Can a 40 Cal round be shot in a 10 mm pistol safely? ( Mods relocate to better area if necessary)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    In some of my tongue n cheek back and forth teases with Teratos about the ghey 40 cal I have, I saw some write-ups on how the 10mm was developed for FBI etc and nixed and the 40 cal was essentially the same dimensions and bullet. This led me to the question of similar ammo like 38 and 357, 44 M or 44 Special,,,,,,,,, etc.

I found this article.,

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

Can a 40 Cal round be shot in a 10 mm pistol safely?​

Apparently, from your linked 2015 article, the answer is YES. IF it is a 10mm Glock pistol.

I believe that if there was a problem that anyone should be aware of… Glock corporation would have issued some kind of safety PSA by now.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Can a 40 Cal round be shot in a 10 mm pistol safely?​

Apparently, from your linked 2015 article, the answer is YES. IF it is a 10mm Glock pistol.

I believe that if there was a problem that anyone should be aware of… Glock corporation would have issued some kind of safety PSA by now.

It is food for thought and I am sure those here and elsewhere with real good minds that grasp of technical and real world actual cases of evidence, can expound upon further details and nuances.

I did find it rather interesting and with some sound logic. Look at a 22 SR, LR. No issues in shooting a SR in a 22 LR, just not the other way around.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Unlike rimmed ammo (.38 special, 44 special), ammo for semi auto pistols headspaces on the case mouth. The .40 case is much shorter, so you are going to be relying on the extractor to hold the case solidly against the breech face.

This may lead to 2 issues... the first is light or unreliable primer strikes, since the case is only being held by the extractor and not by the chamber, which is longer than would be expected. I would not want to rely on it in a self defense situation.

The second is possible ejector wear or damage. I'm only speculating on this one, but you're asking it to do a job it wasn't designed for. Holding the case before firing is probably less stressful than withdrawing a fired case since during extraction it has to deal with friction from an expanded case and possibly a dirty chamber, so this may be a non issue.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I did find it rather interesting and with some sound logic. Look at a 22 SR, LR. No issues in shooting a SR in a 22 LR, just not the other way around.

Those are rimmed cases that headspace on the rim, just like .38 and .44 special.

If you drop any of those rounds in the chamber, it is going to be in the correct position. If you drop a .40 into a 10mm chamber, it is going to fall down inside.

When you feed it from a magazine, it should be held by the extractor, but again that's not the way it was designed to work.

Just thought of a 3rd issue... if you fire a quantity of .40 at the range you may have an issue with built up debris in front of the too-short case. You may then have trouble getting 10mm to chamber properly until you have a chance to clean it out.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    Yes I have been shooting 40cal out of my 10 mm Glock pistols ( G20sf, G29, G40), using OEM barrel for years now. No issue!

It’s actually cheaper this way than shooting the normal 10mm practice rounds.

Recoil out of large frame feels like shooting 9mm, although in the long slide it felt like an eternity for the slide to cycle completely, just like shooting Glock 24.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Yes, you can. But i'd only do it in a glock.

And you'd be surprised how many 10mm loads are loaded to 40cal spec. You actually have to do your homework with factory 10mm to see if it's actually giving you any power benefit over regular 40. I digress...

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Yes I have been shooting 40cal out of my 10 mm Glock pistols ( G20sf, G29, G40), using OEM barrel for years now. No issue!

It’s actually cheaper this way than shooting the normal 10mm practice rounds.

Recoil out of large frame feels like shooting 9mm, although in the long slide it felt like an eternity for the slide to cycle completely, just like shooting Glock 24.

Did you ever have a problem chambering 10mm after shooting a lot of .40 if you didn't clean the barrel afterward?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I was sure that Ruger made a 10mm/ .40 convertible Blackhawk. I was apparently wrong. It was 10mm/ .38-40.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    Don’t know ,since I always clean barrel completely before going back to shooting 10mm again.

Although if I shoot 10mm , it will be full power load from Underwood or double taps.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Another interesting take on things as Bullfrog mentioned.

I didn't think about the burning powder eroding the chamber in front of the .40 cartridge. That's a fourth issue.

Over time it may mess with the accuracy of your 10mm. When you shoot .40 you're basically making the chamber function like the forcing cone of a revolver. The bullet and unburned powder have to jump the gap. It wasn't designed for that.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Revolvers use moon clips, so you're turning them into a rimmed cartridge, like using .45 ACP in a revolver chambered for .45 colt or .45 ACP.
    This was also mentioned in a place I read or viewed.

1658852381092.png

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Some folks are mentioning things which were covered very well in the article linked in the OP.

Extractor issues? Covered
    Chamber wear? Covered
    Primer strikes? Covered

In all mentioned items… none were any problem when shooting the .40 ammo in the Glock 10mm pistols.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom