• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pez34a

Feb 17, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Went through my three cans of HXP ammo tonight. Most was 76, 77, 78, and 82. Some 66 and a wee bit of 70, 73, and 74. But interesting was about 50 rounds of TW 52 between two of the cans, not HXP at all. Anyone else seeing that?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Funny, I just got my order from April 26 last week.

Fedex nearly sent it back, I was hot. Had to have it held because I was not home, and the pickup location immediately upon seeing it was ammo marked it return to sender. They did not even call me.

When I went to pickup, the lady was really smug about it. I called to complain with Fedex customer service, and Halethorpe was able to stop it before it was shipped back.

Stu, thanks for the info on loading by headstamp. Did not know that.
    Glad to hear you were able to catch it. I remember once I tried tp stop a package I had been waiting on for six months after Obama 1 and I was going to be out of town for 2 weeks saw the shipping notice and tried to get it held and was told they had to attempt delivery then I needed to come in and request it be held. Meanwhile I'm 17 hrs away. I was hot to say the least had to bug a good friend fo run by he house grab the hang tag and finially got someone on the phone that held it they were getting ready to return something I had waited half a year for.

In regards to hxp its good ammo esp for surplus great brass for reloading but from year to year you may notice a shift in POI and if you are trying to sight in or are shooting for groups this will not help your cause. Some years are closer than others but if you load 4-5 years into an enbloc and you are trying to sight it in you are going to be looking at your M1 like what is wromg with this thing.

Its not target ammo but for surplus that is 2-3 moa quality reloadable ammo it is good then you factor in price and it can't be beat.

Another thing to be said if you end up with some odds and ends toss them into one or two enblocs and set them aside. Everytime you remove your rifle from the stock you will notice it takes a few shots to settle down. Dont adjust the sights just yet. Put an inbloc through it put it out of your mind like a Tony Romo playoff game and fire your next enbloc this one should be much much better. While I have gotten much more comfortable with M1s I am not positive why this happened my guess would be it is a wood stock and if needs a few shots to get its self back in the natural place it comes to rest after recoil. And while we are on the subject the less you remove the stock the better. Some ofthe trigger group and stock fits are tighter than sh*t some of you know what I mean that is a good thing. Everytime you open the trigger group amd take the stock off its going to get a little looser. This isn't telling you not to clean your rifle but there are things ypu can do without removing the stock. Some people who shoot these heavily for competition only break them down once a year if that because the stock fit is sooooo imperative to accuracy.

Sorry to get long winded but I thought I would throw out some public service announcements while I was on a role ;)

Any questions feel free to PM me.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Be sure to lubricate your M1 properly.

Unlike poodle shooters, Garands like Grease.

http://www.garandgear.com/how-to-grease-your-m1-garand

GI issue was Lubriplate, but you can use any good high-temperature grease. I have used Tetra Gun Grease, and I've used ordinary automotive wheel bearing grease.

"If it slides, grease it. If it rotates, oil it."

Do not get any grease or oil on the hammer hooks!
    It can cause double firing.

Just a little bit of grease goes a long way. Here are the main Grease Points for the M1

M1GreasePoints1.jpg

Also a bit on the bottom of the bolt where it rides over the hammer, on the wide area at the base of the op rod where it rubs the barrel, and any other spot where you see parts are rubbing. Also slather some on the op rod spring.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I have the exact same tub. It will last well beyond my years!

But I do have the oil as well for those spots that rotate ;) . As long as you use the appropriate one for the task Mobile 1 is a great choice.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    That's "ok", but not the best (imho). Get some synthetic brake caliper grease from the local auto parts store. It's higher temp than that and higher pressure rated

What would make higher pressure & temp rating better in a gun?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I got my order of 419ASVGE .22LR Target Golden Eagle CENTURION today.
    Let us know how it shoots. Wonder if this is a good match for the kimbers they sell? ight now, I've just been shooting whatever cheap 22 I can get. I bought a box of Eley Rifle to try but haven't brought it out to the range yet.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Let us know how it shoots. Wonder if this is a good match for the kimbers they sell? ight now, I've just been shooting whatever cheap 22 I can get. I bought a box of Eley Rifle to try but haven't brought it out to the range yet.

Good quality 22 as is the yellow box. Not what I'd call cheap but very accurate 22 ammo for the price.

My 82 seems to like almost everything I feed it though

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom