• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    My cousin had a neighbor growing up who was credited with shooting down a Japanese Zero, he was an infantryman using a rifle, not a machine gun. I assume it was a Garand?....

At least that was the story..., I was in single digits then and not in a position to verify the facts with WWII vet in question.

Last edited:

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    20 years ago, an old guy at the club cussed out my carbine. It's not often you have people you don't really know greet you with a stream of profanity directed at your rifle.

He was on some hell hole in the Pacific and shot a Japanese soldier (my words not his) 7 times and the guy kept coming. He yelled to his buddies to "Throw me a Garand, throw me a Garand" They did. He stopped the enemy soldier who had 2 grenades with his name on them.

Mine is still a blast to shoot. It's a shame they didn't realize at the time a .357 ACP would have been the perfect match.

They lack the punch of a Garand or M16 - but the old LTC swore by them.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    My cousin had a neighbor growing up who was credited with shooting down a Japanese Zero, he was an infantryman using a rifle, not a machine gun. I assume it was a Garand?....

At least that was the story..., I was in single digits then and not in a position to verify the facts with WWII vet in question.

It would be awesome if the story were true AND the rifle in question was an M1 carbine.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    M1 carbines can be shot at many indoor ranges. Most consider the 30 carbine a pistol caliber cause it's ballistics is close to 357magnum.

For punching paper it's a light low recoil rifle.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    M1 carbines can be shot at many indoor ranges. Most consider the 30 carbine a pistol caliber cause it's ballistics is close to 357magnum.

For punching paper it's a light low recoil rifle.

Put one in a folding stock, either a re-pop M1A1, or a Choate (which the Israelis used), and it could make a pretty good PDW.

More powerful than other pistol caliber carbines. They're not allowed at the York Isaac Walton Fun Shoots because they're too powerful: I asked. That's ironic, considering they're such flimsy little pop-guns.

UpperMarlboroMan

Mar 11, 2013
    Just for reference, here are the production numbers for each manufacturer offered and the potential percent representation of that pool. These are the seven manufacturers confirmed by the CMP to be available in this release. Rather crude, but might help folks visualize the probability of getting a certain manufacturer. Obviously not perfect but a rough "WAG." I don't mind getting an Inland.

Maker Production Number Total Percent of Offering
    IBM 346,500 6.33
    Inland 2,632,097 48.06
    Winchester 828,059 15.12
    Quality Hardware 359,666 6.57
    Saginaw 517,212 9.44
    Standard Product 247,100 4.51
    Underwood 545,616 9.96

Last edited:

UpperMarlboroMan

Mar 11, 2013
    you missed a couple -
    National Postal Meter and Rockola.
    Saginaw had two plants, SG (Saginaw) and S'G' (Grand Rapids).
    Rockola and S'G' are relatively low production.
    we won't count Irwin Pederson since none were officially accepted, but there were some completed...

quick and dirty:
    http://fulton-armory.com/faqs/M1C-FAQs/M1Carbine.htm

Yes, there are other makers but I only listed the seven manufacturers that are part of the CMP release.

Jul 1, 2012
    sometimes my know-it-all-ness gets ahead of my reading comprehension :)

it'll be interesting to see just how many of you guys "win the lottery" and what comes out of it!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Receiving your first "Don't Bug Us" email is like losing your CMP virginity. You never forget the first time.

We have received and verified your recent order. There is nothing that we will be able to tell you about the order until we have input al orders received ahead of yours into the system. Your order will now advance to our sales area and from there to our shipping area. Please note, that unless otherwise listed, our order to ship time is 30 days. Your will receive other email as the order progresses.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Has anyone gotten a DBU yet?

You are such a tease.....

Let's see how it goes...for the newbies

Next week the orders come in.

By Wednesday they are posted sold out.

Dbu's start going out end of the week. A dbu does not mean you will get a carbine.

If you get a dbu you must check the estore twice a day to see if your order has posted

One more week until orders start to hit the estore.

Dbus continue to go out. They still do not mean you are getting a carbine.

People are getting charged. Carbines are shipping.

Dbu's still going out. More people getting charged and carbines shipping

People are getting offers to switch from a service grade to rack grade.

You are checking the estore 3 times daily

No more dbu's

You are checking the e store 4 times a day

CMP announces all carbines shipped. Net time? 2 months....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom