• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    BlackBart said:
    Garands are MUST HAVE moreso than anything else IMHO. :thumbsup: Even a crappy Garand is better than NO Garand.

Hit the nail on the head, nothing quite like a Garand, to hold and look at, or to shoot.

So I traded away the stock on my Garand for a new CMP walnut stock. I took my rifle and new stock set to Tony Giacobbe, The Garand Guy, who lives about 35 minutes from me here in the lost state of New Jersey. For $300, he furnished and installed a new Criterion .308 barrel, swapped out my gas cylinder for one of his refurbed hard chrome lined ones, and swapped all of my non-correct parts for his parts that correctly match my Jan 1945 SA receiver. He also swapped out all the new stock hardware with hardware that matches the darker black finish that my receiver still retains. He repaired my bullet guide which did not allow the en bloc clips to latch in place easily, fitted my new stock which only required a little grinding on the rear hand guard since the contour of the Criterion barrel was slightly different from the original barrel, and repaired my loose rear sight aperture. All that I have left to do is sand and finish the new stock and I'll be good to go!
    A big +1 for the Garand Guy. My FG is looking more like somewhere in between a collector grade and a CMP Special. Yaaa hoooo!:thumbsup:
    :party29:
    ^That seems like a helluva good deal for all that was done.:thumbsup:

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    ok, here are better pics...
    ce1109ea.jpg
    [/IMG]
    7b9fee94.jpg
    [/IMG]
    a9bfe6fd.jpg
    [/IMG]
    a22557a8.jpg
    [/IMG]

Last edited:

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Very nice, but I see your milled triggerguard disappeared. What's your serial # range?

I'd guess 3.45 to 3.53 based on his post....:D

Milled triggerguard is fine for a collector, but the stamped work much better for a shooter. You have much more control over your lockup.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Very nice, but I see your milled triggerguard disappeared. What's your serial # range?

I noticed that right off, too. Look at the first post:

It is 3,378,xxx which is of WW2 vintage, manufactured December '44 or January '45.

So the stamped guard is Correct, and probably better for a "shooter" anyway. If the lockup isn't tight with the milled guard, there's less you can do about it.

Tony Giaccobe will sell that milled guard, don't worry!

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    The milled aren't that valuable, and mine was a WRA before I swapped and now is a SA. My Garand is a late WW2 Garand (3,378,3xx), and the milled receivers came out early.
    + I respect drmsparks opinion regarding best use for a shooter. I did notice that he swapped away my milled guard but for what he charged me (nothing for swapping parts), I am very happy.
    Tony had the drawing documentation for a given serial number and carefully pulled parts from his large inventory of parts bins and chose all the right parts for me. He knows his stuff and knows his way around a Garand up and down, plus he is a very friendly guy.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I noticed that right off, too. Look at the first post:

So the stamped guard is Correct, and probably better for a "shooter" anyway. If the lockup isn't tight with the milled guard, there's less you can do about it.

Tony Giaccobe will sell that milled guard, don't worry!

damn I would have traded for the milled guard :-( I need one to complete a resto.

why are stamped better for a shooter?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    why are stamped better for a shooter?

Lockup is all.

If your milled guard doesn't lockup tightly, there's not a lot you can do and still be legal for competition.

A stamped guard you can bend a little bit to tighten it.

The stamped guard is correct for this late-war rifle anyway. The milled guard looks cool, though, as do lock bar sights.

Jmurman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2007
    Perry Hall
    I bought a woodless Dane from CMP to use as a project gun, good to know Tony does good work.

So I traded away the stock on my Garand for a new CMP walnut stock. I took my rifle and new stock set to Tony Giacobbe, The Garand Guy, who lives about 35 minutes from me here in the lost state of New Jersey. For $300, he furnished and installed a new Criterion .308 barrel, swapped out my gas cylinder for one of his refurbed hard chrome lined ones, and swapped all of my non-correct parts for his parts that correctly match my Jan 1945 SA receiver. He also swapped out all the new stock hardware with hardware that matches the darker black finish that my receiver still retains. He repaired my bullet guide which did not allow the en bloc clips to latch in place easily, fitted my new stock which only required a little grinding on the rear hand guard since the contour of the Criterion barrel was slightly different from the original barrel, and repaired my loose rear sight aperture. All that I have left to do is sand and finish the new stock and I'll be good to go!
    A big +1 for the Garand Guy. My FG is looking more like somewhere in between a collector grade and a CMP Special. Yaaa hoooo!:thumbsup:
    :party29:

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Nice Garand, My two just showed the other day from the CMP. both mine are SG's. Both are marked ME-1+ and TE-2+ . I opted for one HRA and One SA.

Did you sell off that old stock That you swapped out for the new one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom