• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwhaley

Oct 20, 2008
    No, it really isn't.

Matter of fact the higher the magnification the less obvious the front sight is.

With a 3x I can make out a shadow in the lower portion of the scope, by the time I get to 9x I'm lucky to notice anything.

I'll take your word for it; in high-sunlight conditions sometimes the FSP is pretty prominent in my TA33. It's not the end of the world, but if one plans to run a magnified optic, might as well shoot for a clean rail while the canvas is still white.

Truth be told, I don't really have much experience with anything else on a FSP AR (all other AR's I've shot with serious optics have had some form of RIS or freefloat tube with folding BUIS front and rear.) Good to know, though; that would make a scoped 20" build much cheaper/simpler. Thanks.

Boom - roasted!

Uhhh....okay there...

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Turned out nicer than I'd expected. It balances right around the delta ring (even with the Aimpoint) which is perfect.

Now let's hope this sucker isn't under-gassed.

You are way too worried it being under-gassed. That thing will run like a top. No doubt in my mind. I swap lowers on my rifle gassed Ar all the time and never have had issues with standar,H,H2 or St2 buffers with all kinds of handloads and factory ammo.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Oh, and with the Aimpoint Comp M2/QRP mount and empty PMAG, the rifle weighs at a nice 8.4 pounds.

I'll probably grab the Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic for my own purposes after I replenish my gun funds.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    You are way too worried it being under-gassed. That thing will run like a top. No doubt in my mind.

Cool. Yeah, PSA told me to use a standard carbine buffer which didn't sound right, considering BCM recommends an H2 or H3 for their government profile 20" upper. I'll probably get a chance to shoot it tomorrow or Sunday.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Two more photos, for the giggles.

Attachments

• _DSC4940-2.jpg
      _DSC4940-2.jpg
      44.4 KB · Views: 253
    • _DSC4936.jpg
      _DSC4936.jpg
      39.4 KB · Views: 253

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Shot my AR today, and it is buttery smooth. Had some issues with short-stroking when I switched to the steel-cased stuff, but it turned out that my rifle just needed more lube.

Pretty pleased with how it turned out.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    glad to hear my fn 20 is on order from psa and waiting for it to arrive

It's definitely a high quality upper. The handguards are a bit cheesy though. If you like the A2 look, I would consider going with Colt handguards. If not, carry on. :thumbsup:

justsand

Ultimate Member
    Jul 14, 2010
    monrovia md
    It's definitely a high quality upper. The handguards are a bit cheesy though. If you like the A2 look, I would consider going with Colt handguards. If not, carry on. :thumbsup:

i will be putting MOE on them how hard is it to take off the original ones? sorry this is my fist build so i got tons of questions

EngageSmith

Industry Partner
    May 31, 2011
    Kensington, MD
    This barrel is nice. Glad to see some affordable GI-spec 20" uppers hitting the market. The rifle handles very well! I was shooting with jawn yesterday, and saw the issues with the TulAmmo, he just threw on some Slip2000 EWL in there and it continued to run just fine.

Pretty smooth shooting too. I have an unbuilt Spike's lower laying around, and I've sourced a Colt A2 stock kit for it. May just have to pick up one of these to complete it. A nice simple A2/A4 type rifle would be a welcome addition to the safe! And a truly KISS rifle will be nice for introducing new shooters to handling the AR-15 platform.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I finally got around to weighing my rifle. Without an optic, but with an MBUS and a empty PMAG, it weighs in at a very manageable 7.7lbs.

I could probably shave more weight with a CTR stock or something of that nature, but I like how the EMOD counterbalances some of the weight of the barrel while providing nooks and crannies to hide gummy bears. Never know when you might need a gummy bear in the field.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Ran 300-some rounds of XM855 through it this afternoon. No failures, and I was popping clays at 50 yards pretty readily.

I still haven't really cleaned it (boresnaked it last night), but I do run it nice and wet with Slip2000 EWL. So far, it's run commercial bulk pack 55gr .223, steel-case stuff, and XM855 with no real problems. I did have the minor issue with steel-case last week, but it's running like a champ now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom