Can we please modify the name of this section with more descriptive text?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I feel the same way as the last time this was brought up. There's nothing wrong with the term "weapon". The term is only icky-sounding to people that feel a weapon is inherently evil. In reality, they're morally nuetral and depend on the user. I have lots of weapons both edged and otherwise and don't feel the need to apologise for using the term. I'm a law-abiding citizen and would only use the weapon for legal purposes. My ownership of the weapons is a benefit to society because of this and not some bad thing.

Of course, we also talk about axes, multitools, sharpening systems, kitchen cutlery, and box-cutters here, which don't necessarily fall under the "weapon" category. Only for that reason and not because I feel the word "weapon" is politically incorrect do I see the point in this being named "cutlery" or something similar.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    How about "West Side Story" weapons?

nahh then everyone would go around snapping and dance-fighting. It just wouldn't work. Can you imagine paul and I trying to dance-fight with switchblades? I'd have to jump up to grab his hand and I'd just be swinging around like some lion-tamers chair. I suppose I could always just wear stilts, but it would interfere with my fly dance moves. Fishbowl platform shoes would just be in the complete wrong time period.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• chicken.jpg
      chicken.jpg
      9.6 KB · Views: 123

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Good points. I now recommend: Edged Tools and Weapons. Here's why:

Not long ago I attended the Maryland Handgun Qualification Course (MHQC), with some of you; where the lead instructor was a recognized senior NRA trainer/counselor. He made a big deal out of insisting that no one use the word 'weapon'. The point he was trying to make is that we do ourselves a disservice calling all firearms weapons, because among the sheeple, it tends to demonize all guns as evil weapons - to be banned, regulated, etc. This exacerbates the public image of the multi-purposes of firearms. I get that point, but the word 'weapon' is a real word that is a thing (noun):

weap·on
    ˈwepən/
    noun
    1. a thing designed or used for inflicting bodily harm or physical damage.
    "nuclear weapons"

So anything can be used as a weapon, such as a persons fists, a brick, a gun, or an ink pen. But until it is intentionally used to damage or inflict harm; it's just an inanimate object.

Assault on the other hand is an action. This is why most of us take issue with the word 'assault rifle' when people are referring to a non-military rifle that was not designed for combat and is usually capable of full-auto or burst fire.

as·sault
    əˈsôlt/
    verb
    1. make a physical attack on.
    "he pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer"
    synonyms: attack, hit, strike, punch, beat up, thump

Another thing that complicates this discussion is that a lot of MDShooters members are military, former military, closely related or history buffs. All these people readily identify with firearms for military purposes as weapons. We don't carry for recreational shooting and we don't keep all those firearms in arms rooms for exhibition or part of a collection; they are for killing an enemy, so they are truly assault weapons.

As smokey0118 points out, we discuss a lot more than just knives and other instruments designed to be used as weapons; in fact it is illegal in Maryland to carry a weapon (meaning with the intent to harm).

I look forward to reading more of everyones reviews and thoughts on knives, gear and gadgets!

BO150003.jpg

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I feel the same way as the last time this was brought up. There's nothing wrong with the term "weapon". The term is only icky-sounding to people that feel a weapon is inherently evil. In reality, they're morally nuetral and depend on the user. I have lots of weapons both edged and otherwise and don't feel the need to apologise for using the term. I'm a law-abiding citizen and would only use the weapon for legal purposes. My ownership of the weapons is a benefit to society because of this and not some bad thing.

Of course, we also talk about axes, multitools, sharpening systems, kitchen cutlery, and box-cutters here, which don't necessarily fall under the "weapon" category. Only for that reason and not because I feel the word "weapon" is politically incorrect do I see the point in this being named "cutlery" or something similar.

I do not have an issue with using the word "weapon" and by all means I support a description (and discussion) that suggests the perspective of edges==>weapons, but with terms on the direction in which weapons are deployed. This forum is dedicated to people having the right to ensure their safety...weapons (edged and others) play a major role.

I agree with you that a weapon is neutral but I do not think the technique of the user is...the technique we discuss here is reactionary to someone trying to do harm. The technique I train with is a response to being attacked by an aggressor...not offensive attacking. If there is one word I would describe this forum in, it is, "integrity"...our discussion goes in one direction that is the defensive direction and from a white hat perspective. Specifically saying "defensive weapon" or "martial blade craft" formalizes that our discussion on edges as weapons is in regards to self defense. I see no need to apologize for usage of the term, "weapon"...correct usage of an edged weapon can mean the difference in life/death. I've used an edged weapon as an act of self defense, I've seen its effectiveness, and I strongly support the use of knives for self-defense and I've spent a lot of my life training accordingly.

I also strongly oppose the use of knives as offensive weapons used in the commission of crimes and will only contribute to white hat knife discussion (like everyone else here). The current description specifically lists two edged weapons that are generally used offensively and in a criminal sense, and often to hurt or kill those whom uphold the law. There is a negative connotation with those terms and it can make the word, "weapon" appear in a different sense than a "weapon of self-defense".

Your ownership, carrying, and use of a weapon to society is beneficial you use defensive weapons. Further, the description should include something to do with edged tools as well as technique, given the type of edges discussed vary and I think the description could summarize this.

Perhaps I am splitting hairs and obviously this is my personal opinion, but I believe in what I am saying and I personally feel it is important enough to say...I don't mean to come off as a dick if I am and I really do appreciate others taking the time to read & respond :), plus the openness to such a post on the forum given many other forums have the general climate of nastiness to threads as such.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Let's not wussify the forum any more than we need to. I don't care what anti-self defense pussies think about our nomenclature for knives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom