• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LawAnomaly

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2010
    Northern Calvert County
    As gun owners and supporters of the second amendment I believe we have an obligation to help challenge the newly passed laws in the courts. As citizens with a special skill set I believe our obligation is greater as we have the skills and education needed to defeat this abuse of legislative power. I want to gauge the interest of the other lawyers of this community to offer our services to Neil Parrott and the other legislators joining the NRA and other advocacy groups to fight this law in court. The more money that is saved in the initial case means more money for appeals. We can offer our time to conduct research and assist in trial preparation as well as any other task associated with the suit. Who would like to join me?

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Nate, if you need help at any point in time with the bar, PM me and I'll give you my phone number.

You don't need a license to do research or prepare paperwork that is sined off by a licensed attorney ;)

Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    I'm already working on a court challenge with another attorney. However, you might want to contact the NRA and Gura first as well. NRA doesn't always like to "share" time when filing lawsuits. We'd need to coordinate with them to figure out who is filing what.

This will probably be filed in the US District Court for the District of Maryland. Preferably Greenbelt Division. SB281 is unconstitutional, plain and simple.

Law Anomaly: I like your signature, I hope you don't mind if I copy it too since I've now outed myself as an attorney ;)

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Nate, if you need help at any point in time with the bar, PM me and I'll give you my phone number.

You don't need a license to do research or prepare paperwork that is sined off by a licensed attorney ;)

Awesome offer, thank you. I know I could at least be of some assistance. With no job lined up, I really have nothing going on besides studying after finals also.

I do have some experience with writing papers/briefs for Second Amendment topics (most recently a tax policy paper on repealing the NFA, a paper on what level of scrutiny a court should apply to handgun permitting statutes based on the ability to lawfully carry without a license, and a paper pre-McDonald on why the USSC should extend to the states via the 14th.)

Tashtego

Jan 6, 2013
    It is great to offer to help, but it might be more productive to find out first from the legal team itself what help it needs or if it needs any help at all. Often they've got it covered, or there isn't really anything that can be farmed out easily. Quantity is great for a political campaign; for a lawsuit, not so much.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    In conjunction with Tashtego, do any of the firms want help? All time they spend working on the case is billable, all time you spend working on their case maybe not so much.

LawAnomaly

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2010
    Northern Calvert County
    I'm already working on a court challenge with another attorney. However, you might want to contact the NRA and Gura first as well. NRA doesn't always like to "share" time when filing lawsuits. We'd need to coordinate with them to figure out who is filing what.

This will probably be filed in the US District Court for the District of Maryland. Preferably Greenbelt Division. SB281 is unconstitutional, plain and simple.

Law Anomaly: I like your signature, I hope you don't mind if I copy it too since I've now outed myself as an attorney ;)

be my guest, i borrowed it from rusty

LawAnomaly

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2010
    Northern Calvert County

I hope I wasn't confusing. I would like us to assist the NRA attorney's to help defray costs now in the preparation stage so the money can be spent on appeal.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    What would the timeline look like? I won't take the bar until this summer.

You can still do legal research. Believe me, none of us will be drafting pleadings in this matter or entering our appearance for that matter. Almost anybody can do legal research for an attorney.

I'd be curious to know what the NRA, 2nd Amendment Foundation, and/or MSI is looking for in terms of help, if any at all.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Alright, after reading through it I think I pretty much echoed what the rest of you guys are saying on this. About the only help the "big" attorneys and firms are going to want from the rest of us attorneys is dollars to help pay for the litigation.

You have to wonder how this will go as the number of 2nd Amendment supporters continues to dwindle.

Best way to help us, take a newb out shooting. Going to take a fellow attorney out shooting sometime soon if I can ever find some freaking ammo. He is 50+ years old and an attorney that loves Constitutional issues. Took a couple guys out hunting and shooting while I was in law school.

LawAnomaly

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2010
    Northern Calvert County
    Based on the responses in this thread thus far it seems I jumped the gun in assuming our help would be needed. It does make me happy seeing the number of attorneys on this board who would be willing to help if it was required.

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    Even if our help may not be needed for this particular issue there may be other areas we can help our fellow brothers and sisters in arms. Depending on what individual areas we each practice. I always enjoy meeting fellow attorneys who share my passions outside the law, in MoCo I seem to be surrounded by a liberal mentality in the legal world. I would be glad to help where I can.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Even if our help may not be needed for this particular issue there may be other areas we can help our fellow brothers and sisters in arms. Depending on what individual areas we each practice. I always enjoy meeting fellow attorneys who share my passions outside the law, in MoCo I seem to be surrounded by a liberal mentality in the legal world. I would be glad to help where I can.

Surprised to hear there are still gun owners in Montgomery County. lol

Lived there since I was born and at age 39 I had had enough. I'm in western Howard County now. I love the area, but the political climate in Maryland has just gone to crap in the entire state in the past couple of years. Knowing before the move here, what I know now, I might have been headed to Richmond instead.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    I tried to organize a legal meet n greet and while I made contact with several attorneys on here, only a few showed. Fine by me, I'm busy, we're all busy. I understand.

I'm willing to do it again if I have more buy in and I can take a breather from practice.

Alright, after reading through it I think I pretty much echoed what the rest of you guys are saying on this. About the only help the "big" attorneys and firms are going to want from the rest of us attorneys is dollars to help pay for the litigation.

You have to wonder how this will go as the number of 2nd Amendment supporters continues to dwindle.

Best way to help us, take a newb out shooting. Going to take a fellow attorney out shooting sometime soon if I can ever find some freaking ammo. He is 50+ years old and an attorney that loves Constitutional issues. Took a couple guys out hunting and shooting while I was in law school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom