• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    On April 9 (Saturday) the criminal justice student club from University of Maryland Shady Grove is planning to go to a shooting range. They were looking at some different indoor ranges, but asked me if I knew of anything. Since I normally go to Cresap and it would be a lot cheaper than other ranges I thought it might be an option. I saw that April 9 is the first Saturday this year that the range is open and that is when they were planning to go. I don't know how large the group would be yet, but I don't think it would be too big. I was just wondering what some of the Cresap members here think about this. Do you expect the range would be very crowded that day? I remember in the past, Saturdays were normally less busy.

Thanks for any advice!

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I think the biggest thing with crsap is that they don't rent guns. How many in that group have guns or experience? I would be hesitant to bring people who haven't shot before up there with guns they have no experience with. I'd probably go with an indoor range and stick with. 22s

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    The first Saturday we are open we may or may not be busy.
    Depends on the weather. nice day = hammered

We have been busy this spring.

All are welcome just remember some of the areas to watch.
    If we are crowded and a lot of people are just standing around because they don't own guns the Range Officer may ask people to step back or work shifts so we can see the line and people can maneuver.

We really would like to have two people per bench if possible. If we are crowded, you just don't have space for bystanders.

Now if a large crowd comes the issue lies in everyone one being able to shoot together.
    If they do that creates a mass of bodies to work around. If people are spread out then there is constant running back and forth.

Let the range officers know what is going on. Ask for their input.
    Remember the range is for shooting primarily. Socialize when you are done. It is safer that way.
    Pair up new people with experienced people.
    Let everyone know the rules and expectations to adhere to the rules before you go.
    We want everyone to have a good safe time.
    When in doubt... ASK.

Chris

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    it might help if you gave a ballpark# , are you thinking six people or 20? it sounds like a great. idea, i hope it works out and you get some new shooting recruits!

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    Thanks for the advice! I'm still waiting to hear back from the guy who was planning the event, so I'm not sure how many people it would be or if they even would want to go to Cresap. Hopefully I'll get more information soon.

Thanks!

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    Ok I heard back and there might only be 7-9 people coming. We are now planning to go to Cresap though.

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    I really like this idea, as academia tends to be a breeding ground for anti's who hear anti-gun rhetoric from professors who have never had any sort of firearm education in thier life but still feel qualified to speak on the subject.

I strongly believe that the best way to defeat gun-hating is to include the uninitiated and educate them.

Well done.

cmecha

Feb 10, 2009
    when would you be going as i would like to help out with this. i have a glock pistol and an ar15 i could bring out. just send me an email.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I would reccomend breaking them up into three groups of three.
    things to remember...
    Spread out to make it easier to manuever
    Do not leave fire arms unattended with actions closed and mags in
    Tell the RO's what is going on and make them a part of the process.

New pricing will go into effect. This Sunday.
    No longer a donation. The cost is now a FEE.

PM me if you have questions.

Chris

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    when would you be going as i would like to help out with this. i have a glock pistol and an ar15 i could bring out. just send me an email.

Thanks for the offer, but I think we'll be fine. We'll be using my guns and one of the other's so we should have enough for the amount of people coming.

I would reccomend breaking them up into three groups of three.
    things to remember...
    Spread out to make it easier to manuever
    Do not leave fire arms unattended with actions closed and mags in
    Tell the RO's what is going on and make them a part of the process.

New pricing will go into effect. This Sunday.
    No longer a donation. The cost is now a FEE.

PM me if you have questions.

Chris

Thanks for the advice! I'm looking forward to this and hopefully everyone will enjoy it!

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    We went there today and had a great time! There were 8 of us and the range wasn't busy so we had a good number of rifle benches. Everyone seemed to enjoy it and wanted to go again in the future. We were there for about 2 hours, but didn't shoot nearly as much ammo as I had expected. Thanks for the advice about this! We all had a safe and fun time!

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Glad everyone enjoyed themselves.
    The weather was iffy.... I think that kept the crowd down.

You guys are welcome any time. That is why we are there.

Chris

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    Yeah I was actually glad the weather wasn't the best for that reason!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom