• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    If only I could find my old threads on this matter. I bought a 28 gauge Beretta A400 Action for my son several years ago. He has outgrown it now and shoots a youth 20 gauge Beretta A391. He is about to step up to a 12 gauge and then I will get him a Beretta A400 Xcel in leftie.

I was playing around with putting an adjustment device on the stock of the 28 gauge. Might still end up doing it since I have an 11 and 6 year old coming into shooting and hunting. This is the debacle I usually deal with. I do the research for something, something else comes up, and when I get back to what I was working on, I have forgotten everything and need to start from ground zero again.

It is probably more than you want to spend on a gun for your wife to try shooting trap, but don't bite my head off. I also have not read through the three pages of replies.

This is what I was looking at, the GracoLP. Able to adjust the LOP by 1" and it reduces recoil.

MdShooters138.jpg

Rocinante

Jul 19, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Do clay shooters have more money than brains?

Yes.
    Limbsaver buttpad and a Caldwell Super Magnum Plus shoulder pad. <$100's worth of equipment.
    Find what her optimal LOP is while wearing the Caldwell pad, chop the stock, figure out what model Limbsaver comes closest to fitting the chopped stock, then install.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    OP, if you want to try a Remington Versamax Competition its supposedly one of the lightest recoiling shotguns. Some Beretta is supposedly tops there IIRC. Can borrow mine to try if you like. They come w/ adjustable cast(offset??) wedges to fit (that I've never tried.) Not sure if all shotguns are as easy to adjust. FWIW, It eats everything I've ever put in it. Since it is based on the M4 Argo system (licensed) I'm actually curious how soft the Turknelli M4 clones are. I have one of those too that will cycle target loads but I've not shot them back to back. If its soft enough, I would think that is the best bang/buck you could get (<$500). Don't know if I've seen adjustable stocks for them though. Send me a PM if you want to try either.

I too think a limbsaver buttpad and shooting vest would work wonders for bruising.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Bruising, either on the cheek and/or shoulder, if often a sign of an ill-fitting gun.
    Bruising, anywhere on my wife's body, is often a sign that she just bruises VERY VERY easily. Half the time she doesn't even know what caused the bruise, and she has always been that way.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that her shoulder bruised.

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Something we're looking at pretty hard at the moment is a Browning BT-99 Micro with adjustable LOP.

This gun adjusts from 13 and 1/4 to 14 and 3/8, so if we did buy it, and she decided she didn't particularly enjoy shooting trap, it's a gun I could use too - my LOP is pretty close to 14.25" so the level adjustability is a plus. It's not even terribly expensive as far as trap guns go.

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    Good gun for trap...and nothing else being single shot. Just make sure you don't ever want to shoot skeet, sporting, FITASC, 5 stand etc.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Good gun for trap...and nothing else being single shot. Just make sure you don't ever want to shoot skeet, sporting, FITASC, 5 stand etc.
    Right now it's all about trap - IF, and that's a big if, she ever decides she wants to do something else, that's another bridge to cross at a later date.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    This is why I like shooting trap at Tuscarora. $10k guns sitting in the rack next to beat-up semi-rusted 870s with rattle-can camo paint jobs and nobody gives a damn. People will subtly look if there's something truly interesting or unique on the rack and may ask a question or two, but nobody tries to impose their own particular brand of philosophy on anyone else unless asked to do so.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Something we're looking at pretty hard at the moment is a Browning BT-99 Micro with adjustable LOP.

This gun adjusts from 13 and 1/4 to 14 and 3/8, so if we did buy it, and she decided she didn't particularly enjoy shooting trap, it's a gun I could use too - my LOP is pretty close to 14.25" so the level adjustability is a plus. It's not even terribly expensive as far as trap guns go.
    It has a Graco stock. Guessing that is a Graco LOP adjusting unit too. Have to wonder if you could just swap in a GraCoil to reduce felt recoil on it. If so, gag, this Browning might be the way to go if you are willing to spend $1,600 on it. If you continue with trap, this will be a better trap gun for you than the Cynergy, IF it fits you. When I first started shooting trap, my buddy was using a BT-99 until he decided to get a Perazzi. He was braking 25 straight easy with the BT-99.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It has a Graco stock. Guessing that is a Graco LOP adjusting unit too. Have to wonder if you could just swap in a GraCoil to reduce felt recoil on it. If so, gag, this Browning might be the way to go if you are willing to spend $1,600 on it. If you continue with trap, this will be a better trap gun for you than the Cynergy, IF it fits you. When I first started shooting trap, my buddy was using a BT-99 until he decided to get a Perazzi. He was braking 25 straight easy with the BT-99.
    In hindsight, I should have gotten a BT-99, but I don't hate the Cynergy. (I kind of did last night - I did NOT have a good day at the trap field yesterday!) I don't know if it was because it was cold, if it was nighttime, or what the deal was, but I didn't shoot for beans yesterday.

I kinda like the shotgun thing. In a world where everything has gone black or camo composite tacti-cool, it's nice to still see fine guns with blued steel, wood stocks, and engraving on the receivers.

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    I wouldn't buy a dedicated trap gun. It is a nice gun but don't pigeon hole yourself or her. Go to PG they have most all of the clay disciplines. Try wobble trap. If you want to be disappointed try International Trap. I am not a big guy and finding a shotgun that was right for me was night and day.
    Have you looked into PGs Learn to Shoot class? or lessons?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    In hindsight, I should have gotten a BT-99, but I don't hate the Cynergy. (I kind of did last night - I did NOT have a good day at the trap field yesterday!) I don't know if it was because it was cold, if it was nighttime, or what the deal was, but I didn't shoot for beans yesterday.

I kinda like the shotgun thing. In a world where everything has gone black or camo composite tacti-cool, it's nice to still see fine guns with blued steel, wood stocks, and engraving on the receivers.
    It is like anything, there are days that are just bad. The worst is when I miss a target and I have no idea why. Usually, I know if I was behind, under, or too far in front (if there is such a thing). It is when I take the gun off my shoulder and I am scratching my head that it is a bad, bad day. Sometimes, I just tell myself, "There was a hole in the pattern. Yep, that is what it was. lol"

Everything has its place. There are some nice ARs out there, but they are a tad bit expensive. Not "expensive" by premium double barrel shotgun standards, but expensive by AR standards. I still prefer clay shooting over pistol and rifle, but shooting pistol and/or rifle is better than no shooting at all.

There are some pretty nice double barrel rifles out there too. Just not something you would be using at 3 gun. lol Then again, not going to use a Cynergy at 3 gun either.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    ^^ That's where I was on Wednesday! I had a bunch of straightaway shots that I just "knew" I was on. Apparently I wasn't. I'd shoot, that clay would just keep on flying, I'd watch it fall and break on the ground, and I'd stand there puzzling with my gun still up, trying to figure out how in the heck I'd missed.

I had a solid days shooting on Saturday and Sunday with scores mostly in the high teens, (17-19) but I broke into the 20s twice with a 20 and 21. My last round on Wednesday was an 11. I think that part of it was that I just couldn't get out of my head, and once I started to over-think it, there was no recovering.

I've love to go out again this weekend, but I have a busy weekend this weekend, so I'll probably just hold off for the next week or so - I've got a camping trip next weekend, so I won't be able to go at all for a bit unless I go this coming Wednesday night.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Those are the times I'd like tracer pellets in the mix :) There's a couple of stages at Bull Run's Sporting Clays course that have high flying clays. I think I've hit a clay on those ONCE in the dozens of times I've been there. No idea where the pellets were going in relation to the clay.

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    I had a bunch of straightaway shots that I just "knew" I was on. Apparently I wasn't.
    I use to have that problem. Then I got some one on one instruction and the coach said I had a eye dominance issue, I was probably 66% right eyed and 33% left eyed. He said few people are actually 100% one-eyed dominant. He told me to just squint my left eye on the going away birds and, voila, I hit 'em all now. You'll see some dedicated trap shooters have something covering their less dominant eye because of this. I don't shoot trap so I don't worry about it. But if there is a going away bird on the sporting course I know to squint.

A great example of why having some lessons is important, unless you don't mind missing.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    there are / were shells with tracer powder in them (orange). i had a box years ago. they sell for about 2-2.5x the cost of good shells. iirc, regular shells were about $4-5 and the tracer ones were ?!2 or 13?$ or so. this was pre rona by several years. i still have a couple leftover from the box somewhere.

Those are the times I'd like tracer pellets in the mix :) There's a couple of stages at Bull Run's Sporting Clays course that have high flying clays. I think I've hit a clay on those ONCE in the dozens of times I've been there. No idea where the pellets were going in relation to the clay.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    May I suggest a ppad or a falcon strike for the 870. Both will add about 1/2" to 3/4" to lop so remember that. that's the cheapest way to reduce recoil in that gun. could also add weight to the stock or the plug cap. Dedicated trap/skeet/sporting guns tend to be heavier due to less recoil and smoother swing. The 870 youth or not is notorious for recoil though, and being very light. The A400 is a nice gun and almost absent of recoil with their kickoff system, although some don't like the gun to move when they shoot it though. the a300 can be had with kickoff for a lot less as well, or any other gas gun will have less recoil

May I suggest a kickeez recoil pad or a falcon strike for the 870. Both will add about 1/2" to 3/4" to lop
    2 things....Hole spacing must be very carefully measured for synthetic stock guns. LOP (Length of Pull) can't readily be adjusted (a few synthetic guns had pieces that can be removed and spacers can be had to fine tune the LOP).
    On a wood stocked shotgun, the stock can be cut to offset the added LOP. In fact, you can even use a thicker pad it can be made to any LOP by varying stock length and thickness of Kickeez pad.
    There are other pads specifically made for various shotguns, but I have been very happy with the Kickeez pads on my Guerini and my Ruger 77 in 338 Mag. I used to work for Scott's Gunsmithing and he is a fan of these pads as they not only work very well, but tend to grind and finish very well when hand fitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom