• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • May 25, 2009
    So some recent events have unfolded...and now I think it's not entirely hopeless to apply for a CCW in MD.

Basically, I have obtained a restraining order against someone on the grounds of stalking. Said person has a criminal history, including criminal possession of a loaded firearm. I don't have documented evidence of threats or anything, which is why I went with the stalking angle in court. So...would I stand a chance? And without hiring lawyers(I can't afford that), how much would I end up spending in the process?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    You can get a restraining order with no documentation? Seems like they need something to go on, or else anyone could get a restraining order against anyone.

May 25, 2009
    You can get a restraining order with no documentation? Seems like they need something to go on, or else anyone could get a restraining order against anyone.

Witnesses and the guy didn't show up to court to defend himself. You can get a temporary one against anyone though, it would seem. You have to present your case, but there is no way for them to defend them self when it's only a temporary one. I guess you could just lie...but then it would be perjury.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Seriously? One person making you feel unsafe at home and work is not enough? My god this whole thing is so bass ackwards...

Yes, Im serious. The Threat scenario is setup so its almost impossible to reliably document threats and use them for issuance of a MD Permit.

The D's in MD can be thanked for the methods of finding "cause" for issuance of a MD Handgn Permit.

Teemus

MSI Executive Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    FUGEDDABOUTIT...unless you have several poilce reports about DOCUMENTED actual attacks, assaults, etc. And then, even if you do obtain a permit, if and when the guy threatening you is arrrested, tried, convicted, and imprisoned, then the threat (and your permit) goes away because you don't need it any longer.

Welcome to the People's Republic of Marylandistan.

May 25, 2009
    FUGEDDABOUTIT...unless you have several poilce reports about DOCUMENTED actual attacks, assaults, etc. And then, even if you do obtain a permit, if and when the guy threatening you is arrrested, tried, convicted, and imprisoned, then the threat (and your permit) goes away because you don't need it any longer.

Well...the drama is far from over. The guy is still around, just keeping his distance. I don't expect him to be obeying the protective order forever. It sucks, because I wasn't just looking for an excuse for a permit. I'm genuinely concerned about this guy. I've never, not once, been to court before he showed up. I have also never felt threatened by someone for an extended period of time before...I guess a hefty folding knife and the ability to run fast are my best defense for now. Thanks for the input.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD

You can go to a commissioners office 24/7 and 99% of the time they will issue a temporary order. Then you go to court within a week for the final order where you state the case. Its pretty relaxed actually theyll give it to just about anyone for even the dumbest reasons.

Tom43491

Dec 9, 2009
    Timonium

Here's hoping MD gets its backwards @$$ handed to it in court and is forced to accept self defense as a "good and substantial reason"!

Then we will all :party29:, and the lowlife scumbags will all be like :sad20:

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Ask your stalker for a notarized statement that he intends you harm. :)
    ROFLMAO!!!

They STILL wouldn't issue a permit!

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Needless to say, if I were on your jury, I wouldn't convict you even for just carrying. Though, for a misdemeanor, is that even a jury trial?

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    For me personal defense must come first especially if your life truly is being threatened.
    If I had a stalker who was a danger to me and/or my family, I would carry without even thinking twice whether I have "permission" from the state or not but that's just me and I am not a lawyer.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    For me personal defense must come first especially if your life truly is being threatened.
    If I had a stalker who was a danger to me and/or my family, I would carry without even thinking twice whether I have "permission" from the state or not but that's just me and I am not a lawyer.
    That said, I would still apply, simply because, if it comes to light that you were carrying without a permit, it shows that you attempted NOT to circumvent the bad 2A law, and you still have the Constitution on your side.

Though, as weapons collector says above, I would not take my opinion as legal advice either.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    You should be calling the police and filing a "police information report", at a minimum, each time a negative interaction occurs with your adversary. That is one of the most common items of documentation that many folks don't take the time to do. I've heard of people saying that they are being harassed, followed, etc., but they have never called the police to file a police information report. Likely, because many don't realize that you can call the police to simply document an incident/encounter that, otherwise, is not a crime. Police information reports are one of the key items that the courts look for/at when considering permanent restraining orders, etc.

A common phrase used in the legal world that is well worth remembering - "document, document, document".

Last edited:

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    You should be calling the police and filing a "police information report", at a minimum, each time a negative interaction occurs with your adversary. That is one the most common items of documentation that many folks don't take the time to do. I've heard of people saying that they are being harassed, followed, etc., but they have never called the police to file a police information report. Likely, because many don't realize that you can call the police to simply document an incident/encounter that, otherwise, is not a crime. Police information reports are one of the key items that the courts look for/at when considering permanent restraining orders, etc.

A common phrase used in the legal world that is well worth remembering - "document, document, document".

+1000 on this another catchy phrase to remember is, "if you didn't write it down, it never happened".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom