• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    On a side note, does anyone have any experience getting the "Firearms Saftey committee" listed in 57-5(C)1 approval for a range on private land for private use only?

I’m in the rural area that runs between the power lines and the river. So I can shoot and have never had a problem but there is this idiot that brought our area a whole lot of negative attention so my neighbor and I both set up approved ranges with the county. They are mostly volunteers and are really good people. They’ll check your range every two years.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Seriously. What can a hoa do about it? Especially if you have 20 acreas. Their regs are not laws.
    See the post I responded to. Some HOA covenants and bylaws catch unwary homeowners by surprise about a lot of things, some of which wind up being challenged or enforced in court. in court. Best to read the docs and go into an HOA community with eyes open.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Sorry to dissapoint everyone but it is illegal to discharge a firearm on your own property.
    Where did you gather that PDF? Obscure code references from various jurisdictions, without stating which jurisdiction they come from, and the beginning of it is an Op Ed and not law. They said you could only shoot in forests. Like no one hunts in farm fields.

You cannot discharge a gun in Hagerstown, but the rest of the county you can. The Maryland code addresses this for hunting/shooting and it is 150 yards from an dwelling "without permission"

• Safety Zones: It is illegal to hunt, shoot or trap wildlife within 150 yards of any building or camp occupied by human beings without permission of the owner or occupant. For archery hunters this distance is 100 yards in Anne Arundel County and 50 yards in Allegany, Calvert, Carroll, Cecil, Frederick, Garrett, Harford, Montgomery, St. Mary’s, and Washington counties. In Harford, archers must use a tree stand when hunting between 50 and 100 yards of any building or camp occupied by human beings. In Montgomery and Washington counties, archers must be in an elevated position when hunting between 50 and 100 yards of any building or camp occupied by human beings.
      • A person may not shoot at any wild bird or mammal while it is within the safety zone.
    • It is unlawful to discharge a firearm within 300 yards of a public or nonpublic school while hunting. This prohibition only applies during school hours or when the building is occupied. This safety zone does not apply to colleges, universities or home schools.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I live on MoCO and as long as you are in the little slivers of land considered "outside of urban areas", you can discharge certain weapons in certain scenarios.

Sec. 57-5. Discharge of guns outside the urban area.
    (a) Prohibition. Except as provided in subsection (c)(1) through (c)(6), outside the urban area, a person, other than a peace officer or
    employee of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources performing official duties, must not:
    (1) discharge a gun:
    (A) onto, across, or within 50 yards of a public road;
    (B) onto or across property located within 50 yards of a public road;
    (C) into or within the safety zone (150 yards of a building or camp designed for human occupancy) without the owner or
    occupant's written consent; or
    (C) from, onto, or across public or private property without the owner or occupant's written consent;
    (2) discharge a full metal jacketed bullet of any caliber from a gun; or
    (3) except as provided in subsection (b), discharge any fixed ammunition of a caliber higher than .25 caliber from a rifle or pistol.
    (b) Exception - High Caliber Ammunition. A person may discharge fixed ammunition of a caliber higher than .25 from a rifle or
    pistol at:
    (A) legal game or varmints on the ground; or
    (B) a target on or near the ground that will not deflect a bullet.
    (c) Other Exceptions. Except as provided in Sections 57-7 and 57-11, a person may discharge a gun:
    (1) on any indoor or outdoor target, trap, skeet, or shooting range that the Firearm Safety Committee has inspected and approved in
    writing;
    (2) in a private basement or cellar target range;
    (3) when necessary to protect life or property;
    (4) to kill a dangerous animal;

On a side note, does anyone have any experience getting the "Firearms Saftey committee" listed in 57-5(C)1 approval for a range on private land for private use only?
    "...to protect life or property..." PROPERTY!?!? That's unexpected for MD.

Variably1913

May 24, 2022
    Baltimore
    @DWN
    You claim to be an FFL, but you are getting your incorrect interpretation of 'MD law' on firearms from random internet pages instead of going to the source.

You need to base your decisions on federal, state, local, and city ordinances directly, not on random web pages that offer their incorrect interpretations of those ordinances. Otherwise you run a considerable risk of getting yourself and your clients on the wrong side of the law.

He didn't claim to be a good one!

mpkills

Feb 12, 2019
    I shoot almost eveyr day where I live in Allegany County. Where does it say in Md COMAR that I can't if not close proximity to a building or persons?

tfilemyr

Apr 16, 2010
    Hyattsville, MD
    Regarding HOA's, I have heard of some communities that "fine" you because of infractions in the HOA. These fines are largely symbolic and often contrary residents will simply refuse pay them. However, when it comes time to sell the house or property the HOA can legally put a lien on the property and block the sale until the fine is paid. I imagine that in the People's Republic there are a lot of HOA's that specifically address "missile launchers" and the like.

safegunners

Aug 21, 2016
    Smithsburg MD
    If you live in the county then Washington the county code is what you want to look at. If you are in a town then most likely they have an ordinance against it.

102. Discharging firearm near dwelling.
    Any person who shoots, fires, or discharges any gun, rifle, pistol or other firearm in such proximity to a house, residence, or other building or camp occupied or frequented by human beings or in such proximity to farm animals and livestock as to endanger the person or property of another, without the express permission of the owner, occupant, or lessee, is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be sentenced to pay a fine not to exceed $25 and costs of presentation. (1957 Code, sec. 720; 1957, ch. 169; 1970 ed. sec. 37-2; 1984, ch. 289; 1984 ed. sec. 10-102; 1991, ch. 211)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If you live in the county then Washington the county code is what you want to look at. If you are in a town then most likely they have an ordinance against it.

102. Discharging firearm near dwelling.
    Any person who shoots, fires, or discharges any gun, rifle, pistol or other firearm in such proximity to a house, residence, or other building or camp occupied or frequented by human beings or in such proximity to farm animals and livestock as to endanger the person or property of another, without the express permission of the owner, occupant, or lessee, is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be sentenced to pay a fine not to exceed $25 and costs of presentation. (1957 Code, sec. 720; 1957, ch. 169; 1970 ed. sec. 37-2; 1984, ch. 289; 1984 ed. sec. 10-102; 1991, ch. 211)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man, they really throw the book at you.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I high doubt the county deputies are coming to visit you unless you get stupid. I heard a couple deputies talking 10 years back about all the calls they got on the opening day of deer rifle. All the new resident from Montgomery where shocked, and scared, people were firing weapons. They said the 911 call center people we just saying "You know it is deer season ... right?"

To be honest some of these guys are using 7mm Magnum and 300 WSM. I mean, I hate sitting next to people that shoot those. They scare me too, that the concussion will affect my hearing if I pop off my head gear. . :D

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    I live on MoCO and as long as you are in the little slivers of land considered "outside of urban areas", you can discharge certain weapons in certain scenarios.

Sec. 57-5. Discharge of guns outside the urban area.
    (a) Prohibition. Except as provided in subsection (c)(1) through (c)(6), outside the urban area, a person, other than a peace officer or
    employee of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources performing official duties, must not:
    (1) discharge a gun:
    (A) onto, across, or within 50 yards of a public road;
    (B) onto or across property located within 50 yards of a public road;
    (C) into or within the safety zone (150 yards of a building or camp designed for human occupancy) without the owner or
    occupant's written consent; or
    (C) from, onto, or across public or private property without the owner or occupant's written consent;
    (2) discharge a full metal jacketed bullet of any caliber from a gun; or
    (3) except as provided in subsection (b), discharge any fixed ammunition of a caliber higher than .25 caliber from a rifle or pistol.
    (b) Exception - High Caliber Ammunition. A person may discharge fixed ammunition of a caliber higher than .25 from a rifle or
    pistol at:
    (A) legal game or varmints on the ground; or
    (B) a target on or near the ground that will not deflect a bullet.
    (c) Other Exceptions. Except as provided in Sections 57-7 and 57-11, a person may discharge a gun:
    (1) on any indoor or outdoor target, trap, skeet, or shooting range that the Firearm Safety Committee has inspected and approved in
    writing;
    (2) in a private basement or cellar target range;
    (3) when necessary to protect life or property;
    (4) to kill a dangerous animal;

WOW , reading all of that makes my head hurt !

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    See the post I responded to. Some HOA covenants and bylaws catch unwary homeowners by surprise about a lot of things, some of which wind up being challenged or enforced in court. in court. Best to read the docs and go into an HOA community with eyes open.
    best to not go into a hoa at all !

PlumberEd

MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2020
    Taneytown
    Agreed, it is definitely best not to have to deal with hoa restrictions. I moved to Frederick County 14 years ago and shoot on my property several times a week. For what it is worth I have yet to a complaint from a neighbor or a visit from the police.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I know for a fact that the PDF is a fraud,,,
    Just read this line from said PDF

"The easiest place to discharge a firearm in a way that is safe and secure is at a gun range.
    They are located throughout each county
    . "

So where are these mythical gun ranges throughout Calvert County???

Then there is this:
    "In a tight environment in the city or somewhere similar,"

I will need a lawyer to decipher these legal terms!

And remember, when transporting your firearm,, it has to be "As far back in the vehicle as possible"

I typically tie mine to the rear bumper,, as to adhere to the letter of the law.

The the poster of the PDF a FFL ??

I just want to know if the OP is finally enjoying getting in some quality shooting time on his land. Washington County is not remotely like where he relocated from in MoCo. Suspect he was one of those ask a question, get some answers, and I'm out members, sadly.
    I did a few times, after reading your responses I felt reassured. I too saw the fishy pdf that DWN posted, but I didn't trust it because of the language used. I don't have a HoA, and I am nowhere near the town, so I went ahead and opened fire. My neighbors heard the shots and called the cops, but the officers came and told me I'm not doing anything wrong, keep doing it. So I got some friends to come over and make it loud. Again they called the cops, and again the officers came and told me to "keep doing what you're doing". No incidents since then.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I did a few times, after reading your responses I felt reassured. I too saw the fishy pdf that DWN posted, but I didn't trust it because of the language used. I don't have a HoA, and I am nowhere near the town, so I went ahead and opened fire. My neighbors heard the shots and called the cops, but the officers came and told me I'm not doing anything wrong, keep doing it. So I got some friends to come over and make it loud. Again they called the cops, and again the officers came and told me to "keep doing what you're doing". No incidents since then.
    :thumbsup: Sounds like you may have some neighbors that also relocated from MoCo, but somehow forgot that they were no longer there. Welcome to the freer part of the "free state".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom