• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bensmiata

The Newbie
    Dec 23, 2009
    MD
    I am a rifle newbie. There, I said it. I shoot handguns and it's what I do best. However I did buy and receive today my new M&P15R (5.45x39). Obviously bought it to shoot cheaply and thats what I plan to do. Now I know the ammo is corrosive so what are the best ways to go about cleaning it and what exactly do I need to clean? Keep in mind this is my first AR (Sig 522 was my first rifle) so I'm still fairly clueless beyond basic operation and field stripping.

Thanks!

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Clean with hot water, ammonia(Windex), Ballistol, people will be along to add more and then do your regular cleaning regimen.

Places to definitely clean using the above:
    Gas tube
    Bolt face/bolt
    Barrel
    Flash hider
    gas block
    Chamber

Bensmiata

The Newbie
    Dec 23, 2009
    MD
    Clean with hot water, ammonia(Windex), Ballistol, people will be along to add more and then do your regular cleaning regimen.

Places to definitely clean using the above:
    Gas tube
    Bolt face/bolt
    Barrel
    Flash hider
    gas block
    Chamber

How do I clean the gas tube and gas block?

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Ballistol/Water mix at 10/90%. Apply liberally (I hold a finger over the muzzle and practically fill the barrel and gas tube) clean with soaked patches, rinse, then clean with pure balistol, and finish up with a patch of CLP (probably overkill). Ammonia is not necessary. The mineral salts from the primers disolve with simple water (The Ballistol helps with corrosion prevention, especially if you're doing a quick cleaning at the range, but really isn't needed), and the ammonia can damage a chrome lined bore. A quick search will bring up MANY threads on this subject.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You can get full-length gas-tube cleaners from Cheaperthandirt.com, personally I only use them after about 12-1500 rounds spent on d.g.i.s uppers, but if your shooting bulk russian you may want to do it a little sooner.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008

I assume he means because the gases in the piston system are largely constrained to the gas tube and not the receiver. I have gone back and forth but dont see a real advantage, doesnt take that much more time to clean an AR upper (isnt that much to the receiver and trigger group) compared to an AK.

I know I am going to stock up on 5.45 before I event consider one, worst comes to worst my Romak II will eat it.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I assume he means because the gases in the piston system are largely constrained to the gas tube and not the receiver. I have gone back and forth but dont see a real advantage, doesnt take that much more time to clean an AR upper (isnt that much to the receiver and trigger group) compared to an AK.

I know I am going to stock up on 5.45 before I event consider one, worst comes to worst my Romak II will eat it.

Exactly. Not to mention the gas tube almost never needs cleaning. If using corrosive ammo a quick spray through the tube is sufficient. Also who exactly is shooting corrosive ammo with a piston Ar anyway?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'll run some cheap russian Silver-Bear if funds don't permit U.S. ammo, piston components in mine are a coated stainless, so it doesn't bother me any. I have both, d.g.i.s upper and a piston upper in 5.56. Just like the idea of not having to worry about possible gas-tube rupture/failure in general.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    I'll run some cheap russian Silver-Bear if funds don't permit U.S. ammo, piston components in mine are a coated stainless, so it doesn't bother me any. I have both, d.g.i.s upper and a piston upper in 5.56. Just like the idea of not having to worry about possible gas-tube rupture/failure in general.

silver bear isint corrosive...just sayin...

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville

Gas tube rupture is basically a non existent issue. It's fine if you like piston guns, it's your money.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I know, I heard Silver-Bear was ok, but the lacquer-coated stuff in AR's would gum up the bolt... don't know personally, I normally run russian ammo in russian guns, and american ammo in american guns....

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Almost non-existent is true, but it was a possibility I don't want to ever encounter, non-firing weapons are just depressing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom