• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    A rimless cartridge needs to headspace off of something inside chamber right so I bet a9x19 may chamber too deep to get a good strike from firing pin and may puncture primer when or if it actually fires as the bullet moves back. 2mm is a LONG way

Good point. I don't know the answer, because I don't know how much the firing pin on one of those will reach.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    This all might be for nothing. I was just looking at C&R P1's at Century and they say I do NOT have an FFL. They have my FFL03 on file and I have an account with them. I read about them NOT shipping to Maryland FFL03.

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    This all might be for nothing. I was just looking at C&R P1's at Century and they say I do NOT have an FFL. They have my FFL03 on file and I have an account with them. I read about them NOT shipping to Maryland FFL03.
    I just received a P38 from Century on my 03? Call and ask for josh, he's my goto guy at Century, not sure why you got a rejection?

Glad to be back on the OP's question.

Eddie O

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    It's always a tough decision, and we aren't the only ones who have had to make it. Most of the early planes at the NASM on the mall probably look better now than they ever did, and they certainly look better than they did when they were out in the field. In the early days of the museum, the objective of the restorers (many were volunteers) was to make the planes look as good as possible. Since many were rebuilt from the ground up, the end product was a showpiece far nicer than the original ever was.

The professional restoration staff now takes meticulous care to mark every piece as being original or reproduction, and they are far more cognizant of the fact that a machine that was in a war or setting records with long-distance flights did not look like a new car in an auto dealer's showroom ... but the fact remains that the uneducated public still wants to see pretty planes with shiny paint jobs, rather than war-scarred relics with oil stains, field-patched bullet holes, and paint faded from sitting on a flight line in the tropical sun or brutal winter conditions.

It seems to me that our job is to educate our own MDS "public" to know the difference between original and honest wear, arsenal refurb work that's also part of the firearm's history, a conservation or restoration job intended to make an almost-hopeless and badly neglected piece into something that will live longer, and a shiny-looking inauthentic "hot rod" of a firearm that didn't need to be touched by Bubba.
    Very well said
    Eddie O

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    Pics!!!!!
    I have no idea why I even bother to do this, particularly from a member who is misusing his 03FFL to openly advertise and sell weapons. This practice will one day come back and bite all true collectors in the ass when ATF does away with the 03 status. It's no wonder folks like Century stop dealing with 03FFL holders.

Anyway here are your photographs, you will notice that this true K98 was just finished to the point as not to harm any of the proofs yet give me a weapon when finished will be in as issued condition.

I have a second K98, Battle Scared but in acceptable condition that will never see sandpaper as long as I am alive.

This sidetrack is way off the OP's Post and for my part ends here. I believe the Israelis are two faced in grinding down, retooling and restocking K98's and hacking P38's. Then issuing these weapons or selling them directly to American Collectors, as if grinding off the proof marks would somehow wash the blood from the Weapons.

I'm tired of hijacking the OP's Post, NO MORE PICTURES.

By the way when you get chance read your 03FFL Rules. Can you say OCCASIONAL SALES TO IMPROVE YOUR COLLECTION?

Eddie O

Attachments

• K98 1.jpg
      K98 1.jpg
      24.9 KB · Views: 86
    • K98 2.jpg
      K98 2.jpg
      41.8 KB · Views: 79
    • K98 3.jpg
      K98 3.jpg
      30.4 KB · Views: 83
    • K98 4.jpg
      K98 4.jpg
      58.3 KB · Views: 86

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I have no idea why I even bother to do this, particularly from a member who is misusing his 03FFL to openly advertise and sell weapons. This practice will one day come back and bite all true collectors in the ass when ATF does away with the 03 status. It's no wonder folks like Century stop dealing with 03FFL holders.

Anyway here are your photographs, you will notice that this true K98 was just finished to the point as not to harm any of the proofs yet give me a weapon when finished will be in as issued condition.

I have a second K98, Battle Scared but in acceptable condition that will never see sandpaper as long as I am alive.

This sidetrack is way off the OP's Post and for my part ends here. I believe the Israelis are two faced in grinding down, retooling and restocking K98's and hacking P38's. Then issuing these weapons or selling them directly to American Collectors, as if grinding off the proof marks would somehow wash the blood from the Weapons.

I'm tired of hijacking the OP's Post, NO MORE PICTURES.

By the way when you get chance read your 03FFL Rules. Can you say OCCASIONAL SALES TO IMPROVE YOUR COLLECTION?

Eddie O

*throws down microphone and walks off stage*

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Well, now I am not gonna say anything nice about your rifle even though i was gonna. I just would like to know How did this become a YS bashing thread by me posting about a new handgun being imported?

/flame on

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    Well, now I am not gonna say anything nice about your rifle even though i was gonna. I just would like to know How did this become a YS bashing thread by me posting about a new handgun being imported?

/flame on
    Simple I expressed a "personal opinion" that I believed the weapons coming from Century were Hacks no matter how good the Smithing was and I got called on the carpet. Secondly as a "collector" I take offense to another 03 posting for multiple sales of Weapons that could impact on all 03 holders sometime in the future. I apologies for the open post, I should have done that in a PM.

Let me restart, the retooled Post war German Police P1's in non-original 9X21 may well be Nice looking good shooters if Euro Ammo can be found in the future. I consider them more a curiosity than a Relic but coincide they may have some value in the "Bubba Collectors Market" again my opinion.

My intent was to caution those entering the "Collectors Market" to research the weapon, as a properly stamped Post War P1 in abundant 9mm Luger are still available for about the same money and by far from "my view as a collector" are a much better value.

As for my 03 sales comment I was out of line and openly apologies.

Eddie O

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Simple I expressed a "personal opinion" that I believed the weapons coming from Century were Hacks no matter how good the Smithing was and I got called on the carpet. Secondly as a "collector" I take offense to another 03 posting for multiple sales of Weapons that could impact on all 03 holders sometime in the future. I apologies for the open post, I should have done that in a PM.

Let me restart, the retooled Post war German Police P1's in non-original 9X21 may well be Nice looking good shooters if Euro Ammo can be found in the future. I consider them more a curiosity than a Relic but coincide they may have some value in the "Bubba Collectors Market" again my opinion.

My intent was to caution those entering the "Collectors Market" to research the weapon, as a properly stamped Post War P1 in abundant 9mm Luger are still available for about the same money and by far from "my view as a collector" are a much better value.

As for my 03 sales comment I was out of line and openly apologies.

Eddie O

Said like a gentleman.

Eddie ... apologize to Sled and give him a hug.

Sled ... accept the apology and give Eddie a hug.

No need to pick out drapes together, or even have a beer in the rose garden, but let's not have two of the real experts here in a tif (or even a gif or jpg) with each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom