• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    documented threats are pretty easy to understand. As a matter of fact, I recently ran into a fellow who had applied on that basis and was turned down. He then appealed MSP's decision. It was refreshing to read the letter from the board directing the MSP to issue his permit forthwith.

Not if those that are supposed to document, don't. Not if the only witnesses are family members. The MDSP doesn't recognize them as credible, and sorry, none of the perps were willing to give me a sworn statement. :innocent0

What about my wife's stalker ex-boyfriend who now knows where I live and what I drive? He has done some pretty f'ed up things, and has threatened her life... Does that give me a reason?

They won't accept threats that haven't ocurred to you specifically. They also view what "might happen" as your own personal fear, and therfore, not a credible threat.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    Not if those that are supposed to document, don't. Not if the only witnesses are family members. The MDSP doesn't recognize them as credible, and sorry, none of the perps were willing to give me a sworn statement. :innocent0

They won't accept threats that haven't ocurred to you specifically. They also view what "might happen" as your own personal fear, and therfore, not a credible threat.

Such crap. If these "police officers" understood criminals at all, they would understand jelous ex-boyfriends will generally go after the husband of their recently married ex, that they used to abuse, and have threatened to kill.

MSP is such crap in this aspect.

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    Such crap. If these "police officers" understood criminals at all, they would understand jelous ex-boyfriends will generally go after the husband of their recently married ex, that they used to abuse, and have threatened to kill.

Yes, they view anything that hasn't happened to you as "percieved" and your own personal fear. The point here is that based on their criteria, shouldn't the perp be locked up for "assault" BEFORE you have to file for a CCW? In my case, the threat never got added to the police report, because apparently they were deluged with writing a book on the perp for beating the snot out of the young lady that I stopped him from choking to death. When I did, he threatened me. Given him choking the snot out of and beating his girlfriend nearly to death, I took his threat as credible. I think it was at the point I saw the color drain from her face, her eyes rolling back in her head, and her tongue flopping around inside her mouth as he was choking and shaking her that clued me in. I only kick myself for not getting video of the whole thing.

Oh, and did I tell you that was three weeks AFTER he baseball batted another young man into a coma? While he was waiting for the choking trial, he got picked up for having drugs and a HANDGUN in his car.

They finally told me that he was no longer a threat because they put him back in jail. In the YEAR long process of filing for a permit, he got locked up for violating his parole for baseball batting the young man into a coma. His new crime - ARMED ROBBERY!!!

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville

How do you kill a snake? My grandmother always whacked their heads off with a hoe. If you are frustrated with the way MSP does things then start at the top.

The Superintendent of the State Police is appointed by the Governor. If you go out and vote for Ehrlich today you are making a move to replace Col. Sheridan.

While the Colonel does direct the actions of Maryland State Police he is still required to follow the law. If the law is written such that 'self defense' is not a good enough reason then his hands are tied. However, the Colonel might be able to direct his team to be more liberal (sorry) with the permits and providing folks with non-documented threats a permit.

So to bring up your post from earlier...
    Meh, he hasn't had too much of a campaign this year. I don't like any of the candidates to be honest. I might not even vote...

Please do not whine about our government and do nothing to change it.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    Meh, he hasn't had too much of a campaign this year. I don't like any of the candidates to be honest. I might not even vote...

"The world is a dangerous place. Not because of people who are evil; but because of the people who do not do anything about it." Albert Einstein

If you do not at least try, do not complain when things don't go your way...

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    How do you kill a snake? My grandmother always whacked their heads off with a hoe. If you are frustrated with the way MSP does things then start at the top.

The Superintendent of the State Police is appointed by the Governor. If you go out and vote for Ehrlich today you are making a move to replace Col. Sheridan.

While the Colonel does direct the actions of Maryland State Police he is still required to follow the law. If the law is written such that 'self defense' is not a good enough reason then his hands are tied. However, the Colonel might be able to direct his team to be more liberal (sorry) with the permits and providing folks with non-documented threats a permit.

So to bring up your post from earlier...

Please do not whine about our government and do nothing to change it.

Do nothing to change it? I'm a registered voter, my friend.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    On topic: how difficult is it to get a non resident VA permit?

Very, very easy. Send them an email to get them to send you the application packet. Go get fingerprinted on their cards. Fill out the app and send it all back with your $, and in less than a month you get the permit in the mail. Oh, and your "I took the online safety course to buy a regulated firearm in MD" card will fulfill their training req.

4MarDiv

Aug 18, 2010
    Fallston
    Man, I don't know what you have been reading, but if you are a legitimate business (i.e. Incorporated, LLP, LLC, etc., have the state paperwork to prove it, have an actual BUSINESS back account, can show 12 random deposit slips in the last 12 months and 12 BUSINESS purchases related to your business in the last 12 months, have minutes of your BUSINESS meetings appointing you to a position where your duties are listed as making BUSINESS deposits and withdrawals) then YOU'RE IN. They don't even look to see if the deposits are made by cash or check. They don't ask how much money you carry or deposit, etc. like they used to do.

I know of at least 5 other small business people like myself who have gotten these permits in Maryland recently. Several of them are right here on this board.

The only thing I've been reading is the boards trying to figure out why I DON'T have a CCW and others in my shoes do?? I have a ligit business with deposits and legit purchases and equipment, LLC , MHIC.. You got any suggestions why I was the 1 in a 1,000,000 who got turned down?? No record, Prior Military, father retired LEO, brother current LEO..??? WTF? Guess I won't buy any lottery tickets either!:lol2:

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    The only thing I've been reading is the boards trying to figure out why I DON'T have a CCW and others in my shoes do?? I have a ligit business with deposits and legit purchases and equipment, LLC , MHIC.. You got any suggestions why I was the 1 in a 1,000,000 who got turned down?? No record, Prior Military, father retired LEO, brother current LEO..??? WTF? Guess I won't buy any lottery tickets either!:lol2:

Did you get any reason as to why? Did you appeal?

Sev

"Vern"
    Mar 18, 2010
    formerly silver spring
    Very, very easy. Send them an email to get them to send you the application packet. Go get fingerprinted on their cards. Fill out the app and send it all back with your $, and in less than a month you get the permit in the mail. Oh, and your "I took the online safety course to buy a regulated firearm in MD" card will fulfill their training req.

VA is fairly easy to get.

VA Non Resident permit...can be done completely thru the mail.

UT you need a UT specific class.

FL and AZ both accept basic safety classes.

All 4 will mail you application packets.

We still have seats available for our 3rd anniversary special - $55 Utah permit class this weekend! This class will also fulfill the training requirement for Virginia. Visit here for details - http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=45559

Thanks for the responses! Now i guess i just HAVE to start saving up for my first pistol :D

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    I haven't even tried to apply for a permit, but I thought that the MDSP pretty much defaults to denying everybody and forcing everyone to go through the appeals process, whether they intend to give you a permit or not. Can anyone else vouch for that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom