• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I tried to organize a legal meet n greet and while I made contact with several attorneys on here, only a few showed. Fine by me, I'm busy, we're all busy. I understand.

I'm willing to do it again if I have more buy in and I can take a breather from practice.

Summer time is my down time for the most part. I do a lot of tax preparation, so right now I am relaxing after a really rough month. My wife said she felt a lot less stress on April 16th just because I was done with tax season for the most part.

I have ammo to shoot clays, not so much anything else. I Pm'ed you a couple weeks ago because I figured out you were an attorney after doing a search on here for NFA trusts. Thing is, we aren't that far away from one another. Maybe a central Maryland meet would work.

Yes, we are all busy with everything going on in our lives, but with enough advance notice we should be able to put something together. I despise the saying "The law is a jealous mistress". I quit working for others when they started interfering with my hunting time with my dad.

In another year, I should have all kinds of new stuff to shoot if I can find the ammo. About to start checking on reloading components since I already have all the equipment for it. A progressive press would be nice for pistol though.

JD-IAFF

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 21, 2013
    Based on the responses in this thread thus far it seems I jumped the gun in assuming our help would be needed. It does make me happy seeing the number of attorneys on this board who would be willing to help if it was required.

I don't think they'd turn away free research. That said, I do believe they'd be annoyed by haphazard or competing litigation. We've already learned, or should have learned, the lesson about multiple firms and attorneys shotgunning litigation without a coherent overall strategy guiding the filings.

Ditto on the bar assistance offer as well. I stay pretty busy, but I'll contribute what I can to both efforts.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    With all this eager legal talent on hand , I have a smaller issue I've been looking into that could stand some search of Md cases. PM me.

BondJamesBond

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2009
    As gun owners and supporters of the second amendment I believe we have an obligation to help challenge the newly passed laws in the courts. As citizens with a special skill set I believe our obligation is greater as we have the skills and education needed to defeat this abuse of legislative power. I want to gauge the interest of the other lawyers of this community to offer our services to Neil Parrott and the other legislators joining the NRA and other advocacy groups to fight this law in court. The more money that is saved in the initial case means more money for appeals. We can offer our time to conduct research and assist in trial preparation as well as any other task associated with the suit. Who would like to join me?

Do you ever hurt yourself by patting yourself on the back so much? Lawyers have a "special skill set"? :lol2:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Do you ever hurt yourself by patting yourself on the back so much? Lawyers have a "special skill set"? :lol2:

That is what they preach in law school. He is only just graduating, so he still believes it. It is part of the lecture about giving back to the community via pro bono because most people cannot adequately represent themselves in litigation.

Me, I want to see some pro bono bricklayers, carpenters, HVAC, etc., but I guess that is covered through Habitat for Humanity, etc.

Most people have a special skill set that allows them to earn a living. Even manual laborers have a special skill set, a strong back. I changed the torsion springs on my garage door last night and thought I was going to be sore for a week.

Me, I am going to try to learn the special skill set of welding next.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    In conjunction with Tashtego, do any of the firms want help? All time they spend working on the case is billable, all time you spend working on their case maybe not so much.

Here is some free research on the problems created by SB-281 and its use of "receive" and "receipt" Some real potential traps here

Attachments

• New Statutory Provisions and Penalties Assault Weapons Magazines and Handguns2.pdf
      71.4 KB · Views: 131

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    I am certainly up for a meet and greet, I'm a bit busy now with work this month and with potentially buying a house in Fredrick but May should be better. Hey if I get the Frederick place I will have enough room to shoot on my own land with all my new legal friends.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Me, I am going to try to learn the special skill set of welding next.

Take a class at your local community college. Funny thing is, when I took mine, half were working class guys looking to open up job skills/opportunities, the rest were white collar guys just... Doing whatever. I had a foot in both camps :D

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I am certainly up for a meet and greet, I'm a bit busy now with work this month and with potentially buying a house in Fredrick but May should be better. Hey if I get the Frederick place I will have enough room to shoot on my own land with all my new legal friends.

Yep, just advised a couple clients in Clarksburg, without kids, to move to Frederick. They asked what I thought about moving to certain areas because they have only been here a couple years and I am a native Marylander. Anything other than Montgomery County, with the exception of PG and Baltimore City, is an improvement.

If you get the place in Frederick, let us know when the shoot will be and what we should bring food/weapon wise.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Take a class at your local community college. Funny thing is, when I took mine, half were working class guys looking to open up job skills/opportunities, the rest were white collar guys just... Doing whatever. I had a foot in both camps :D

That has been the plan. Asked my aunt (i.e., an artist that welds her art together) about classes and she sent me a link for a class that was at the end of last October. Too much was going on then for me to attend. I keep looking over the mailer that Howard County Community College sends and I have yet to see anything in it about welding. Should probably just pick up the phone and give them a call.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    That has been the plan. Asked my aunt (i.e., an artist that welds her art together) about classes and she sent me a link for a class that was at the end of last October. Too much was going on then for me to attend. I keep looking over the mailer that Howard County Community College sends and I have yet to see anything in it about welding. Should probably just pick up the phone and give them a call.

I took it through the College of So. MD. The job skills classes are often listed in a separate brochure from the academic programs.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I'm up for a meet and greet. PM me!

Best part is we can legitimately deduct this on our taxes as a business networking event ;)

MonkeyPunch

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Question - how does the mental health provisions of SB281 relate to U.S. v. Giardina (U.S. v. Giardina, 861 F.2d 1334 (5th Cir. 1988)?

I remember originally hearing that the loophole was that if you checked yourself into an emergency room (voluntary) and then they committed you for an observation period, it wasn't considered voluntary committal. On the other hand, if you were compelled (by your Doctor) to go to the emergency room, it would be considered involuntary.

Just wondering if there is any truth to this rumor.

bpSchoch

Jan 16, 2009
    Bethesda, MD
    I'm not an attorney, however I've studied a lot of law (civil rights).

I've heard the governor didn't sign the law, but apparently it becomes law even if he doesn't sign it (saw from thread but haven't personally verified this). I believe he won't sign it because it creates a personal liability to him if he did as it would violate his oath of office (to support the constitution) and thus be liable for a Title 42 action (and possible Title 18 13 241/242 criminal actions). I may be reading into this, I believe the governor knows this and that's why he won't sign it (why take the risk if he doesn't have to). If this is really true, someone should be making a big stink about it. ie If this law is so important why didn't you sign it??????

The legislature usually has immunity from prosecution in doing their job, however in reading the Maryland constitution, one could interpret that they might have liability.

On the AWB, our strength is that you can't ban weapons in common use.

I also believe that since the 2nd amendment is partially based as a deterrence to an out of control government, the government can not be the initial gatekeeper as who has access to firearms. In other words, we the people can't be in a position of playing mother may I to obtain firearms. Our system of government works on the principle that you have your rights unless they are taken away via the courts (only through due process of law) and not the other way around. This is also consistent with the checks and balances of our 3 branches of government. The legislature makes the law, the executive enforces (while supporting the constitution), and the judicial is the place to sort it all out. So we just had the legislature overstep it's bounds. Now we should be 'daring' the executive to enforce it (under threat of violating their oaths of office and civil and criminal liability) and using the courts to sort it out. Having a referendum only re-enforces the notion of an absolute democracy (rule of the majority) which we are not (we are a republican form of government where minority interests are supposed to be protected)

I have more ideas but don't wont to discuss in public forum.

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    I would suggest an attorney (or anyone) looking to help the cause join MSI as an Executive Member. We always have something going on that needs help. :)

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'm up for a meet and greet. PM me!

Best part is we can legitimately deduct this on our taxes as a business networking event ;)

Yeah, good reason to shoot up a storm and burn through some ammo. Hard part is going to be finding some ammo to buy.

I tried to look for reloading brass and the only thing I could find online was .30-06 and .338 Lapua. Have plenty of the former and no need for the latter just yet. Granted, I only spent 5 minutes looking before I started thinking about making my own brass. Think that might be my next endeavor/challenge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom