• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Read some posts on Gun Forums. CNBC isn't seeking out to demonize anything, they are simply portraying it for what it is.

Spend time at a Gunshop or Gunrange and youll see EXACTLY what they are showing on this program.

People cringe about seeing Gunowners portrayed negatively but the hard truth is MANY people in the Gun Culture PROMOTE the "Full Retard" we are seeing on this show. Many Gunowners turn a blind eye to it, just like so many Muslims turn a blind eye to Extremist Muslims.

The anti LEO, Conspiracy, Tinfoil rhetoric is at the core of much of the "negative light" Gun Owners receive.

The Truth hurts sometimes and the show didn't demonize anything, it just showed the culture for what it is.

No they showed what was there to be found, and they did not make it up, but they implied that it was more mainstream than it is. I do not go on gun forums, other than this one, in large part because of the nonsense that you will find there. But I do not think I am alone in this. Therefore how can you say that those who are not on the boards do not count?

They had an objective with the show and they succeed. Good for them. But to argue that internet forums are representative of gun culture makes as much sense as claiming that most american think the president is not a US citizen because they no longer waste time arguing over it.

Meanwhile the press will give a pass to many on the left who called for real violence.... those stories don't sell

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    It's a general statement that we are all ambassadors of the gun community and we need to understand the media is out to get us, and act accordingly.

It's true, and I was surprised at the number of people that didn't dress appropriately on gun days in Annapolis. I guess it's better than people not showing, but it would be nice to see people put forth a little more effort.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    They didn't really mention the popularity of the AR as a modular hunting rifle that much. It would have been nice to have a blurb on hog hunters taking out pest hogs all throughout the south, or to talk more about home defense with an AR without making people interested in defensive rifle use out to be tinfoil conspiracy folks.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    They didn't really mention the popularity of the AR as a modular hunting rifle that much. It would have been nice to have a blurb on hog hunters taking out pest hogs all throughout the south, or to talk more about home defense with an AR without making people interested in defensive rifle use out to be tinfoil conspiracy folks.

That would make too much sense. They can't have that going on. :D

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    No they showed what was there to be found, and they did not make it up, but they implied that it was more mainstream than it is

You raise a good point and observation. I believe that what clandestine was saying wasn't chiefly confined to the gun forums, but more so as a general interaction with folks on the range, in the gun shops, gun shows, etc. I could tell you a story, for example, when I was taking my Utah Course three years ago... a few yahoos in front of me joking about shooting "ragheads" after becoming a holder. They are not prevalent; nor are they an epitome of our culture, but they exist, and they talk loud, and they make for good stories.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You raise a good point and observation. I believe that what clandestine was saying wasn't chiefly confined to the gun forums, but more so as a general interaction with folks on the range, in the gun shops, gun shows, etc. I could tell you a story, for example, when I was taking my Utah Course three years ago... a few yahoos in front of me joking about shooting "ragheads" after becoming a holder. They are not prevalent; nor are they an epitome of our culture, but they exist, and they talk loud, and they make for good stories.

Correct. I have been involved in the Gun Industry for a decade and the #'s of "yahoo" to "normal" is concerning. Being involved in on a Professional Level has exposed me to a great amount of people.

If I had to put a # on it, I would guestimate that 3/10 Gun Owners I have come in contact with are what makes us look bad.

Now, some may claim my exposure is limited to a small geographic scope, but I also travel a great deal and its not limited to certain parts of the Country.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I personally think a lot that has to do with the fact that not many people are being taught from childhood how to be responsible and safe with a firearm anymore.

But there are jack
    democrat_symbol_donkey_normal.jpg
    es in every group. What're ya gonna do? :shrug:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Correct. I have been involved in the Gun Industry for a decade and the #'s of "yahoo" to "normal" is concerning. Being involved in on a Professional Level has exposed me to a great amount of people.

If I had to put a # on it, I would guestimate that 3/10 Gun Owners I have come in contact with are what makes us look bad.

Now, some may claim my exposure is limited to a small geographic scope, but I also travel a great deal and its not limited to certain parts of the Country.

30% is a large number. The more nutty we look the more gun bans appeal to people who don't care much about guns (which is most people). For the next CNBC special they will have footage of pro-2A people protesting at a Jewish art exhibit.

MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover
    No they showed what was there to be found, and they did not make it up, but they implied that it was more mainstream than it is. I do not go on gun forums, other than this one, in large part because of the nonsense that you will find there. But I do not think I am alone in this. Therefore how can you say that those who are not on the boards do not count?

They had an objective with the show and they succeed. Good for them. But to argue that internet forums are representative of gun culture makes as much sense as claiming that most american think the president is not a US citizen because they no longer waste time arguing over it.

Meanwhile the press will give a pass to many on the left who called for real violence.... those stories don't sell

They showed what a liberal would notice most on seeing a gun forum. Trust me. I know a lot of my fellow gun owners aren't crazy Alex Jones fans or camo'd out tea party types wearing Molon Labe shirts, hell, none of the ones I know personally are. But you come to the forums, even here, and you'll see enough of those to stick in your mind if you're a liberal.

And while you guys have this stereotype that all liberals are the type to vote for getting stuff or all that other crazy "libtard" stuff you believe, liberals have the view that all gun owners are those crazy types mentioned above and that there aren't other types of gun owners. It wrecks their world when I tell them I'm a liberal gun owner.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Don't really think nutnfancy would be up for that.

They should have gotten Mrcolionnoir on though.

Colion would have made too much logical sense for them. I watched it and was disappointed, but I guess I shouldnt have been surprised.

I agree with the sentiments already posted that we need to ensure we keep our heads and show that there are norman, non-fanitical gun owners.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Read some posts on Gun Forums. CNBC isn't seeking out to demonize anything, they are simply portraying it for what it is.

Spend time at a Gunshop or Gunrange and youll see EXACTLY what they are showing on this program.

People cringe about seeing Gunowners portrayed negatively but the hard truth is MANY people in the Gun Culture PROMOTE the "Full Retard" we are seeing on this show. Many Gunowners turn a blind eye to it, just like so many Muslims turn a blind eye to Extremist Muslims.

The anti LEO, Conspiracy, Tinfoil rhetoric is at the core of much of the "negative light" Gun Owners receive.

The Truth hurts sometimes and the show didn't demonize anything, it just showed the culture for what it is.

Agreed. 100%. We need to be reaching out to our own folks as much as we do the gun control folks.

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    I found the show to be formulaic. Find people to represent both viewpoints. Go for the more extremist viewpoint on the side you want to look bad. Bake at 400 F for 60 minutes and serve with a side of vegetables. And call it fair and balanced. And go back to living in a vacuum.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    One thing I'd like to point out:

Extremists on our side build up arsenals and hide in bunkers. They make us look bad.

Extremists on their build up arsenals and shoot lots of people. They make us look bad too.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    30% is a large number. The more nutty we look the more gun bans appeal to people who don't care much about guns (which is most people). For the next CNBC special they will have footage of pro-2A people protesting at a Jewish art exhibit.

It is concerning. I'm not sure if its worse now days or better from perhaps 30 years ago. I can only explain what I have experienced in my time.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    It is concerning. I'm not sure if its worse now days or better from perhaps 30 years ago. I can only explain what I have experienced in my time.

You have to realize the people you run into is but a slice of the population that owns guns. I hadn't been in a gunstore for ~20yrs. I had never attended a gunshow (went to the frederick one this year as a first.) My brother and dad are similar. You can't go to a range/store/gunshow/anywhere to get a true random sampling. It will only be a sampling of the kinds of people who go to those places. MANY people dont go to those places. You never notice the silent majority;)

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    One thing I'd like to point out:

Extremists on our side build up arsenals and hide in bunkers. They make us look bad.

Extremists on their build up arsenals and shoot lots of people. They make us look bad too.

There are several aspects that can and do make us look bad. Before this thread takes on a self deprecating tone, I'd like to point out the diversity and professionalism of our community. Perhaps a great many of the rational are either too nonchalant, or armchair activists, and don't put themselves into the public eye as much as the brazen tinfoil types.

The cream should rise to the top, but from years of subtlety and increased stigma, it has caused the cream to sequester into the nooks and crannies. That only leaves the media to stir the pot and drum up the dregs of our culture who seek attention and pine for an audience.

MicheleM

Feb 13, 2013
    Cecil County
    So sad. Admittedly, I did not watch the program so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Even if we were all tinfoil, camo-wearing conspiracy theorists, those were not the people doing these mass-murders.

Did they even touch on the subject of why, with the exception of possibly McVeigh, there seems to be a surge in these killings by young males? I know their objective was to explain the AR-15 but they were sure to find victims to prove a point. I am :banghead: because no media entity has the balls to even take a look at this phenomenon!!!!!!!!!!! Blame the gun, Ban the gun...result? The evil, sick twisted minds will find something else to use. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Until media stops working for and with an agenda, there will not be true journalism.

Last edited:

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Geez, did an economist run over your puppy or something? Usually it's lawyers that get all the grief. [Disclaimer: I am an economist.]

I like CNBC, or at least I did back when I had a TV. Their daytime reporting is really very good, and I have a longstanding girl crush on Maria Bartiromo. [And there is no finer example anywhere of lowbrow trainwreck entertainment than Jim Cramer on a roll.] Any chance this show will be available for streaming, or on Hulu or something like that? I'd like to see it.

I much prefer Rick Santelli to Jim Cramer. Just saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom