Can we please modify the name of this section with more descriptive text?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Please?

While some knives are edged weapons, most are edged tools; the title makes one specific suggestion of what a knife will be used for. It does not cover things like folding knives/slipjoints/kitchen knives/multi-tools/axes/sharpening/upkeep, and it suggests that carrying a knife is carrying a weapon, which legally-speaking is meh. It also does not specify defensive edged weapons used in self-defense, versus offensive edged weapons used in the commission of crimes. Much like gun-control advocates argue guns have only one purpose, knife-control advocates use the same line of reasoning and words like, "switchblades", "dirks", "pigstickers", "weapons", etc. are in their vocabulary of giving knives the same 'evil' intent done to guns. Could you consider something along the lines of, "Edged Tools and Edged Defensive Weapons" or include something to convey both tool or weapon or specific usage (and preferably establish that the weapon is of defensive purposes)?

While I realize that, "Shivs, pigstickers, and battleaxes" was put as the description for humor, it would be similar to putting "get yo big clipz n' cop killas" in the Depot Section, "Uzi's and Tek-9's" in the Class 3 Section, or "Saturday Night Specials" in the Handgun Section in the sense that it conveys an image which may not be positive for owners and advocates. While I realize this is going all PC, given gun rights and knife rights are under attack, I honestly believe the description could be changed to better serve the community. Could something along the lines of, "folding, fixed blade, & kitchen knives; martial blade craft & defensive edged weapon technique; sharpening & maintenance", potentially better describe the purpose (and varying legal intent), please?

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    How about, "cut'er thingys"?

Seriously though, you'd have to be painting with a braod brush to say this section is about just, "weapons". No one really seems confused as to where to put topics on knives, so I think the name is fine.

While not trying to speak for the mods or admin, we tend to like generic forums so a wide array of topics can fit within them ;)

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Cutlery would be more fitting.

Agreed.

I've read posts here (including ones from those I believe are moderators) on how correct terminology is important as well as how it separates an informational forum from media perception. I feel the same applies to knives. "Shivs" and "pigstickers" are terms used by criminals and are weapons generally used in an offensive manner (often to kill law enforcement officers, at that). To me, that is not positive at all and it says all of the wrong things about knives that need not be said or implied.

The old 'pigstick'n switchblade' image that was created in the late 1950s and led to the "Switchblade Act" is still used by the libs in regards to scaring people to believe that anything other than a plastic butter knife is not a tool, has no utility purpose, is only owned by people who commit crimes, has zero redeeming value, and its only function is as a murder weapon...consequently, no one needs a pocket knife because they are going to use that murder weapon to kill some innocent person. So ban it for the children as no one needs a knife over 2 inches or a knife that can be opened with one hand (quicker opening means quicker murder!)...if we ban the knives, knife crimes will stop. We now have a large group of people who freak out over small pocket knives because the media and government has done the same thing to knives that they have to guns.

This is the exact same way firearm ownership rights are attacked and slowly eroded. The, "who needs a pigsticker switchblade?" argument was the 1950s version of the, "who needs an assault weapon?" argument of today. England took that route and now you cannot even own a knife that locks open or is anything over a few inches. I would prefer to contribute to the body of knowledge that shows knives serve multiple purposes, are not dangerous, are used in defensive situations in which force is reactive and justified, and due to numerous redeeming values, they should be legal to own and carry. I believe incorporating such purposes and different types of edged tools into the name of the sub-forum and description would more accurately describe the forum and in a more positive light.

I may be completely wrong and out of line noting on this given it isn't my forum, I have no pull on how things are done, I really have little-to-no right in making this sort of speculation, and I am only one person...but I feel as someone who is a huge knife guy and is very involved within the movement that fights knife control that a more accurate name and description is potentially better for the community in that it promotes a more positive image and establishes that the sub-forum is for discussion beyond martial blade craft/cutting people. I've learned many new things on this forum from many members and the forum has given a lot to me...I am hoping this suggestion could potentially help give back.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If the name changes, then keep it simple => Blades

Cutlery is synonymous with "utensils used as tableware", including spoons and forks. Most people associate cutlery with the secondary definition: "implements for eating food".

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I agree, the OP has a point.

Lets not mince words, and cut right to it...

How about "All things Cutlery"

With description: Edged tools, knives, swords, axes, hatchets, and assorted sharp or pointed objects.

Any way you slice it, the OP's point is well taken, and I agree it would serve us all better if it were switched. :)

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Related: Should impact tools be part of this sub-forum or should they have their own? If so, perhaps that might change naming ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom