• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    You have to train with an ASP before using it or it will just get you into trouble.

I liked the Pr-24 side handle but it too took training to use it correctly.
    Maybe. I've seen guys dropping breaker bars from their forearm clothes, and pulling num-chuks from their socks in my highghschool days. Packs tend to run away from defense /aggression.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I'm from Baltimore

It's not a Billy Club

It's a Espantoon

Now there's a blast from the past.
    Bravo history recollection and application of terminology application.

I could be wrong....

The difference between a nightstick (short thong, held on burl) and an Espantoon (long thong, burl is the strike point) is the length of the leather thong and the way it was held.

Jul 1, 2012
    An Old-Timey (1930's) 12 ga gas cartridge dispenser in a head knocker....
    guess this would probably not be CA-compliant...
    Tight leather washers / bands on the business end.
    It's not terribly heavy but it'd still do the "in his head I put a dent" (- Mr. Robinson).
    The leather thong is missing from the back end (so to speak) on the top one.

x2.jpg

2.JPG

From the instruction sheet... must have been a blast to use!
    11 inset.jpg

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    I grew up in a police household. There's another term for them that's way racist that they used to use in Baltimore many years ago. I can remember riding down the streets in Baltimore City watching the flat foots twirling them just daring some of the indigenous population to make a move.
    Ends in knocker?

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    An Old-Timey (1930's) 12 ga gas cartridge dispenser in a head knocker....
    guess this would probably not be CA-compliant...
    Tight leather washers / bands on the business end.
    It's not terribly heavy but it'd still do the "in his head I put a dent" (- Mr. Robinson).
    The leather thong is missing from the back end (so to speak) on the top one.

View attachment 456549
    View attachment 456547

From the instruction sheet... must have been a blast to use!
    View attachment 456548
    You got me excited with that leather thong part

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I can't wrap my brain around the fact that legislation was put forth to ban them. What I wonder is the definition of a Billy Club? Is it under the umbrella of an Assault Weapon? This shit is soooo fvcking stoopid.
    Read Maryland's definition of "Nunchaku". Basically, if you tie two hotdogs together with dental floss you're going to jail.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Thank you for the info, I've contemplated pepper spray. It's quite the challenge when you have a GSD on a leash that takes two hands to control, with two similar sized dogs running in aggressively and then splitting L and R to try to attack.

I'll pick up some pepper spray.

Not an expert on sprays, but on a close quarters, rapidly moving target I think you might want a gel type or something that shoots a stream instead of a spray, to limit the effects to yourself or your own dog.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Instead of a dedicated billy club...carry a MagLight. "Who they can't blind they can bludgeon."
    I know someone who was a security guard that had one. He would turn on the light holding it forward and rest the handle on his shoulder. One time someone tried to assault him and he simply flipped the light handle first into the guys shoulder and broke the guys collar bone.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Not an expert on sprays, but on a close quarters, rapidly moving target I think you might want a gel type or something that shoots a stream instead of a spray, to limit the effects to yourself or your own dog.
    I've no experience with sprays. But I picked up some pointers from a LEO who got sprays for his Daughters who were in college (even though the college prohibited them :D). As you say gel better for outside fast moving target. He also said to get a few and practice first.

I've been accosted while walking my dog more than a few times, and each time it sucks balls. Some dogs charge in then stop, some don't stop, sometimes there are two; all while trying to control a 80 or so LB GSD; not fun at all.

Stupid yapper dogs I kick like a football as I reckon that's less damage than if my GSD got into them. But even dealing with yappers sucks balls.

Whatever spray I get will have to be one hand deployable.

I'll go spray shopping later this week. Some motherfucking ********** scumbag ******* has been fraudulently using my CC; new one comes in next week.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

Modern options include :

Stream
    Narrow Cone
    Wide Cone
    Fog

IMO , for one on one defense, Narrow Cone is usually preferred , followed by stream .

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I could be wrong....

The difference between a nightstick (short thong, held on burl) and an Espantoon (long thong, burl is the strike point) is the length of the leather thong and the way it was held.
    Yes long leather thong attached to a Billy.
    My memory is faded, but when twirled manipulated by the user both ends of the stick are free of the users hands to some distance.
    The thong may have been actually attached to the club in front of the handle if I'm not mistaken.
    Last time I actually saw one, was when the birds played the Yankees at the old stadium.
    Mounted policeman were preparing to attend to some guy who was acting up in the bazaar out front.
    Cops in Baltimore city had them all the time and were adept with the display. Sometimes two or three when they were together I assume, to keep people away from them in a crowd.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    FWIW, I've seen dogs shrug off an ASP strike to the head and keep coming. I haven't yet seen on shrug off pepper spray.
    My daily walk dog stick is a heavy carbon fiber golf club shaft (driver) with head cut off with an angle grinder then remaining metal end sharpened. It is carried a lot but used very little. Only once so far...

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    I've no experience with sprays. But I picked up some pointers from a LEO who got sprays for his Daughters who were in college (even though the college prohibited them :D). As you say gel better for outside fast moving target. He also said to get a few and practice first.

I've been accosted while walking my dog more than a few times, and each time it sucks balls. Some dogs charge in then stop, some don't stop, sometimes there are two; all while trying to control a 80 or so LB GSD; not fun at all.

Stupid yapper dogs I kick like a football as I reckon that's less damage than if my GSD got into them. But even dealing with yappers sucks balls.

Whatever spray I get will have to be one hand deployable.

I'll go spray shopping later this week. Some motherfucking ********** scumbag ******* has been fraudulently using my CC; new one comes in next week.

These come highly recommended by individuals I hold in high regard:

Also, buy a couple of trainers, so that you can get a feel for the tool's capabilities.

Here are a couple of resources to help you choose the right product for you, and learn principles of use:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom