• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shemp

Feb 21, 2013
    Out There
    I got a call from MSP concerning my CCW. She said I should take a proficiency test with the gun I'm going to carry. She said every little bit helps. A co in millersville offers them for $125 it takes about a half hour at On Target and you get a score on your performance at different distances. The price seems ridiculous to me. Has anyone else done this? Or should I just take my chances and proceed without it? Thanks. Shemp

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    I got a call from MSP concerning my CCW. She said I should take a proficiency test with the gun I'm going to carry. She said every little bit helps. A co in millersville offers them for $125 it takes about a half hour at On Target and you get a score on your performance at different distances. The price seems ridiculous to me. Has anyone else done this? Or should I just take my chances and proceed without it? Thanks. Shemp

Huh? First I've heard of that. Are you sure she was calling from the MSP?

Feb 28, 2013

That's probably the easy part. What's your "good and substantial reason" for wanting to endanger the lives of the people of the state of MD by exercising your Constitutional right to bear arms?

Shemp

Feb 21, 2013
    Out There
    The only place I could find that offered it was Worth-A-Shot in Millersville. It is not offered at On Target but they use that facility. It is not a state program, just a suggestion from her because she knows how hard I'd is to get approved. She was very nice throughout the interview. I am not going to do it though.
    Shemp.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Really? The lady suggests that you go take a 125 course on top of what you have all ready paid to apply for your CCW. Sorry no thanks I wouldn't do it.

I'm asking where the money is going to MD as you say in your first post ???

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    As of this point in time there is no requirement for a civilian CCW holder to take a proficiency test to get your permit. That will change in October once MOM signs the crap passed this last session. Then new permits will require an sixteen hours course with a proficiency test and renewals will be 8 hour class with proficiency test. It's still open ended as how this is going to happen? Chris

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    As of this point in time there is no requirement for a civilian CCW holder to take a proficiency test to get your permit. That will change in October once MOM signs the crap passed this last session. Then new permits will require an sixteen hours course with a proficiency test and renewals will be 8 hour class with proficiency test. It's still open ended as how this is going to happen? Chris

As I understand it, that only applies if you have never purchased a regulated firearm prior to Oct1.

Sounds like a reason to purchase now by itself.

Renewal? Renewal of what?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Never heard of that before...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It is not required just a suggestion to better your chances according to the woman I spoke to

I don't think that's the case. You either have G&S or you don't. I have never heard of training bettering your chances.

Shemp

Feb 21, 2013
    Out There
    Spoke with her again today. All my contacts have benn called including my wife. I told her I could not take the course I mentioned and she said that was fine. So the ball is rolling we will see what happens. :thumbsup:
    Shemp

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Spoke with her again today. All my contacts have benn called including my wife. I told her I could not take the course I mentioned and she said that was fine. So the ball is rolling we will see what happens. :thumbsup:
    Shemp

This is the first I've heard of anyone having direct (back and forth) contact with any one person at the MSP.

When did you apply and what is your G&S?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom