffee substitute and/or extender; so if you need a cup of coffee in the morning to get started learn to spot chicory. Chicory grows wild in Maryland and is found along roadsides and in fields in the country.

I forgot to mention look for the flowers in the morning because during the hottest part of the day the flowers will close back up and seem to disappear. 8:00 AM flowers in full bloom, 12:00 Noon flowers starting to hide, 2:00 PM almost all flowers gone but they will be back in the morning.

Link to Chicory uses and history:

Link to identification:

Link to roasting roots and making coffee:

When I lived in New Orleans you could buy Community coffee with chicory in it. It is an aquired taste and makes a strong brew. The only coffee I had that was stronger was when I was in Iraq made on a camp fire by our interpiter.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Luzianne is a chicory mix coffee in a vacuum pack. It's my go to. Just cut back on the amount if it's too strong for you. Community is better I think but only mail order I believe.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

WatTyler

Ultimate Member
    Been ordering Community by the case for years. I'm glad I stacked it like ammo, because the price is shooting up, like everything else. As an FYI, Community also sells straight roasted chicory by the pound, so you can roll your own blend with any off-the-shelf coffee.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Just noticed the first wild chicory plants are in bloom, so now is the time to look for it so you can learn to identify it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom