• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar1131

Jan 31, 2013
    Looking for a handgun for $1,000.00 or less as a good collector gun or potential gun. I want to be able to shoot it with my kids and pass it on web/if they get into shooting. I believe that the best gun to pass down to the kids is the gun they grew up shooting but maybe I can instill good taste by having them shoot whatever gun I decide to purchase. I have looked at the sig 1911 (not sure the difference between them are but I can get almost any of them for sub $1000. Thanks

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Looking for a handgun for $1,000.00 or less as a good collector gun or potential gun. I want to be able to shoot it with my kids and pass it on web/if they get into shooting. I believe that the best gun to pass down to the kids is the gun they grew up shooting but maybe I can instill good taste by having them shoot whatever gun I decide to purchase. I have looked at the sig 1911 (not sure the difference between them are but I can get almost any of them for sub $1000. Thanks

Almost any gun fits that criteria. What matters is why it was important to you when you pass it down, not what brand it is.

ar1131

Jan 31, 2013
    Almost any gun fits that criteria. What matters is why it was important to you when you pass it down, not what brand it is.

I completely agree. I am hoping to buy something that will increase in value while still being able to shot every once in a while and I can pass it down. I have a glock, beretta, sig, and bersa all semi auto. lookig for something different.

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    I would suggest one of two revolvers, either a Colt Officer's Model Match or a Smith & Wesson Model 14. Both can be had in great condition (as shooters, not museum pieces) in your price range and will only increase in value over time. They were made in .38 Special primarily for competition shooting, a relatively mild cartridge that just about anyone can handle. They are both very accurate revolvers.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just about any decent gun will hold its value over the rate of inflation if used moderately. If you are looking for more specifically aprecation in the forseeable future look for thing already going up now , but still in your price range, and in decent , but not pristeene condition. Most semi-older S&Ws . At least having hammer mounted firing pins , if not pinned bbls. Most Colt DA revolvers. OM era guns of course , but even Mark III and Mark V's are on the upswing if only because of rarity and premature discontinuance. Semi-collectable Rugers are more subtle , and require knowledge of particular cal or feature to apreceate. In semi's pre- Series 80 1911s and Commanders . Browning HiPowers from '60s and '70s. Browning BDA's ( Sig P220s w/ Browning markings ).

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yep, buy something you won't be afraid to actually shoot. A pretty/valuable gun isn't necessarily something you'll spend much time shooting with the kids.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Colt Police Positive Target 22LR revolver. You will love it. The kids will love it. It is very friendly to small hands.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    IMO you want to stick with a common caliber. If you want to pass it to kids to show shooting, 9 or .38 would make sense if you want something that is good for self defense, and .22 if you want something purely for target shooting/plinking. A 1911 is one possibility. If this is a gun you plan to store for years at a time, IMO a wheel gun is a better choice over a semi. A Smith and Wesson 686+ should be considered as well as it is stupid durable and really 50 years from now will be in the same structural condition if you were to purchase one tomorrow. Plus you can shoot .38, .38+p, and .357 MAG. It's an easy gun to shoot, simple, and one that is great for home defense and target shooting. A light .38 in a heavy 4-6 inch revolver (the weight of the gun reduces recoil) is a lot less intimidating than a hotter round through a smaller frame in a lighter semi, which is going to have fiercer recoil. Colt also makes a few .380s modeled after the 1911 in a smaller package, which will probably only ever increase in value.

Lanceman_1

Jul 14, 2011
    I think a revolver is a good start to learn on for a kid or an adult. I personally like the old single action army types.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Good Smith revolver is a good idea. That is what many new shooters like - typically in 22 LR or 38 Special/357 shooting 38's. As an instructor and with nieces, nephews and my son that is what experience has proven. Police Positive have a long trigger reach. Could be discouraging to the kids. Just something to consider.

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011

How hold are your kids?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    My son was shooting regularly with me at age 5, IIRC. His first shots were sooner than that. He insists we keep that Cricket rifle and the OM Bearcat (the collectible gun, his 5 shot six shooter). Much to be said for the slower rate of fire, learning to safely handle the guns and great emphasis on marksmanship.

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    I suggest a high quality 22LR. You will be able to shoot it cheaper/more often and get the kids started a bit earlier with it.

I have a Ruger Mk III hunter for my son. It is all stainless with wood grips. It is a very nice looking pistol.
    My son is 11 and it is by far his favorite firearm to shoot. He knows it will be his and he knows someday he will pass it on to one of his children.

You will still have plenty of time to pick up a nice 45.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom