• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Well how else do you empty a semi automatic firearm?
    If you carry daily, there’s no reason to unload and reload if you haven’t fired your handgun during the day.

Treat loaded handguns as loaded, secure them appropriately and don’t “clear” one unless to clean or inspect it.

—-
    If you only carry periodically, it makes more sense to clear and make it safe outside (back door, back yard, depending on your home).

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Is it this post asking about if a gun unload, reload can make the round go off somehow? Defunct round or something...
    Well that can happen. I watched dad chamber a round in his AK one day as part of a test and the bolt slammed shut on a round with a proud primer. Went off.

But no my purpose was now that I'll be loading and unloading with more frequency it just increases the chances of a mishap

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The O.P. is not being unreasonable wanting to have a safe backdrop when loading or unloading his firearm.

Firearms can go off from operating the slide/bolt/pump/lever to clear them or when loading a round into the chamber.

Parts can fail or break allowing a firearm to fire without touching the trigger.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I don't understand the constant loading and unloading, there's very little reason for it IMHO other than to clean & lube the weapon. Leave it in the holster and/or secure it in a safe.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I don't understand the constant loading and unloading, there's very little reason for it IMHO other than to clean & lube the weapon. Leave it in the holster and/or secure it in a safe.
    If this is standard practice for most folks than so be it. I agree handling less is safer. More manipulations means increased chance of a ND.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Rather than a bucket of sand, get yourself a large potted ficus.

avasflowers-green-potted-ficus-tree.webp

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The only time armorers or smiths use bullet traps is to check function. To make sure the gun actually fires as designed. What am I missing?
    Clearing barells are common in LE and Mil settings where large numbers of weapons are issued & turned in multiple times per day , usually in squadroom or office with lots of people around .

Administrative loading and unloading is a common activity involving AD's . Low odds any one time , but long enough , with enough people the numbers can occasionally catch up .

One or two people in a home is probably overkill . Just be sure to have pointed in reasonably safe direction .

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Clearing barells are common in LE and Mil settings where large numbers of weapons are issued & turned in multiple times per day , usually in squadroom or office with lots of people around .

Administrative loading and unloading is a common activity involving AD's . Low odds any one time , but long enough , with enough people the numbers can occasionally catch up .

One or two people in a home is probably overkill . Just be sure to have pointed in reasonably safe direction .
    There is only one correct way
    desk-pop.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom