• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MudRhino

Jul 8, 2011
    I tried searching but got tons of irrelevant hits. I am looking for combat pistol instruction/training. I have done some reading on point shooting and am definitely interested but as I know very little about tactical encounters, I am trying to learn as much as I can and am open to just about any type/method of quality instruction. Can anyone recommend a class within about an hour of DC or some quality DVDs/videos? Any help would be most appreciated!

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Check out the IP section. All of the trainers there have very good reputations. I am certain that you will find one that is a good fit.
    One that is not listed is Engage Instructor, works at Engage Armament. He is the only one I have taken a class from. I was very impressed.

MudRhino

Jul 8, 2011
    Can a video critique and correct your flaws, or answer your specific questions???

True. I am definitely looking to take a class but am also hoping to learn as much as I can in the meantime. I certainly have questions but if I am going to pay for instruction, I hope to go in with as many relevant and specific questions as possible. I feel like DVDs/videos may help me to brainstorm/gather my thoughts and figure out just what it is that I don't know and need to learn.

http://www.panteaoproductions.com/
    i dont know anything about this but it seems like they have top notch trainers.
    Thanks man, this sight looks great to do a little homework/background.

Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but please check out our Defensive Handgun I class....
    PM Sent!

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    Get as much force on force as possible. It shows you what you are doing wrong and right really fast.

Engage Instructor

Industry Partner
    Oct 27, 2011
    First of all, Thank you very much Dave for the compliment. As for the video instruction vs. In Person Instruction here is my take on that. Videos are a great source for different perspectives on up-to-date firearms instruction. The down side is what the shooter perceives as correctly mimicking or practicing something taught on a video. If you choose to follow and practice a certain technique without proper corrections made to your manipulation, you are practicing and permanently applying those fundamentals! Practice makes perfect, but practice also makes permanent! So make sure if you are going the video route only, that you are manipulating the weapon system EXACTLY how it is shown no more, no less. But I find that a lot of shooters are trying to change their shooting styles because of a new attachment or because their favorite instructor is using that style. EVERY instructor is different and they all practice different techniques to have the same outcome. I use my experiences in the military through training and real world application to customize my techniques to fit me. I have taken different things from different sources, either from videos, courses, or books to implement them into my training for myself or student shooters. As for in person instruction, you are going to get a lot more out of having someone knowledgeable right there with you critiquing you every step of the way. I am very wary of an instructor that is teaching a new style of shooting and calling it his own. From my experience, the basic fundamentals never change, just the way they are going about them. A lot of times when a instructor teaches a crazy new technique (especially instructors with a military and law enforcement background) it was from a one time instance where that technique was applicable for that situation alone. I am not saying that its not possible that the situation can happen again, it is just not applicable for anything the harry home owner would ever experience (Although it is fun to do!) An in-person instructor will pin point the failures in your techniques and give you multiple solutions to get you back on target. Just do your research and don't make everything you hear the gospel. I hope this was helpful and I am always available for questions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom