Can a 40 Cal round be shot in a 10 mm pistol safely? ( Mods relocate to better area if necessary)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Revolvers use moon clips, so you're turning them into a rimmed cartridge, like using .45 ACP in a revolver chambered for .45 colt or .45 ACP.
    Bullfrog, Thanks.

Hey, Speaking of Moon clips.

I was researching getting some Speed Loaders for my Ruger GP 100 and found various types.
    Anyone have experience with and preferences of one speed loader vs another in 6 shot config?

I have read about Safariland Comp 2, Pachmahr, HKS, Speedbeez,
    I have been thinking about going with the Safariland's for a start.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Bullfrog, Thanks.

I was researching getting some Speed Loaders for my Ruger GP 100 and found various types.
    Anyone have experience with and preferences of one speed loader vs another in 6 shot config?

I have Safariland for my GP-100. They work fine. I don't have any training using them so it isn't a particularly quick reload for me.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I was sure that Ruger made a 10mm/ .40 convertible Blackhawk. I was apparently wrong. It was 10mm/ .38-40.

Ruger made a run of 10mm/.40 convertible Blackhawks for a distributor several years ago...Lipsey's I believe. Here's one (not factory grips)...
    Ruger-10mm.jpg

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Bullfrog, Thanks.

I bought an HKS, but I don't have any experience or training with it other than playing with snapcaps at home. I've only have one revolver I bought a few weeks ago (also a GP100). After watching several videos and reading some articles I'm planning to get a couple of the Safariland comp 2's.

The 'push' technique seems like it would be more intuitive and quicker, especially under stress, than 'push and twist'.

BTW I should have read the article you linked before replying. Everything I thought I had contributed was already covered in the article. :rolleyes:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Revolvers use moon clips, so you're turning them into a rimmed cartridge, like using .45 ACP in a revolver chambered for .45 colt or .45 ACP.
    No , the Blackhawk is a Single Action Revolver . With rimless ctgs , they headspace on the mouth .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Bullfrog, Thanks.

With 40 years experience , I wholeheartedly recommend HKS . With Safariland being usable if forced to use .

HKS is more rugged , durable , less likely to spill ctgs . Easier to load ctgs into SL , easier to load ctgs into gun , and more forgiving of slight alignment errors in loading into gun .

Yeah , yeah , in best case scenario , Safariland is a hair faster . As in thousandths . But the simplicity and reliability of HKS balances out the if not total bobbles , the giving of extra jiggled to a Safari

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    How do they accomodate compatible cartridges of different length? You have to swap cylinders for .40 and 10mm?

.40 and 10mm would require different cylinders .

As noted above , the limited run revolvers in discussion were .38-40 and 10mm .

Ruger never made a catalogued or Distributor Run of .40 Blackhawks . The only ones they made in .40 were a special order for a Police Union to commerate the anniversary of their Dept . IIRC San Diego . Without looking up , disremember if were Blackhawk or Vaquero .

Perhaps some of you are thinking of the S&W M610 , which Does use moonclips ?

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    .40 and 10mm would require different cylinders .

As noted above , the limited run revolvers in discussion were .38-40 and 10mm .

Ruger never made a catalogued or Distributor Run of .40 Blackhawks . The only ones they made in .40 were a special order for a Police Union to commerate the anniversary of their Dept . IIRC San Diego . Without looking up , disremember if were Blackhawk or Vaquero .

Perhaps some of you are thinking of the S&W M610 , which Does use moonclips ?
    Such wonderful resources of knowledge from so many of you guys.

Thanks Bigfoot44, Bullfrog etc.
    I went to 2 local to me gun shops to see if they happened to have any Speedloaders on hand to fit my GP100. Clydes did not, and Tyler's had one but not on hand. Either it was in warehouse somewhere or at a distributor they could order it for me. Wound up getting a box of ammo at Clyde's for my Glock 23.
    Supporting my local merchant, and well, lightening my wallet at the same time. Sure hate being poor nowadays with the prices of things.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Such wonderful resources of knowledge from so many of you guys.

Thanks Bigfoot44, Bullfrog etc.
    I went to 2 local to me gun shops to see if they happened to have any Speedloaders on hand to fit my GP100. Clydes did not, and Tyler's had one but not on hand. Either it was in warehouse somewhere or at a distributor they could order it for me. Wound up getting a box of ammo at Clyde's for my Glock 23.
    Supporting my local merchant, and well, lightening my wallet at the same time. Sure hate being poor nowadays with the prices of things.

They have a variety of HKS speedloaders in stock at Bass Pro, including the one for a 6 round .357 GP100 (model # 586-A), or at least they did 2 weeks ago.

You will pay a bit more at Bass Pro than some online sites (I think I paid $17.99), but you have that instant gratification factor of walking out with it in your hand. ;)

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    They have a variety of HKS speedloaders in stock at Bass Pro, including the one for a 6 round .357 GP100 (model # 586-A), or at least they did 2 weeks ago.

You will pay a bit more at Bass Pro than some online sites (I think I paid $17.99), but you have that instant gratification factor of walking out with it in your hand. ;)
    Yuppers OR that "other"feeling of trying to find parking at Arundel Mills.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    With 40 years experience , I wholeheartedly recommend HKS . With Safariland being usable if forced to use .

HKS is more rugged , durable , less likely to spill ctgs . Easier to load ctgs into SL , easier to load ctgs into gun , and more forgiving of slight alignment errors in loading into gun .

Yeah , yeah , in best case scenario , Safariland is a hair faster . As in thousandths . But the simplicity and reliability of HKS balances out the if not total bobbles , the giving of extra jiggled to a Safari

*****The above is really really good advice. HKS will last a LONG time and is much more forgiving for those that don't shoot them a lot as they are simple.

Super reliable IME.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks Big and Max,

I am pretty much decided to go ahead and get a pair of both types. Nothing like having enough including backups.

In light of us covering both 40 S&W, and wheel guns, I feel we all can learn from folks like Jerry such as in this video. Very good advice on how to keep your firearm from getting damaged needlessly.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

Same here :thumbsup:
    The push release method can leave one with extra rounds on the ground. Especially in a fast reload situation.

Speed strips are nearly as fast, sit flat in a pocket or pouch, and one can dump out a couple spent cases and top off the cylinder when they get a chance to.
    (See edit below *)
    No need to do a full reload if you’ve only used a couple rounds and have time to top off.
    1E1209B5-CA99-4E8F-9E58-DD87CA2045CF.jpeg
    CB3D6159-F463-4CBD-86F5-812BB56C6F4E.jpeg

EDIT:* Tactical revolver reload.

When/If the opportunity presents itself, and you find a second to top off the spent rounds. AND sufficient cover to do so…

With the revolver barrel pointed down…
    1) open the cylinder

2) push the extractor rod about one half to the rear, pushing the rounds up and part way out of the cylinder.

3) release the extractor rod,
    • the unfired rounds will drop back into the chambers.
    • the spent cases will still be standing half way out of the chambers, allowing you to pluck them out and discard them.

4) using the speed strip, reload the now empty chambers.

5) close the cylinder and get back into the fight with a fully loaded cylinder.

This really does work well. It was standard instruction when we were issued revolvers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom