Can I sell this handgun in Virginia and don't violate Maryland gun law?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I am going to sell a S & W 915 pistol which with a 15 rounds magazien, but I just found that I can' sell it within Maryland , but I used online search and saw " possession of magazines ( I think include the gun) greater than 10 rounds is legal if purchased out of state. These may not, however, be transferred to a subsequent owner unless done so outside the state of Maryland." so I want to make sure that if I can sell this gun in Virginia and don't violate Maryland gun law,

Last edited:

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    I believe you are supposed to go through an FFL when you and the buyer do not live in the same state. And in MD's case all handguns have to go through FFL

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I believe you are supposed to go through an FFL when you and the buyer do not live in the same state. And in MD's case all handguns have to go through FFL
    MD also allows handguns to go through MSP for private party intrastate. That’s cheaper than an FFL, though may be less convenient.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    How many times are we going to rehash this question? Transfer to an out of state buyer is entirely legal if permitted in the buyers state. And also write, 100 times, “must go thru FFL” so you don’t forget!

Last edited:

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I will be summarily corrected if wrong, but you can not place an ad for a "large" capacity magazine in Maryland, because you can not buy, sell, trade, or give away any magazine over 10 rounds in Maryland.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I am going to sell a S & W 915 pistol which with a 15 rounds magazien, but I just found that I can' sell it within Maryland , but I used online search and saw " possession of magazines ( I think include the gun) greater than 10 rounds is legal if purchased out of state. These may not, however, be transferred to a subsequent owner unless done so outside the state of Maryland." so I want to make sure that if I can sell this gun in Virginia and don't violate Maryland gun law,
    I presume you are, but want to verify. Are you selling to a Virginia resident or just asking about going to VA to do a sale due to it being legal to sell a firearm there with >10 round mags? As others have said, FFL=Legal ( see ken792 post below)
    Yes, through an FFL in VA.

I did just that last week to get a handgun with >10rd mags from an MD seller.

MD also allows handguns to go through MSP for private party intrastate. That’s cheaper than an FFL, though may be less convenient.

Also, as ken792 said, maybe MSP or VA SP can do the transfer.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I will be summarily corrected if wrong, but you can not place an ad for a "large" capacity magazine in Maryland, because you can not buy, sell, trade, or give away any magazine over 10 rounds in Maryland.
    Maybe the OP ( seller) does not need to place an ad for the firearm in question. Maybe he knows the buyer due to friendship, relative of his, friend of a friend, referral, etc.

I once sold a .30-.30 like this before. I am pretty sure that if the OP wants to sell this SW 915 to someone in Va, the FFL can make all the legal details happen and it will all be legal. I can think of a number of work arounds that are completely legal, right up to consigning it to the Va FFL, and then the FFL doing the sale to the new owner. But I am sure the FFL has a simpler way.

I have purchased several items at auctions in PA, then they ship it to Brad Vosberg ( my Md, FFL at Brownstone Trading Co) and then I go do the paperwork and pay his fee and then I can take it home.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Is it legal for a gun owner to block/pin a >10 mag and then sell it in Merryland?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    It’s correct that they cannot even place an ad in MD, but it’s because the law also specifies “offer for sale.”

efeng9622

Oct 10, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Now let me correct my question ,

I already closed my ad in classified, but I found this forum still have somewhere for " the Neighborhood state" so I don't know if I still can reopen this id for them to see.
    I was a Virginia resident for many years , now I think I only has two ways can go ,
    a) Directly sale it to a VA FFL,
    b) finding a neighborhood state resident ( I prefer VA), if the distance is not too far, I will meet buyer first then go to FFL to do transfer, can I bring the gun to VA FFL by myself in stead of shipping? i think " handgun has to go through FFL" mean transfer ownership , not mean I can't bring to a FFL by myself , right?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Now let me correct my question ,

I already closed my ad in classified, but I found this forum still have somewhere for " the Neighborhood state" so I don't know if I still can reopen this id for them to see.
    I was a Virginia resident for many years , now I think I only has two ways can go ,
    a) Directly sale it to a VA FFL,
    b) finding a neighborhood state resident ( I prefer VA), if the distance is not too far, I will meet buyer first then go to FFL to do transfer, can I bring the gun to VA FFL by myself in stead of shipping? i think " handgun has to go through FFL" mean transfer ownership , not mean I can't bring to a FFL by myself , right?
    You can bring it in person to a VA FFL

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Maryland is great, but the dangerous, woke political idealism brings us all disdain.
    Bikebreath,

Maryland the State has many great features. If only we could remove the awful side of the coin, it would then be greater for the most part.

And by awful, I mean the Taxes, politics, crime, and coercion to be controlled. ( woke political idealism.)

Totally agree with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom