• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Joe I may have a lefty IWB holster for the Glock 17 in my boxOholsters. When I get home next week I'll check. I know you OC but it never hurts to practice.

Excellent, Perrin. I live on private property and can conceal when I take my evening walk.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    I would not carry a spare magazine - 18 should be enough. I may keep one in my car though. Personally, it scares me me to have one in the chamber relying on the safe action GLOCK trigger...I do not know why. If I could carry in MD, I would carry my PPK and hit the safety quickly after pulling it from the holster.

Except... in a sudden, high-stress scenario adrenalin is flooding your body, resulting in a well-understood reduction in your ability to think and your fine motor skills. An active shooter is swinging towards you. You draw as quick as you can, point, squeeze, and... nothing. OH CRAP! Forgot the safety! Game over.

This is why I understand the Glock system is the way it is: When you pull the trigger the gun goes bang, period.

The consequence of that is if you don't want the gun to go bang, you must not pull the trigger.
    There is nothing to idiot-proof the trigger if you pull it when you don't want the gun to go bang.

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    Except... in a sudden, high-stress scenario adrenalin is flooding your body, resulting in a well-understood reduction in your ability to think and your fine motor skills. An active shooter is swinging towards you. You draw as quick as you can, point, squeeze, and... nothing. OH CRAP! Forgot the safety! Game over.

This is why I understand the Glock system is the way it is: When you pull the trigger the gun goes bang, period.

The consequence of that is if you don't want the gun to go bang, you must not pull the trigger.
    There is nothing to idiot-proof the trigger if you pull it when you don't want the gun to go bang.

You are right. I should trust the trigger.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I would not carry a spare magazine - 18 should be enough. I may keep one in my car though. Personally, it scares me me to have one in the chamber relying on the safe action GLOCK trigger...I do not know why. If I could carry in MD, I would carry my PPK and hit the safety quickly after pulling it from the holster.

Which I have been thinking about,, what if you carried the Glock with nothing in the pipe,, drew and racked? As long as your other arm wasn't restrained,, it wouldn't seem to add much time to the draw. I have been working on as I come up,,, (I haven't strapped the Crossbreed on yet I JUST got it) But as the Glock comes up, left hand comes across the top of the slide, racks slide then comes right down to the supporting position. It seems to maybe only add fractions of a second, would seem to eliminate ND, and gives that fraction of a second to confirm "yes I really need to do this" situation.

Thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Tom

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Which I have been thinking about,, what if you carried the Glock with nothing in the pipe,, drew and racked? As long as your other arm wasn't restrained,, it wouldn't seem to add much time to the draw. I have been working on as I come up,,, (I haven't strapped the Crossbreed on yet I JUST got it) But as the Glock comes up, left hand comes across the top of the slide, racks slide then comes right down to the supporting position. It seems to maybe only add fractions of a second, would seem to eliminate ND, and gives that fraction of a second to confirm "yes I really need to do this" situation.

Thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Tom

If you are going to do this, you need to train, and train and train until you are doing it in your sleep. Some SD situations will allow you the time to do this, some won't. The time to confirm the "yes, I really need to do this" is BEFORE you draw your weapon. Once you have drawn your weapon, you have already decided that you really need to do this. If you are pulling out your gun, there is a high liklihood that you are going to need to fire it, too.

Why is there so much worry over ND with a carry gun? How much are you going to be drawing and putting it back in the holster? Are you twirling your pistol like the cowboys do when you are sitting at the drive-thru? Are you pulling your gun out 10 times a day to impress the ladies? I carry a Glock, and with the exception of the times I go to the range, it never leaves it's holster. I can put it on and take it off as a single unit. If you are aware of where the trigger is when you reholster, it is not a problem. I think the whole ND with a Glock thing is WAY overblown.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    If you are going to do this, you need to train, and train and train until you are doing it in your sleep. Some SD situations will allow you the time to do this, some won't. The time to confirm the "yes, I really need to do this" is BEFORE you draw your weapon. Once you have drawn your weapon, you have already decided that you really need to do this. If you are pulling out your gun, there is a high liklihood that you are going to need to fire it, too.

Why is there so much worry over ND with a carry gun? How much are you going to be drawing and putting it back in the holster? Are you twirling your pistol like the cowboys do when you are sitting at the drive-thru? Are you pulling your gun out 10 times a day to impress the ladies? I carry a Glock, and with the exception of the times I go to the range, it never leaves it's holster. I can put it on and take it off as a single unit. If you are aware of where the trigger is when you reholster, it is not a problem. I think the whole ND with a Glock thing is WAY overblown.

I pretty much agree with all your points,,, but because I am not allowed to exercise my 2A right yet,,, I am just wondering out loud.

I hopefully would NEVER have to draw an firearm in a bad situation,,, so I don't know how it feels, but I do know how it feels to be in a life or death fight, probably 25 years or so ago I had a guy pull a knife, his problem was he was out of reach. I had time to grab a makeshift tool, that was longer than his arm and knife. BUT,, If I was in that same situation again,, with my family,, my hope would be the site of a firearm being brought into play,, if bad guy turns and runs,, that would be the best outcome for me, Glock goes back into holster,, family goes on its way,, NOBODY bleeds or dies. I honestly CAN say I know what it is like causing a death of another human,, I had a guy commit suicide by jumping in front of my truck,, even though I was found ZERO at fault,, it doesn't change what happened. I doubt if the need arises to protect my family I would have a problem doing it,, but the fact is,,, it would suck, for everyone involved, Bad guy, me, my family. Lets say tomorrow we got our freedom back,, and the worst situation happened, and my 8 year old daughter had to witness daddy take a life, what would that do to her?

Just saying,
    Tom

Hey T,, in case I missed it somewhere,, what is you carry gun,, and holster,, if I may ask?

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    I think the whole ND with a Glock thing is WAY overblown.

I think it's the lingering aftermath of Glock's early years in the US, when there were a number of well-publicized ND's amongst LEOs, typically blown out of proportion by a media trying to keep eyeballs and keep their advertisers happy. The LEOs were used to guns that didn't always go bang when you pulled the trigger, and so were negligent about not pulling the trigger when they didn't want the guns to go bang. Now everybody knows: You pull the trigger on a Glock, it goes BANG! I don't think I've heard a cop/Glock ND story in a long, long time.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I think it's the lingering aftermath of Glock's early years in the US, when there were a number of well-publicized ND's amongst LEOs, typically blown out of proportion by a media trying to keep eyeballs and keep their advertisers happy. The LEOs were used to guns that didn't always go bang when you pulled the trigger, and so were negligent about not pulling the trigger when they didn't want the guns to go bang. Now everybody knows: You pull the trigger on a Glock, it goes BANG! I don't think I've heard a cop/Glock ND story in a long, long time.

Not that it is a Glock,, BUT

This is my favorite,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDfNV9bJoSg

Tom

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011

They happen with surprising regularity actually. People shoot themself or someone else when they're mexican carrying, with their finger on the trigger while under stress, or when reholstering with a floppy holster.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/729088/posts
    http://www.montgomerynews.com/articles/2012/07/26/north_penn_life/news/doc5011aa9defcac824289900.txt?viewmode=default
    http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-56616.html
    http://www.slve.ca/gun-market-news/victim-killed-in-accidental-shooting-was-ryan-tapper-member-of-prominent-paw-the-grand-rapids-press/
    http://www.slve.ca/gun-market-news/accidental-shot-wounds-man-next-door/
    http://www.kake.com/news/headlines/1137662.html
    http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/article1215174.ece

As for the extra mag, some people carry them to balance out the weight of the gun on the other side. I don't carry one because it seems like that's a lot of stuff to have on me, in addition to my cell phone, knife, flashlight, wallet, pens, etc. If I carried a small gun, I'd definitely have an extra mag to balance things out.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Meh.

ND's with any firearm are over rated.

If you have proper equipment and know what you are doing it's a real non issue. Although mistakes, like with anything else, can happen.

I would not want a thumb or grip safety. Nor would I want to not have a round chambered.

You may not have enough time, space, or ability to rack the slide. With quality equipment and training it's a non issue.

Beaware when you reholster your clothes arent in near the trigger and your finger is off the trigger. Then it's a non issue.

Also I'd suspect without a good bit of training you might be MORE likely to have a "ND" without carrying one chambered. My logic is if you are under stress, unholster, finger on trigger to soon, then rack the slide the gun will go BOOM before you are actually on target.

Look at how many "striker fired" guns that are out there without safeties. If it truly was a world changing item companies would stop offering no safeties on their guns. I think additional safeties/stratergies make up for poor training and lack of understanding of what makes the gun go...the trigger.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    It's not just about having that much ammo. Keep in mind that the magazine is a weak point in the autoloader design. It's good to have a spare in case of a significant malfunction, because the magazine probably caused it.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far!

Mags can malfunction. Extra mag is not just for extra bullets.

Mine goes in my pocket most times.

:thumbsup:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Congratulations on selecting Glock!!

Two things that need repeating -

A well-fitting holster is paramount. (Floppy IWB holsters MAY be a bit more comfortable, BUT, they can and do cause/lead to AD/ND!)

Keep your finger (or other objects) away from the trigger/triggerguard.
    (When I re-holster, my index finger rides along the triggerguard. Fortunately, I have lonnnnng fingers, and my finger 'guides' the pistol back to the right place, kinda/sorta like when inserting a magazine.)

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia

Thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Tom

An unloaded gun is worthless. What are you going to do when a bad guy is on top of you bashing in your face. . . tell them to wait a sec while you chamber a round?

Mags can malfunction. Extra mag is not just for extra bullets.

Mine goes in my pocket most times.

:thumbsup: This is the main reason to carry an extra mag. Although you will never hear anyone who has been in a gun fight complain about having too much ammo :)

I appendix carry a g19 in a Raven ACR. Right now my spare mag just rides in a cargo pocket or any pocket that doesnt have a bunch of other crap in it. A guy at the class I just got back from (Costa Ludus CE02) was using a Dale Fricke Archangel holster and mag pouch and I was impressed with the rig. I plan on getting one of the Archangel mag pouches, but I will likely end up with a holster as well just to give it a try. :D

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    Just a thought about carrying with one in the chamber. Remember the guy who put two in a BG who tried to carjack him at an Ohio gas station? He said that he was using his left arm to keep from being pulled out of the car while retrieving his G36 from the glove box with his right. In that situation he wouldn't have been able to rack the slide. I know every situation is different, but it's just something to think about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom