• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Missed the discussion but thought the actual LAW should be noted for the OP so he doesn't get himself into trouble.

The OP posted:

"someone in Maryland attempting to sell a car without registering the car under their name first."

Md Transportation article does NOT require a vehicle to be registered in their name prior to reselling. Under Md Transportation Article 13-101.1 they are however required to apply for a title in their name. The penalty for not doing this is a $70 pre-payable fine, it is NOT a felony.
    vehicle titling.jpg

Note - I am not a lawyer and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I can read at a High School level.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Soo...I don't have to worry about no-knocks from concerned citizens?

::takes off plate carrier over pj's::

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Soo...I don't have to worry about no-knocks from concerned citizens?

::takes off plate carrier over pj's::
    Let's not get carried away. The OP(in question) will find another legal way to choot somebody, me thinks.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I think back to the OP of that one, if it is reported to the police and FBI and neither are interested in investigating? Where would one think performing a citizen's arrest would do any good? Unless they are also going to become citizen prosecutor, judge, jury, and jailer...

And I suspect that doesn't end well for the concerned citizen.

Pretty much all citizen arrest state laws state that one is only allowed when a violent felony, sometimes just a run of the mill felony, is actively occurring. Like stopping an armed robber. But you couldn't go back to the armed robbers house later that day and citizen's arrest them.

I can't speak at all to MD statute on the matter.

But I have to think, OP might be a little off the rocker that they supposedly reported something to multiple law enforcement agencies, they didn't want to do anything with it, and now they are asking "can I arrest the person myself"?

I can't help wondering if OP might also have a pending case for tax evasion, but Sovreign citizens don't have to pay taxes....

I do have such a neighbor who has (well, I guess kudos to them, because so far successfully) been fighting to stay in their house for more than a decade according to court records. They decided not to pay their mortgage about that long ago and been fighting delaying tactics. Heck, their house went to auction a year ago and sold and are finally facing final eviction shortly. It is rarely a good sign when the judge in the case writes that the defendant replied to the complaint with "incomprehensible legal arguments".

I am still shocked they've managed to live there for 10 years, payment free (I assume they've been paying property taxes, because I can't imagine Maryland letting them stay tax free that long).

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Blue collar crime IMHO and want to make a citizens arrest . Nope not me, more then likely in 99% of cases i am letting LE handle such things.
    I will be a good witness and document what has happened. I did not see or get active on that old thread, did it get locked down?

Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel
    Blue collar crime IMHO and want to make a citizens arrest . Nope not me, more then likely in 99% of cases i am letting LE handle such things.
    I will be a good witness and document what has happened. I did not see or get active on that old thread, did it get locked down?
    Yes.
    Hypothetically, is a follow-up thread to a locked thread a forum felony? And if so, would one then justified in attempting a citizen's arrest? Asking for a friend. (I don't think there's anything wrong with this thread, just being a smartass.)

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    Well, if anyone lives near him, the term “situational awareness” might come to mind.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Can I shoot someone because they looked at me? It was a threatening look by the way.
    But, can I do a citizen's arrest on someone because they shot at me while I was giving them a disapproving look for asking if it was ok to shoot the suspicious looking old man walking his dog in front of his RV and if the dog pooping on the curb made it a felony?

Sirex