• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you look closely it is absolute junk. Compare that to a safe climber and you wouldnt use that thing if you were sitting 4 feet off theground.

I would not buy any climbing tree stand for $172, let alone $72.:sad20:

1obxnut

Aug 21, 2013
    Silver Spring, MoCo
    I love/hate my Summit Titan..love that it's easy to use, comfortable, light...but hate that it's too comfortable...keep falling asleep in it!!:sad20: gonna have to sell it sooner or later (pulled stomach muscle twice)

leavnalegacy

Mar 24, 2013
    I would not waste my time on a cheap tree stand... Safety is number one. Also invest in a quality harness that provides good circulation, God forbid a slip/accident/mishap, and you get stuck dangling in one which cuts your circulation rather quickly. IMHO

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Check out Craigslist. A lot of guys who hunt a lot upgrade their gear from time to time. I got my API Climber stand for $160. They're normally $250-300. I basically have this one, just a couple model years older http://www.apioutdoors.com/products/acl304-a-crusader-climbing-treestand.html

The guy I bought it from had owned it for one year, added a cup holder (clutch!) and extra seat cushion (sweet!) and then decided he wanted a different style after all. He posted it on Craigslist for $200 and I emailed offering $150. We settled on $160.

That said, I would never take a chance with a second hand harness. Safety has got to be the top priority. I got this one for $40 off of Amazon last year and it's awesome. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004V8ZNHM/ref=pe_385040_30332190_pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

So all told it cost me $180 to get the full rig.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I hunted an API for 14 years. Last year I switched to a Summit because of weight difference (15 lbs lighter) but I'd rather have my API back. More comfortable and a little easier to operate. And yes, I sleep in it all the time. 4 or 5 30 second naps and I'm GTG for the all day set.

rocksnsticks

Jan 20, 2013
    Westminster MD
    For what it's worth…..in the off-season/prep stage I spray-paint my deer stands (both climbers and ladder) with the spray in truck bed stuff. It provides a matt finish, makes them more water resistant, muffles some of the noise and provides additional traction/grip.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    For what it's worth…..in the off-season/prep stage I spray-paint my deer stands (both climbers and ladder) with the spray in truck bed stuff. It provides a matt finish, makes them more water resistant, muffles some of the noise and provides additional traction/grip.

I take that camo burlap you can buy just about anywhere, cut it into 3" strips, and wrap my climbers with it. When one strip gets near its end, I tie on another one via square knot and keep on going till it's done. You can literally throw the top half against the bottom and hear just a quiet thud. The rattier it gets(from frequent use) the better it looks. I've had many deer look up at it, only to flick their tail and move on un spooked. It usually lasts 2 season before I have to redo it.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    ^Great set up! I've been thinking about doing something along those lines. I took care of the noisy spots of the stand with a little Ballistol and believe it or not, moleskin adhesive pieces that are normally used for blister prevention on feet. I used moleskin on my bow as well for places where an arrow tends to bump and make noise. I had six deer under my tree stand yesterday evening. Only five are around today :)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    ^Great set up! I've been thinking about doing something along those lines. I took care of the noisy spots of the stand with a little Ballistol and believe it or not, moleskin adhesive pieces that are normally used for blister prevention on feet. I used moleskin on my bow as well for places where an arrow tends to bump and make noise. I had six deer under my tree stand yesterday evening. Only five are around today :)

Get some!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom