• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I didn't read the article. So I'm not going to discuss this incident.

When I went through hunters safety, the way I recall the history explained to me was... Long ago, hunters got together and decided they needed some rules, so all the game animals wouldn't be killed. In their effort to protect wildlife from extinction, they established game limits, sporting rules, and later identified and authorized one of the most respected hunters as a 'game warden' to mind after the rules they set up. Fast forward several generations, now you have a 'police force', and some of them don't even hunt. What started as a good idea, got really screwed up.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

When I went through hunters safety, the way I recall the history explained to me was... Long ago, hunters got together and decided they needed some rules, so all the game animals wouldn't be killed. In their effort to protect wildlife from extinction, they established game limits, sporting rules, and later identified and authorized one of the most respected hunters as a 'game warden' to mind after the rules they set up. Fast forward several generations, now you have a 'police force', and some of them don't even hunt. What started as a good idea, got really screwed up.
    Umm.. Hunting in cemetery and in the city really?

Is this the hidden hunting rights hidden in 2a? ;)

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    DNR is a part of MSP. So, yes they can. Any and all of those hunting tool were probably used to poach.

DNR is part of MSP? News to me and probably to DNR and MSP.

DNR is a state funded agency just like MdTA and MTA police however they certainly aren't a part of MSP.

This guy had 44 charges and while you are certainly innocent to proven guilty he admitted to his crimes.

He was poaching (see not HUNTING) in Druid Hill Park and a freaking cemetery for crying out loud.

Illegal hunting in many states leads to the seizure of any animals, firearms/bows, and even vehicles.

As a condition of his guilty plea the state likely required him to forfeit the firearm and bow.

This wasn't a guy who made a dumb decision to take a pot shot at a deer at 1130 PM one day. This guy made a hobby of illegally taking animals. His punishment IMHO was too light....but we've come to accept that in MD.

I work at the zoo and there are lots of TROPHY bucks in Druid Hill Park. Lots of people want to hunt there, but know they can't.

This guy was just outside the gate- by the elephants. It was during the rut and I was ~10' away when I took the picture.

Attachments

• 20151106_161405 (1).jpg
      20151106_161405 (1).jpg
      97.4 KB · Views: 576

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    DNR is part of MSP? News to me and probably to DNR and MSP.

DNR is a state funded agency just like MdTA and MTA police however they certainly aren't a part of MSP.

This guy had 44 charges and while you are certainly innocent to proven guilty he admitted to his crimes.

He was poaching (see not HUNTING) in Druid Hill Park and a freaking cemetery for crying out loud.

Illegal hunting in many states leads to the seizure of any animals, firearms/bows, and even vehicles.

As a condition of his guilty plea the state likely required him to forfeit the firearm and bow.

This wasn't a guy who made a dumb decision to take a pot shot at a deer at 1130 PM one day. This guy made a hobby of illegally taking animals. His punishment IMHO was too light....but we've come to accept that in MD.

I'm stunned the state offered that plea bargain, its a sweet deal for what he was doing. Its common for MD DNR to confiscate all gear used in illegal hunting ... not suprised that the average suburb/exurb dweller doesn't know this ... out in hunting country just about everyone knows from a young age.

I'm guessing there are a lot of people with no idea that DNR is completely separate from MSP

iCoder80

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 31, 2015
    I'm stunned the state offered that plea bargain, its a sweet deal for what he was doing.

I'm guessing there are a lot of people with no idea that DNR is completely separate from MSP

That is my thought as well. This guy got off way too easy.

I understand DNR is separate but I also thought the DNR officers have the same police powers as the MSP. I also thought they also attended the MSP academy as part of their training.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    The article really makes me wonder just how much hunting he was doing to be investigated for over a year before charges were brought up.

Personally I'd much rather find out deer were taken illegally in urban areas than have one crash through my windshield. Especially if it's in a no hunting area where they will become a nuisance at best.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    That is my thought as well. This guy got off way too easy.

I understand DNR is separate but I also thought the DNR officers have the same police powers as the MSP. I also thought they also attended the MSP academy as part of their training.

I do not think they attend MSP's academy. They have their own. They have far more "specialty" training in regards to hunting, boating, and fishing laws then you are going to get at MSP's academy.

They do have state wide jurisdiction and the ability to enforce criminal and traffic laws.

They primarily stick to state owned land however.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The guy's lucky they didn't take his truck as well. Blatant violations - i.e. poaching - should not be tolerated. Not sure how he got off so easy.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

You should have read the article, what you stated above has absolutely nothing to do with the incident you don't want to discuss.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Natural Resources Police have more power then any other LE agency in the State. They can come on to your land without a warrant if investigating violations of State law governing natural resources and they can seize anything used in that violation. Trucks, cars, boats, traps, guns, bows and anything else used. Chris

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    I do not think they attend MSP's academy. They have their own. They have far more "specialty" training in regards to hunting, boating, and fishing laws then you are going to get at MSP's academy.
    They do have state wide jurisdiction and the ability to enforce criminal and traffic laws.

I want to say they do attend the same academy. I took the test at Sykesville about five years ago and they advised us it was a 6 month live-in academy in Sykesville. But I can't recall for sure.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    he got off way too easy.
    He should have lost his 2a rights and hunting privileges for life, and had to pay restitution to the people of MD for stealing a resource after a very long period of incarceration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom