• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    How difficult is it in Maryland to get a concealed carry permit? I've heard stories, but the State Police website makes it seem easy to get... What are your experiences?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Check the 2A section. There is a lawsuit now against MSP about their way of issuing permits.

If you haven't, please consider joining Maryland Shall Issue. http://www.marylandshallissue.org/ Membership is $10/yr and the group recently gave SAF $10,000 towards the lawsuit against MSP.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    In the 2A sections there are stories. Unless you transport large sums of cash or drugs, legally, the chances are nil. Even if you get one, it most likely will be restricted to when you take the $$ to the bank or from one store to another.

Go try. It is around $120 and the fee is not refunded if turned down.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    In the 2A sections there are stories. Unless you transport large sums of cash or drugs, legally, the chances are nil. Even if you get one, it most likely will be restricted to when you take the $$ to the bank or from one store to another.

Go try. It is around $120 and the fee is not refunded if turned down.

That's what I've heard, but that isn't stated anywhere in this application I printed. I assume this is what the lawsuit is about? (Haven't looked it up yet.)

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    That's what I've heard, but that isn't stated anywhere in this application I printed. I assume this is what the lawsuit is about? (Haven't looked it up yet.)

Read the application. If you meet those criteria, you'll be successful. If you do not, you won't get a permit.

The lawsuit and groups like MSI are working to change things so that the average citizen can carry without meeting MSP's present heinous criteria.

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Read the application. If you meet those criteria, you'll be successful. If you do not, you won't get a permit.

The lawsuit and groups like MSI are working to change things so that the average citizen can carry without meeting MSP's present heinous criteria.

This.... There's really no mystery or chance to it, but it is pretty unfair.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. Doesn't seem likely that I'd get a carry permit here in Maryland. I guess I'll just wait out this lawsuit...

4MarDiv

Aug 18, 2010
    Fallston
    I have my own business and can't get a permit. Cuz I haven't been robbed, mugged, beaten, stabbed, become a statistic .. and the $ is non refundable. Doesn't matter about carrying $ or what neighborhoods you work in... go figure. I do work in VA, WVA and DE alot so I have applied to VA for a non resident CCW. Funny, I don't pay taxes there and they'll give me one! lol!

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    I have my own business and can't get a permit. Cuz I haven't been robbed, mugged, beaten, stabbed, become a statistic .. and the $ is non refundable. Doesn't matter about carrying $ or what neighborhoods you work in... go figure. I do work in VA, WVA and DE alot so I have applied to VA for a non resident CCW. Funny, I don't pay taxes there and they'll give me one! lol!

So you can carry in VA if you're not a resident, but in MD you need to have a violent stalker or something. Great.

Maryland sucks!!!

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    So you can carry in VA if you're not a resident, but in MD you need to have a violent stalker or something. Great.

Maryland sucks!!!

MD remains up there with CA, NY, MA, and NJ as one of the last states where they don't want you to have a permit. Join MSI and SAF, they're making the best efforts ever to have that changed.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    MD remains up there with CA, NY, MA, and NJ as one of the last states where they don't want you to have a permit. Join MSI and SAF, they're making the best efforts ever to have that changed.

I actually have to say I disagree a little with your statement.

I think as far as getting a carry permit, MD may be worse than NY, MA and CA. At least in those states, you have a chance of getting approved if you do not live in the major areas. If MD had NY's system, living in Baltimore County, I would still have a chance of getting a permit, where Baltimore City folks wouldn't have a prayer. We do have the advantage where we don't need a permit to own or possess. NY requires that.

I would like a system like Michigan has, based on what i have read. If you do not want to carry, there was little change to their previous buying process. If you apply for a carry permit, you take and must pass a state course. Then the forms and personal info is sent to the state police and a background check is done. Pass that and you are issued a permit. You then qualify with each gun you want listed on the permit. Renew every five years.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I would like a system like Michigan has, based on what i have read. If you do not want to carry, there was little change to their previous buying process. If you apply for a carry permit, you take and must pass a state course. Then the forms and personal info is sent to the state police and a background check is done. Pass that and you are issued a permit. You then qualify with each gun you want listed on the permit. Renew every five years.

That's ridiculous. Why would you want to have to qualify with each gun you want to carry? Virginia requires a class for competency, an application, $50, and some time for a permit. You can carry whatever you have, no need to "put it on a list." It becomes YOUR responsibility to practice with what you have. I think we all need to start taking personal responsibility a lot more seriously.

Jim

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Jim, decaf please. Thanks. :D

I believe even Texas makes you qualify for your permit. I do not remember if you must qualify with each gun or just show range competency.

It becomes YOUR responsibility to practice with what you have.

Great idea, but in truth not often done.

As I said, a system like MI's would be great, compared to MD's current ways.

Let's get the current rules changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom