• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdunphyjr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2010
    North point / Dundalk
    If you are speaking about climbers. ...

Cheap is ok but cheap equals steel, steel equals heavy.

I have dozens of stands, climbers, lock on's, ladders.... out of all my summit is the lightest and most comfortable.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    What if you fall from that? You don't have a safety line from a tree attached to a harness. Do you attach it to the stand itself?

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    What if you fall from that? You don't have a safety line from a tree attached to a harness. Do you attach it to the stand itself?

If you felt like you needed a harness, you could attached it to the stand itself directly under the seat.

Realize though, you are climbing at an angle, not straight up meaning less of a chance of a fall. While you climb, you are leaning into the stand, not away from it. Plus you have the safety bar at the top that prevents you from falling out.

And say what you will about the looks, it is surprisingly stable from my experience. The horizontal support arms do a good job. I actually got the stand for my father in his mid-70s to hunt from. I didn't like the idea of traditional tree stands for him and this is a much more stable set-up that I found much easier and safer to enter and exit.

Hope I didn't jinx myself...

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    You aren't using a safety harness? Wow!

You're taking a big risk if you aren't.

Thanks for the risk assessment.

I am well aware of the (small) risk I'm taking. I'm a nurse and an avid climber and mountaineer. I've taken advanced vertical rescue classes and led big climbs out west. Based on what I consider my abilities and the risks, I am being quite safe.

The stand is 12' at the rail and I never go up with a loaded firearm or any arrows. If i were to fall (which I think I would have to try to do), it would be about an 7 or 8 foot fall into a nicely plowed winter wheat field while I'm in well-insulated/padded clothing. And I don't hunt alone out there. I don't see my particular stand as being much more dangerous than a jungle gym.

I don't see a harness preventing much risk in my situation...

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I'll pay more for a better quality stand, but how many chains and cable locks do I need to keep some sleazebag from stealing it? I've been warned of a POS neighbor who likes to steal stands, feeders, and game cams, and some assholes are still going on the property on motorbikes despite ropes and no trespassing signs. I can visit the property once a week if I want to take the time and spend on the gas, but that's not enough deterrent. Unless my shooting range starts to scare them...(last sat was 2 women with AR's- seeing that would scare them, right? LOL)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I tried a few (including more expensive units) but this has been my favorite:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod..._campaign=CI&gclid=CKme3Jaq-MACFUVo7Aodl1sAYw

Took a while to put together and was missing some bolts, but very easy to set-up and move and I feel MUCH safer than anything attached to a tree. Additionally, I am able to throw these in the middle of fields I wouldn't be able to hunt above otherwise.

They make a cable with a turn buckle to run straight from the seat down to the ground below, screwing it to the ground with an auger-type anchor. The biggest danger from those tripod stands is tipping over.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    They make a cable with a turn buckle to run straight from the seat down to the ground below, screwing it to the ground with an auger-type anchor. The biggest danger from those tripod stands is tipping over.

Never liked them for that very reason.

Jim Smith

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom