• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    There is almost zero parking on that fvcking campus. My daughter is a Junior there and any sporting event is a freaking nightmare. So many buildings and no way for people to park there, it's insane.
    Another way to squeeze the middle class out of higher education

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    This is the College Park I remember...
    UM-1972-demo.jpg

SCL-1972.jpg

UM-1972-gas.jpg

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Very different. One of my two jobs while attending UMCP was on campus between classes, spent many a lunch break ( food wasn’t too bad) and evenings at Starlight for a few pitchers. Some hilarious crap went on there with a few buddies. Vous is there but as a new name, Bentley’s is still there, Town Hall is still there. The Cellar and Sante FE are gone. Tattoo shop up near the beltway ramp lasted a long time but is gone now. Can’t believe they are running a line right through campus! They have managed to keep the pavement on Rt1 a POS.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Worked at Litton / Amecom ( defense contractor ) back in the 80's, now long gone. Is the College Park Airport still there? Known to be the place where the first bomb was dropped out of an airplane. Is the 94th Aero Squadron still there?? ( very cool WW I era style restaurant )
    Airport is still there, and still the longest continuously operating airport in the world.

94th Aero is long gone, tore down and now a maintenance yard for MNCPPC.
    A lot of the old building from the Litton/"Toy Store" days are still there, but are now auto repair shops. Some still have the scifs still in them with the doors propped/blocked open.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Worked at Litton / Amecom ( defense contractor ) back in the 80's, now long gone.
    Do you/did you know a guy named Walt M., Paul P., or Larry R.?

They worked there, and I worked with Walt at the Capital Centre, where he tended bar.

I live three houses in from where Famished Fannie's used to be.

The Village Pump approves

The Electric Head weeps

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...

They worked there, and I worked with Walt at the Capital Centre, where he tended bar.

The Electric Head weeps
    No those names don't ring a bell in my old brain. I worked in the Mechanical Engineering Machine Shop. Litton did a lot of black box / ECM type research / manufacturing in those days.

One of our projects was to build a VERY large mock-up of a EF-111 Raven ECM plane. Litton had 2 60ft. towers about 2 miles apart . On one tower were ECM emitters. The other tower had a mock-up of an aircraft on top of it. We actually built 2 aircraft. An EF-111 and an EA-6B Growler. Unfortunately in 1990, the U.S. Defense industry kind of went belly up.

EF-111 and EA-6B below

PICT0462.JPG PICT0463.JPG

Last edited:

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Some things never change... half of the college is still under construction, so that's a familiar comfort to fall back upon.

But man has it changed. The M traffic circle at Campus and Regents is gone. Campus drive is destroyed while they build the Purple Line. New buildings EVERYWHERE. Nowhere to park. I don't miss it. Blows my mind how much we are spending on infrastructure when the future is obviously online schools...
    It is all about spending patronage money. Developers and contrators got onto the government teat during Spendening's admin...and all the construction on-campus accelerated.

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I remember snowball fights in front of the 'Vous closing down Route 1, drunken 1am runs for cheap burgers, . . .

The city hit a bleak bottom and has bounced back quite a bit to now just be more city. House prices within walking/cycling distance of Metro are insane. On the upside, the high prices and urbanization have driven out a lot of the people who caused problems.

I used to fly my C-140 in from Frederick in 76-77, tie down (no fee), run across the railroad tracks, and walk up the hill to classes. "Want to go up after this?" was a hell of a great way to get dates!!!

94th Aero Squadron closed probably 10-15 years ago and even the building is gone.

The airport still exists, has a little traffic, and probably less than two dozen airplanes. However, somebody I know based there says it's a true burden to (A) be permitted to operate there (extensive background security investigation), (B) have his airplane there and (C) coordination with secret ATC numbers to fly in and out. The airport largely remains because it's symbolic and the MD State helicopters use it as an emergency airport for traffic accidents and such.
    I wonder if the CIA still uses it? They used to have a (not so) secret location nearby.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

The Electric Head weeps
    The Village pump is my go to, they have a new owner that I am working to get to know.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I wonder if the CIA still uses it? They used to have a (not so) secret location nearby.
    They do not, the "toy factory" was vacated over 20 years ago. The building now belongs to UMD and I believe that have some of their computer science classes labs in it.

CIA and other 3 letter groups still have a presence in a not so well known building north of the Metzerott Rd/University Blvd intersection, back by the School of Veterinary Medicine.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    It is all about spending patronage money. Developers and contrators got onto the government teat during Spendening's admin...and all the construction on-campus accelerated.
    About 15 years ago, UMD started to make the change from a commuter oriented university to a live in oriented university. Over that time, they have removed over 8500 parking spaces and replaced them with classroom buildings. South campus has seen some new student housing, and UMD bought and took over the remaining Knox Boxes that weren't torn down for the off campus student housing high rises. The rest of the high rises along Route 1, are student centric, but I'm not sure how any student can afford the cost of that housing ($1K+/month) unless mommy and daddy are paying the full bill.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    University Blvd is very scary on one end (not sure which direction but going north?). You would think you are in Mexico.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom