• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    When I carry with my Utah CCL, I carry my W.German Sig P226. I love the gun.

If it's too long to read just skip to the bottom

As much as I say it is heavy and feels like a boat anchor in my pants, it's not that bad really. I have even CC'd it IWB on a rigorous 2-day wilderness hike with a heavy ruck on. That wasn't pleasant, but it's usually not that bad on normal CC'ing besides pants sagging.

The other negative it that the gun in general is huge. The grip in particular makes a noticeable bulge depending on the shirt. It isn't too bad, and I really don't care when I'm in most states. When MD starts putting out CCL's though, I think I want to avoid anyone seeing that I'm carrying.

So then I thought maybe I would upgrade to a holster that distributes weight better. Something like a Crossbreed supertuck. I'm currently using a holster that does not distribute weight well at all.

I'm not ruling out carrying the 226, but I'm also opening up for other CCW options. I'm getting a pocket pistol .380, but that's more for a pocket gun when I really need to go concealed. I really feel like I need something with a decent magazine capacity. I wouldn't feel good only having 8 rounds or so. The other thing is that I do NOT want a safety. Caliber needs to be 9mm. I really like the comfort of DA/SA guns, but it doesn't have to be.

I have thought about the Glock 19, but I have a problem with the grip angle when I use one. I notice I always shoot high. Things like a G26 are just too small for what I'm looking for. Another consideration was the S&W M&P9c. I liked how it felt like a full-sized grip because of the grip extension. The Sig P239 seemed nice too, but it only holds 8 rounds I think.

I guess I wrote this long thing out of boredom, but if you have any suggestions of guns to try that might fit my criteria let me know them. It is mainly for concealed carry and I'm not asking to debate which is best, just for a suggestion of a few good ones to check out.

mrbule

Jan 12, 2010
    Walther p99 as system sounds like it would be right up your alley.
    Double/single action trigger style with decocker on a striker fired gun. Ergonomics that can't be beat. Pretty light and holds 15+1.
    The shape and contour of the slide makes it print less than a standard square slide. Amazing trigger when you get used to it with the same trigger reset that the ppq is all of a sudden famous for but that the p99 has had for years.
    Reliability is second to none.
    They also make a p99c. The compact version that I think is 10+1. But will take full size mags and has a sleeve for the mag. The only problem is I have never seen one. Or I would have bought it on the spot.

Mags etc are pricey for it. But it's well worth the cost.

It's what a glock wishes it could be.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Springfield XDM - my next gun.
    Borrowed my instructors and could not believe how much more accurate it was for me compared to my Glock 19 G4.

I prefer the .45 (very little addl recoil) as compared to the 9mm. Plus, it comes with std and hi-cap mags, and a starter holster and mag holder.

http://www.the-m-factor.com/html/home.html

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    For a small 9mm

HKP2000SK, M&P9c, or Glock26 with Finger Extension

(I dont like the glock for ergo reasons)

If you want a .45 I suggest a HK45c, XDM45c with Finger Extension, or Glock30 (I dont like the XDM because they can be finnicky when dirty or have the wrong lube. I dont like the ergos of the Glock)

Screw the single stack guns. If you carry, carry something with capacity. I dont want to get into some "I dont need more than 6 rounds" debate because its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I wouldnt want a small capacity gun if I was in a shooter situation like in CO at ALL.

mrbule

Jan 12, 2010
    Not to derail the thread but.

Wait a second. Is the p99 compact not even on the md roster? Am I missing something? I thought that would be a given.

And mr gun surgeon extroidanaire what do you think of the p99 in compact? I know you said you like the p99 and highly recommended the ppq. Do you have any experience with the p99c? Thanks in advance.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Surprised you left the 4" M&P .45 off of there.

OP - I'm only 5'10, maybe 155 lbs at most, but with proper attire it disappears on me. It's my primary carry (when I'm able to), and it hasn't let me down so far. Apex Hard Sear is definitely a nice improvement over the factory sear.

ETA: Just noticed OP said it HAS to be 9mm, my bad.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Not to derail the thread but.

Wait a second. Is the p99 compact not even on the md roster? Am I missing something? I thought that would be a given.

And mr gun surgeon extroidanaire what do you think of the p99 in compact? I know you said you like the p99 and highly recommended the ppq. Do you have any experience with the p99c? Thanks in advance.

I like the gun but the trigger needs some refinement. The M&Pc does all that gun does with a cheaper price tag. The p99c is not a cheap gun.

Surprised you left the 4" M&P .45 off of there.

OP - I'm only 5'10, maybe 155 lbs at most, but with proper attire it disappears on me. It's my primary carry (when I'm able to), and it hasn't let me down so far. Apex Hard Sear is definitely a nice improvement over the factory sear.

Its about capacity for me, it dosent hold much, but you are right, its a fantastic gun.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    14 round mags are always available... ;)

hmm - when am I going to Va next??? :innocent0

I'll have to get that one into your hands sometime in the future, the Hard Sear and the AEK Trigger have cleaned it up nicely, turned into a pretty respectable shooter.

Planning on swapping out the front sight around september, that brass bead front sight is likely going to be the one I swap out the factory one with, I'll worry about the rear sight later.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    14 round mags are always available... ;)

hmm - when am I going to Va next??? :innocent0

I'll have to get that one into your hands sometime in the future, the Hard Sear and the AEK Trigger have cleaned it up nicely, turned into a pretty respectable shooter.

Planning on swapping out the front sight around september, that brass bead front sight is likely going to be the one I swap out the factory one with, I'll worry about the rear sight later.

I agree, but I meant the mag they are equipped with in a compact config. ;)

Sounds like a fantastic rig indeed. :thumbsup: I would love to see it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Ahh... gotcha, when I got mine it came with 2 standard 10 round mags, didn't know they had a smaller capacity mag they offered for it, learn something new every day.

SCAR's shot this one (before the mods), but it's definitely improved some now. I'll have to arrange a range trip, got to make amends with Mopar, we had one scheduled, but I wound up getting hung up that day shooting with SCAR... :o

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The 226 being comparable to the 229, SUCKS to ccw. My work gun is a 229 and have been carrying it concealed for almost 11 years now. My only comfort is a Galco concealable belt holster. Hell, I can ever wear it cross draw if needed. When I have to do something "different" for work I will suffer through the supertuck, but not tucking, just untucked. For me, I find I have to carry different for different situations and dress. My range of motion, bending, etc.... is extremely limited by IWB. I will sometimes throw on the 511 holster shirt and lob the blaster in there with 2 mags under the other arm. I have a Survival Sheath brand kydex shoulder holster that I will wear sometimes too.

I am always packing my extra options with me when I am going to travel.
    I think by far the easiest, most concealable pistols are are of the shape and size of the Glock 23 variety/comparables.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I know this is outside of what you want, but have you given a Derringer any thought for a walk around gun?

Bond Arms has a good selection of calibers...

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    For a small 9mm

HKP2000SK, M&P9c, or Glock26 with Finger Extension

If you want a .45 I suggest a HK45c, XDM45c with Finger Extension, or Glock30 (I dont like the XDM because they can be finnicky when dirty or have the wrong lube. I dont like the ergos of the Glock)

Screw the single stack guns. If you carry, carry something with capacity. I dont want to get into some "I dont need more than 6 rounds" debate because its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I wouldnt want a small capacity gun if I was in a shooter situation like in CO at ALL.

Yeah I'm staying away from Glock because the grip always makes me aim too high. Mag capacity is a big requirement for me.

M&P 9c felt pretty good when I held it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Sounds like you have your mind made up, the M&P 9c is a fine choice, I bought one of the early models back around 07, and have carried it a lot, shot IDPA with it, and run a couple boxes through it every trip to the range. It has never misfired or jammed in 5 years and probably 10,000 rounds. The only small issues were a recall(only affecting the first couple years of production) and the finish has worn on the slide from my holster, no big deal really. It is probably the best shooting compact I have owned, you can run it like a full-sized, but it is almost pocket sized, especially with flat base mags. I did some trigger work to mine, basically copying the Burwell job, and it made a big difference, the stock safety button gives a gritty feel, and the sear had a lot of creep, but now with Apex parts around, and S&W improving the triggers from the factory, good triggers are far easier to get.

I also have a G30SF, went to the shop money in hand to buy an M&P 45C, they also had a G30SF, although like you I didn't care for how GLOCKs pointed for me, so I didn't really consider it, but figured I should check it out. Turns out the M&P 45 is fairly big, the G30 is 1.2" shorter in length and actually 3/4 of an inch shorter with a 9rd mag, and 1/4 inch shorter with 10 rounds and a slightly extended mag, basically the same capacity as the full sized M&P45, but shorter than the compact and it's 8rd capacity. The best thing is that the grip not only felt good, but it pointed well too, my dislike for GLOCK grips began with my Dad's G19 and it's short wide grip swept too far, the standard G30 had a big hump in the bottom rear of the grip, forcing the muzzle upwards, and it felt very large. The G30SF's grip is shorter than the standard 30, longer than the 9/40 frames, but is straighter, the hump is almost flattened, and it feels really good. After owning the G30SF and carrying it for a couple years, it has proven a wonderful pistol, lots of firepower for it's size, and while larger than the M&P 9C it is still a maneagable size, and actually fits in most of the same holsters, in fact a lot of the early part#s for M&P 9c holsters in catalogs were in fact G30 holsters.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28

[/QUOTE]
    My wrists are not limp enough for a Glock either.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Why has no one suggested a snubbie?

5 rounds of .357 shot at close range? Sounds like the fight is over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom