Can I Buy an "Assault Weapon" Out Of State?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Here's another question. Can I buy an HBAR out of state? They are legal in maryland obviously.

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    Ok, without hijacking this thread, here is another question. What if a friend from out of state gave a an AK-47 to a MD resident. And the MD resident takes possesion of said AK. What has to be done then?

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Sounds good, maybe we will run into the "Sniper" again :lol2:

Hopefully no ones looses a knee cap - or a foot if he is there again!

Ive been trying to score a Mr Goodwrench Stand that they have at one of the GM dealers I deal with. They discontinued Mr Goodwrench at GM, so they probably need to get rid of it - and I hate the way that thing stares at me.

He will need to be dealt with accordingly if I get it!

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Here's another question. Can I buy an HBAR out of state? They are legal in maryland obviously.

Yes you can buy it there from a dealer, but the better question is where do I find a dealer that would sell me one knowing I'm a Maryland resident. I know there are dealers that will do it, but there are those that will not.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Ok, without hijacking this thread, here is another question. What if a friend from out of state gave a an AK-47 to a MD resident. And the MD resident takes possesion of said AK. What has to be done then?
    Your friend needs to bring said AK to a Maryland dealer for a transfer and 7 day hold for you.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Hopefully no ones looses a knee cap - or a foot if he is there again!

Ive been trying to score a Mr Goodwrench Stand that they have at one of the GM dealers I deal with. They discontinued Mr Goodwrench at GM, so they probably need to get rid of it - and I hate the way that thing stares at me.

He will need to be dealt with accordingly if I get it!
    Hopefully you can get it, I need a good laugh.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly

If the original owner in pa is selling it to you or "gifting" it to you so that he is no longer the owner and the new owner is a MD resident it must go through an ffl. That is a federal law since it is interstate commerce. Then wait 7 days for the state paperwork to come back.

If the pa owner is letting a friend in Maryland borrow it then it is fine but I would make up a notarized agreement or something to show that the borrower is only borrowing it and that it is still in the possession of the pa resident if you want to CYA.

DaedalEVE

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 31, 2008
    The Dictatorship of Maryland
    What about the 50 round mag that comes with it ? Can that be shipped to a person out of state, and the gun shipped with no mag then, and still be legal ?
    You can't sell, manufacture, receive, transfer, yada yada anything over 20rd's in Maryland... so shipping is out. You CAN however go out of state to do all that, bring home pretty much any capacity mag in your possession, and own/use them. Just remember, it's your property, do not lend or borrow, and if you ever get rid of it go out of state to do so (unless you are outright destroying it).

Are you getting Class 3? "Assault Weapons" are selective fire!!! Who are you intendining to use them on? Weapon implies intent so who are you intending to "assault" with your "weapon". Those terms have no business on a site dedicated to the lawfull use and possesion of firearms!!!
    MD law doesn't define a firearm as a "Weapon" anyway. Also "Assault Weapons" are not necessarily select fire, "Assault Rifles" are.

"Assault Weapon" is a legal term used to describe specific makes and models of firearms, their copies, or those which posses certain cosmetic or functional features, and can include rifles, handguns, and shotguns... and is most commonly used to refer to semi-auto firearms.

There is also no such thing as a Class 3 firearm, There are Class 3 FFL Dealers who conduct business involving the sale and transfer of Title II (NFA) items however.

"Assault" = Threat of Violence
    "Battery" = Actual Violence

Its not selective fire or class 3- only semi auto, but has 2 cap mags (drum & stick). The gun I'm looking at was in the MD regulated 5 101 Assault weapons list. Its not an SBR either has 16" barrel.

I can buy a Maryland compliant version that comes with 10 rounds drum - but F--- that I want the 50.
    All AR15's except H-BAR rifles are considered to be "Assault Weapons", and are restricted firearms in Maryland.
    Luckily the "Assault Weapons" list is enumerated and can not be altered, so only the firearms on the list, or those which are direct copies or functional derivatives may be considered "restricted". This is why things like the PS90 or ACR are not considered restricted firearms in MD (they are not on the list, they are not copies of other firearms on the list, and their internal function is different from other firearms on the list).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom