• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Picked up a nice leather Tagua Leather holster for the Glock last night so I could carry it all day today. I know a lot of you already have/had carried a Glock, but it's all new to me and I thought I would share some of my observations. Some of them might be obvious, but as I said, it's new to me.

Weight. Needless to say, the Glock is considerably lighter than my Model 27. While I never minded carrying the S&W, the Glock never seems like it's in the way and after a little while, I forgot it was there.

Capacity. With the S&W, I was carrying 6 rounds in the gun, and two speedloaders. That's 18 rounds for those who can't count. Rattlesnake- this means you. With the Glock, I have 18 rounds in the pistol. 17 in the magazine and one in the chamber. Should I choose to carry and additional magazine or two, my capacity goes way up. That said, I hope I won't ever need that many rounds.

Planned on a range trip, but it rained most of the day and the range gets really soupy after a nice rain. I'll get out sometime this weekend and give a range report. I only have the cheap Federal ammo from Walmart, but this should be okay for the range.

The pistol has not left my hip...still there, as a matter of fact. I'm thinking, though I love my S&W revolvers, the Glock is here to stay. A simple utilitarian tool. Kinda like me. :D

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    I like what hickok45 once said in one of his videos - something along the lines of a S&W 19 being back in the day what the Glock 19 is today.

Moving with the times doesn't always have to be a bad thing. ;)

Congrats! Your S&W 27 & Glock 17 combo definitely covers quite a bit.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Joe one key to a great carry rig( Gun/Holster/Belt) is comfort. Here's how I judge a carry rig.

1 the rig must be safe, cover the trigger guard and retain the firearm.
    2 the rig must be concealable on the person carrying it. ( this is skipped for open carry )
    3 the rig must be comfortable.

Practice drawing and reholstering with an unloaded gun before you carry loaded. Take great care with a Glock or other striker fired guns when reholstering. This is when most will have an accidental
    discharge. Keep the trigger guard clear!

Remember that a rig that is uncomfortable will be left at home.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Joe one key to a great carry rig( Gun/Holster/Belt) is comfort. Here's how I judge a carry rig.

1 the rig must be safe, cover the trigger guard and retain the firearm.
    2 the rig must be concealable on the person carrying it. ( this is skipped for open carry )
    3 the rig must be comfortable.

Practice drawing and reholstering with an unloaded gun before you carry loaded. Take great care with a Glock or other striker fired guns when reholstering. This is when most will have an accidental

discharge. Keep the trigger guard clear!

Remember that a rig that is uncomfortable will be left at home.

Thank you, Perrin. I appreciate the input. The holster Carolyn got for me last night is a Tagua Gunleather open top. It is VERY snug holding the pistol. I holstered and unholstered the unloaded pistol for what seemed like two hundred times :D. If the holster did not hold the gun, it was going back. It is concealable (for around the house). Trigger guard is covered. The holster is model specific, and not one that can be used for similar Glock models.

When holstering, my finger is nowhere near the trigger or trigger guard for that matter. I rest my finger on the little ledge of the ejection port and as the gun goes into the holster, my finger rides along the outside of the holster. I'm carrying righty as the only holsters available locally are righty. I can shoot righty, I'm just better lefty. Time to practice for both.

When I get to the range, I'll wear my Genesis hat to give you a free plug in the pics. :D

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    When holstering, my finger is nowhere near the trigger or trigger guard for that matter

I worry about getting a bit of shirt, pants, foreign matter, etc. in the trigger area when re-holstering. it's a noob thing*, perhaps, but your finger isn't the only thing that could potentially (however unlikely) activate a trigger mechanism. I just got my new iwb in this week, spent today adjusting, tweaking, practicing. I found myself not watching the re-holster process. Gotta correct that and watch each time, every time. then again, perhaps i'm just paranoid AND inexperienced :)

*by which, I mean my own inexperience

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I worry about getting a bit of shirt, pants, foreign matter, etc. in the trigger area when re-holstering. it's a noob thing, perhaps, but your finger isn't the only thing that could potentially (however unlikely) activate a trigger mechanism. I just got my new iwb in this week, spent today adjusting, tweaking, practicing. I found myself not watching the re-holster process. Gotta correct that and watch each time, every time. then again, perhaps i'm just paranoid AND inexperienced :)

Mine is OWB, and I generally wear a tucked shirt. Here in NC, OC is legal, so I don't worry about concealing.

I carried a revolver for a while and had gotten used to it, and now I have the Glock and it's a whole different animal....everything is new and I need to retrain myself.

Vjornaxx

Twelve
    Mar 8, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I worry about getting a bit of shirt, pants, foreign matter, etc. in the trigger area when re-holstering. it's a noob thing*, perhaps, but your finger isn't the only thing that could potentially (however unlikely) activate a trigger mechanism. I just got my new iwb in this week, spent today adjusting, tweaking, practicing. I found myself not watching the re-holster process. Gotta correct that and watch each time, every time. then again, perhaps i'm just paranoid AND inexperienced :)

*by which, I mean my own inexperience

It's not just a noob thing. Just visually verify every time you reholster. Incorporate that behavior when you practice your draw and it will become a habit. Other objects like the corner of your jacket or the drawstrings can get in there and there is no good reason to reholster in a rush... take your time to look and verify. Otherwise this could happen.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Should I choose to carry and additional magazine or two, my capacity goes way up. That said, I hope I won't ever need that many rounds.

It's not just about having that much ammo. Keep in mind that the magazine is a weak point in the autoloader design. It's good to have a spare in case of a significant malfunction, because the magazine probably caused it.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far!

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    For open carry i use and prefer holster with retention. I use blackhawk serpa but there are others.

There is retention built into the body of the holster, but I like a strap at the top. I dunno, it's just me. The pistol is not going to come out easily, it's gonna take some considerable effort.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Depends....if you can't hit shit with 18 rds but can hit all 6 with Smith.

You may be suggesting that with more rounds available some may be more inclined to spray and pray.

But if you're suggesting glocks aren't reasonably accurate that's definitely not my experience. And they dominate competitive shooting.

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    I would not carry a spare magazine - 18 should be enough. I may keep one in my car though. Personally, it scares me me to have one in the chamber relying on the safe action GLOCK trigger...I do not know why. If I could carry in MD, I would carry my PPK and hit the safety quickly after pulling it from the holster.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    You may be suggesting that with more rounds available some may be more inclined to spray and pray.

But if you're suggesting glocks aren't reasonably accurate that's definitely not my experience. And they dominate competitive shooting.

I think FPS is alluding to my shooting. I have, up until now, shown more "prowess" if you will, with a revolver than I have with a semi-auto.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I would not carry a spare magazine - 18 should be enough. I may keep one in my car though. Personally, it scares me me to have one in the chamber relying on the safe action GLOCK trigger...I do not know why. If I could carry in MD, I would carry my PPK and hit the safety quickly after pulling it from the holster.

I didn't carry a spare. Probably won't carry one on my person. I don't want to look like some of the guys I see that look like they are wearing Batman's utility belt.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Joe I may have a lefty IWB holster for the Glock 17 in my boxOholsters. When I get home next week I'll check. I know you OC but it never hurts to practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom