• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Was practicing mag reloads, after the 100th or so, my hand gave out and the thing went flying like a frisbee. Hit the corner of a metal shelf.

Can I repair this so it doesn't rust or am I looking at a refinish job? I was thinking maybe some Birchwood Casey Superblue would stop the impending rust.

Attachments

• Oops.jpg
      Oops.jpg
      33.4 KB · Views: 645

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    i've used Super blue with good success. :thumbsup:

I was watching some videos about it. Do I have to sand the area then apply it?
    I would think that will make it look much worse. However, I'm more worried about rust. Does it wear off and you have to keep reapplying it? The spot is right where my finger sits off trigger.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    I would think that will make it look much worse. However, I'm more worried about rust. Does it wear off and you have to keep reapplying it? The spot is right where my finger sits off trigger.

No yiu don't have to sand if you don't want to. Clean the area with acetone and let dry before applying super blue.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012

No need to sand before using the bluing, as long as it hasn't rusted yet. Might want to degrease it first. Bluing probably won't wear off. You can coat it with a little paste wax (not polish) if it bothers you. That's what I do to my high-polish blued guns. So far, so good.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Thanks everyone. Cerakote air dry paint is really expensive and difficult to find. So I'll have to see how the bluing goes first.

Worst comes to worst I'll head to Engage and get a cool Cerakote paint job done. I hear they are pretty good at Cerakote jobs.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Two questions:

1) Aluminum or steel frame?

2) What's the original finish? If it's not blued then the blue won't match exactly (and, bluing is not a great rust preventer anyway). If you want to go super-cheap even permanent marker can work just to cover.

Personally I'd gently flatten out the high spots and just shoot it. The spots on my handguns that rust are the ones that get handled a lot, particularly the rear slide and sight area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom