Can I sell this handgun in Virginia and don't violate Maryland gun law?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    There are so many options and I know the OP has had difficulty doing a consignment before.

One option that I have done is, sell the gun in MD (consignment in my case), take mags to an out of state gun show and ask the mag vendors if they are interested in a trade or cash. You won’t get top dollar but I was able to get mags I needed for the mags plus a little case for the ones I didn’t need anymore. It was worth the hit over jumping through other hoops and stay legal. But I’m lazy.

It may take a few tries but it worked out for me.

Something like a factory 915 mag, which I don’t think is made anymore, you could find somebody that wants it to resell. Mec-gar still makes them but if it’s factory, it will be a little premium.

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Are almost all gun shops FFL dealers ? Will I have to check the FFL list when I sale the gun to him ? Is it a good idea if I require him to give me the FFL #?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Are almost all gun shops FFL dealers ? Will I have to check the FFL list when I sale the gun to him ? Is it a good idea if I require him to give me the FFL #?
    All gun stores are required to be FFLs, but not all FFLs are gun stores. Call ahead and ask if they do transfers or accept guns from private individuals. Some FFLs do not do transfers for the public.

FFLs are required to display a copy of their license when conducting business. Take a picture of it or ask for a receipt if you want, but there is no requirement for you to maintain any records.

You can verify dealer/manufacturer/importer FFLs pretty quickly with ATF.

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    All gun stores are required to be FFLs, but not all FFLs are gun stores. Call ahead and ask if they do transfers or accept guns from private individuals. Some FFLs do not do transfers for the public.

FFLs are required to display a copy of their license when conducting business. Take a picture of it or ask for a receipt if you want, but there is no requirement for you to maintain any records.

You can verify dealer/manufacturer/importer FFLs pretty quickly with ATF.
    Ken792,
    I will check the web above and ask for a receipt , I keep all receipts and pictures when I sold and bought. Thanks.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I don’t see why not. If an MDer can drive out of state and unblock a mag seems they could block one in state. I can’t tell you how many people buy mag less pistols because the seller wouldn’t ship them to MD to be blocked by an ffl. So I think the OP has more options than he thinks.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , the M915 may be sold directly to a Virginia ( or most states ) FFL , to become part of store inventory .

Yes , the M915 can be ultimately sold to Virginia resident , being transferred through a Virginia FFL .

* Most * FFL will accept a firearm from a private person In Person , At Their Store .

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    It’s correct that they cannot even place an ad in MD, but it’s because the law also specifies “offer for sale.”

This provision is sometimes not noticed/realized by folks selling magazines via the internet. It can jam them up, even if their intent was to only sell the magazines to out of state parties.

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I brought the S & W 915 to a maryland gun dealer to ask the price if I sale it to him, he just gave me a price which is lower , but didn't refuse the 15 rounds magazine, but he said if I want him to ship this gun to other states, he only can ship the gun without the magazine, I don't understand why the dealer can't ship but still can buy , but if finally I sold the gun to him, will I have no the obligation because it was done by the dealer?

Last edited:

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    If I want him to ship this gun to other states, he only can ship the gun without the magazine, I don't understand why the dealer can't ship but still can buy ,
    I would guess this is because he is peforming the 'act of selling' in MD.

There are dealers in MD who will block mags prior to sale. Usually there is a minimal fee (~$10).

Find one of those dealers who also does consignment, or will buy the gun outright from you. They can then block the mag and sell it, with the seller paying the 'blocking' fee if they want the mag.

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I would guess this is because he is peforming the 'act of selling' in MD.

There are dealers in MD who will block mags prior to sale. Usually there is a minimal fee (~$10).

Find one of those dealers who also does consignment, or will buy the gun outright from you. They can then block the mag and sell it, with the seller paying the 'blocking' fee if they want the mag.
    what is "blocking " a magazine in Maryland ? can the magazine still be used ?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don’t see why not. If an MDer can drive out of state and unblock a mag seems they could block one in state. I can’t tell you how many people buy mag less pistols because the seller wouldn’t ship them to MD to be blocked by an ffl. So I think the OP has more options than he thinks.
    Thanks R. :)

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    'something' is put in the magazine so only 10 rounds can be loaded

Supposed to be a permanent thing (I think), but is not always the case

Yes, the can be used in Maryland

A 500 round drum can be used in Maryland, just not bought or sold here
    Thanks. the magazine I am using now only can be loaded 10 rounds not 15 rounds, it maybe already is blocked.

Last edited:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Thanks. the magazine I am using now only can be loaded 10 rounds not 15 rounds, it maybe already is blocked.
    Maybe I can help. Our shop is located in King George, VA. We moved out of MD to VA in 2019, we are very familiar with the Maryland Laws.

You have a few options to sell your gun.
    1. List the gun here and make it clear that the magazines are not available for sale in MD. If the gun is sold to a MD resident ask them if they have a friend out of state that would want the mags. Have the buyer pay the shipping to the friend out of state.

2. Bring the gun down to our shop and sell it on consignment. We take 20% on most consignments. (We make exceptions for some customers. Some get charged more, lol).

As a point of law, ( I am not a Lawyer) as I understand it there is no reason a Maryland FFL would not be able to ship magazines over 10 rounds out of the state if they sold the gun outside Maryland. I know many Maryland based FFL's and was one for several years. If anyone disagrees please post a link showing just one prosecution and conviction for doing so.

As for blocking the magazine, I know many Maryland based FFL's that block the mags or disassemble them into parts kits. Buyers are instructed that the blocks may not be removed in Maryland. They are also instructed that the parts are for repair only and not to be constructed into complete magazines in Maryland.

If you go by the letter of the law you will find there are legal means to own, use and enjoy standard capacity magazines even in Maryland. Try not to overcomplicate the issue.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    These threads always make me shake my head in disbelief. How can people SO overcomplicate such a simple thing???

In this case, if the guy is a VA resident, just bring your pistol with magazine and meet the buyer at an FFL in VA and that FFL will walk you right through what you need to do (which is minimal and SIMPLE).

If he's a MD resident, it's equally minimal and simple. Meet the buyer at a MD FFL and do as above but DO NOT give him the magazine. Meet him across state lines and give the magazine to him. OR block the magazine so it can only hold 10 or fewer rounds and transfer the magazine with the pistol.

Period......end of story.

Just a few days ago, I brought home a stack of 25 round magazines I bought and took possession of in another state. If I had NOT educated myself about how to legally do that and just asked how to do it on here, I'd walk away thinking it was easier to obtain nuke launch codes!

Now, I all but GUARANTEE you someone will come along and either tell me I'm wrong or muddy the waters. However, I've been at this game since the 80's and I've yet to run afoul of the "law". The secret is to educate yourself and keep that self-education up to date.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom