• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    why do you say that? Are you of the opinion that a non-Colt HBAR stamped AR should be a regulated weapon under the letter of the law? And the statute I read mentions nothing about regulated or not. Was there something in the SAFE Act that pertains to transport that trumps the previous standard?

I think his point is a grand fathered rifle is very precious. If it gets stolen out of your car it isn't like MSP is just going to let you go buy a new one. I wouldnt risk leaving something like that in my car. Frankly a "truck gun/shotgun" is all or leave. Something not worth a ton in case it gets stolen or rusted.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    actually IIRC either the lawor an MSP Advisory allows for replacements of legally owned pre 10-1-13 long guns.

IIRC that only applies to damage or warranty claim where the manufacturer replaces it, not to replace if lost or stolen.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Colt HBAR, yes.

Grandfathered regulated AR, no, unless going to the range or to the gun shop or gunsmith.

why do you say that? Are you of the opinion that a non-Colt HBAR stamped AR should be a regulated weapon under the letter of the law? And the statute I read mentions nothing about regulated or not. Was there something in the SAFE Act that pertains to transport that trumps the previous standard?

the transport statute applies to handguns, not long guns.

I apologize...my recollection was that pre-2013 regulated ARs were subject to HANDGUN transport rules, but I was mistaken. (h/t to swinokur for specifying that SBR ARs are subject to MD handgun transport rules, not any long guns).

And yes, since 10/1/2013 I am VERY careful about my transport and vehicle storage of my regulated ARs because I am operating under the rule that they CANNOT be replaced if stolen.

This is why HBARs (replaceable) are great for those who wish to have an unloaded long rifle in their vehicle for extended periods of time.

cah9583

Back yard AR mechanic ?
    Aug 3, 2016
    Preston Md
    I was told during the Utah CC class that Maryland law says the mag must be in a "separate compartment". If you keep the rifle in a case and the case has a mag pouch, that is a separate compartment that you can legally store the mag.

ETA: I have a Toyota Tacoma so no trunk but I have been thinking about keeping a pistol grip shotgun in it. Since we seem to be in the summer of love with all the BLM nonsense and cop killings.

I have a 2013 tacoma I keep an ar15 in those seat back gun holder things and a loaded mag in the glove box every cop I've talked to said it was fine

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    I apologize...my recollection was that pre-2013 regulated ARs were subject to HANDGUN transport rules, but I was mistaken. (h/t to swinokur for specifying that SBR ARs are subject to MD handgun transport rules, not any long guns).

And yes, since 10/1/2013 I am VERY careful about my transport and vehicle storage of my regulated ARs because I am operating under the rule that they CANNOT be replaced if stolen.

This is why HBARs (replaceable) are great for those who wish to have an unloaded long rifle in their vehicle for extended periods of time.

Gotcha. It's so easy to get confused or miss something with our batshit crazy laws in MD. Good point about picking up a new HBAR for this kinda plan too. A friend was talking about doing this with a new Ruger AR he could pick up for $600. I thought that was a pretty good price and was thinking about getting one for the truck, but then realized he's in PA and doesn't have to worry about HBAR :( ohh, that and I'm broke as F lol.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Do you really think the Stop Lights are that Long you have time or for that matter a stop sign...unless your boxed in...

Now if they follow you to your residence then that is a whole nother story...

Though I understand with the txting an all...individuals not driving in that sense...

I just think you going for a Weapon would just put the situation more against you than for you...but on the other hand you can never be to weary...

IMO its a tuff call...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom