• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    The anti-gun sentiment is simple. If you need protection, call the cops. That's what James Brady said when he would tour gun banning groups.

But lately we've seen that our society isn't as rock-solid as our leaders let on. Fox News has been publicizing the very real danger of an electromagnetic pulse event, caused either by solar anomalies or a nuclear attack. Such a disaster would knock out our entire electrical grid, stop food production and distribution, knock out our heat and air conditioning as well as our freezers and lights. In such a situation, many cops would leave their duty stations and go home to protect their families.

A similar situation happened in New Orleans a few years ago, and the only police who happened to knock on your door were there to collect your guns.

It made me wonder whether Maryland laws governing gun carry would apply in serious catastrophic situations caused by attacks or natural disasters. There are increasing numbers of people with food and water supplies, but trash pickup may be seriously impaired as well as calling 911. Do cops in Maryland receive any disaster training at all?

Also, what would happen with prisons that were suddenly unable to feed or care for their ummm...guests? Would the federal and state governments just throw open the doors and let everyone go, or would they leave them interred to perish without being able to feed them or distribute water?

One of the greatest fears for secret squirrel organizations is that some small vessel would enter the Gulf of Mexico, launch a nuclear device to detonate in the upper atmosphere, then pull the plugs and send the boat to the bottom of the gulf (with its crew), making it impossible to trace. Decades ago we would have just nuked all the suspects and let God sort it out. Now, however, if we had an exceptionally weak president, there may be no reprisal at all.

What would we, as good Maryland citizens, be expected to do? And really, aren't such situations behind the whole militia concept in the Constitution, anyway?

The last solar EMP event happened in 1859. It knocked out our telegraphs but not much more than that. If the same solar event were to happen today, it would thrust everyone back into the early 19th century. No insulin, no meds, no pain medicine, no ambulances. Fortunately, one thing we won't have to worry about is our leaders and their families. The president and Congressional members would be taken to safe havens with plenty of food and medicine, with adequate heating and air conditioning and security, laundry and trash services.

Any thoughts?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    What percentage of people is prepared right now to survive past this weekend without power, running water, and a steady supply of more food? Truth is that minus those things on a countrywide scale, never mind worldwide, urbanized society would return to medieval or earlier times within a week or two, with tens of millions of people in our country alone dying of thirst, starvation, and cold within that short time frame. Collectively, we take so much for granted and are so unprepared it's insane.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Set out rainbarrels, hunker down, eat the neighbors.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I was at a presentation by MoCo emergency management.

They recommend at least 3 - 5 days of food and water in your house at all times. They estimate that less than 15% of houses meet this requirement. Sad.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I was at a presentation by MoCo emergency management.

They recommend at least 3 - 5 days of food and water in your house at all times. They estimate that less than 15% of houses meet this requirement. Sad.

Wow.

I remember my wife asking me if I would run out to the store and pick up a few thing before an impending snow storm. I asked her if she was @*&%^$#@ crazy. I wasn't going to go fight all those crazy people and told her we had enough food to last at least a month and that we may not eat gourmet every day but we would eat.:)

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I was a fire controlman in the Navy. Not a fire fighter, I controlled the firing of the ship's weapons. In fire control man 'A' school we were given 36 weeks of electronics training, 8 hours a day 5 days a week. That was the first time I had heard of EMP. All of the Navy weapon system electronics were hardened to protect against EMP.

While talking about EMP the instructors described the theory behind building one and how a simple EMP device could be built for a few hundred dollars that could be taken to the highest point of a city or floated up on a balloon and wipe out all the electronics for an entire city. I'm really surprised there hasn't been an EMP attack yet.

The EMP generates an electrical pulse so strong it burns up all electronics. Not just modern digital electronics, but anything electrical. That toaster that's unplugged and stored in a kitchen cabinet? Done. A flashlight out in the garage? Done. Uncle Larry's pacemaker? Done.

In such an event there would be no gun confiscations like after Katrina because all the data storage devices that hold our info would be fried.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I didn't know an emp would fry a flashlight. Maybe I need to rethink my doomsday plan.

I was a fire controlman in the Navy. Not a fire fighter, I controlled the firing of the ship's weapons. In fire control man 'A' school we were given 36 weeks of electronics training, 8 hours a day 5 days a week. That was the first time I had heard of EMP. All of the Navy weapon system electronics were hardened to protect against EMP.

I'm not trying to divert the thread but FT's are rare on this forum, I think you're the only one. Old school GMG here. Ever go to school at Dam Neck, VA?

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    What percentage of people is prepared right now to survive past this weekend without power, running water, and a steady supply of more food? Truth is that minus those things on a countrywide scale, never mind worldwide, urbanized society would return to medieval or earlier times within a week or two, with tens of millions of people in our country alone dying of thirst, starvation, and cold within that short time frame. Collectively, we take so much for granted and are so unprepared it's insane.

Yep. Only the Amish would be prepared. Their lifestyle and capability would mesh with the surviving technology. For pretty much everyone else, it's back to the stone age ...

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I didn't know an emp would fry a flashlight. Maybe I need to rethink my doomsday plan.

An old school 2D light may survive because they used a strip of metal to carry electricity to the bulb, but the bulb itself would go. Any LED flashlight has a small circuit board inside and that would definitely fry.

An EMP is a massive electro-magnetic pulse traveling in a 360 degree radius from a certain point. When you have a moving magnetic field about an electrical conductor you will generate electricity in that conductor. So as the magnetic pulse travels through the air it generates brief but extremely high electrical currents in electrical devices which burns them up. Anything electrical which is not properly shielded will fry.

The sphinx

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2013
    Delaware
    Not to mention the people that are fully dependent on the government for food and medical care. All that would instantly be cut off for them. I guess under this scenario everyone would be short of food but point being I would think within a few days these people would be kicking in doors for your food.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Keep your emergency flashlights, radios , electronics inside an old microwave oven thats not being used. It works like a faraday cage and can protect electronics from an emp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom