• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grasser

May 16, 2022
    Carroll County, Mount Airy
    Yup,,
    And I can assure you, I do not have a hidden wall vault behind a sliding mirror, A 12" thick wall shelf or a 8" thick wooden flag mounted to the wall. All my stuff is home brewed

Point is,, I can be in Any sub $800 "gun safe" in 5-6 minutes.
    Lock it AND hide it.
    Yeah,, If Doris Payne decides to mark me, she may get "Some" of my stuff. But 90% + of the break ins are going to be smash and grabs from local hoodlums
    I am serious about posting vulnerabilities that I was aware of and deciding not to mention them because I was concerned that it might do more harm than good. Locks do keep honest people honest. Before I decided to do some locksmithing, I was interested in something called "Lock Sport" which is being able to pick locks as a sport or hobby. It has no criminal intention. I was intigued because I thought of that talent as a way to help people who were locked out of their homes for instance those that forgot their keys. I let my skills slip because I don't want to deal with driving out to a house and charging what the cost is worth and having to have people cuss me out because I got in their house in a few minutes. It was fun as a hobby but now a career is out of the question because I'm retired. I will still make and design locks for people.

To your point, the best place to secure a gun is at an innovative location that no one would ever think of looking at. The problem is (based on my freezer & pillowcase examples) some really INNOVATIVE place are not as unique as you might think. Most crooks know all the obvious (even though you don't think they are). Also as Slackdaddy said, anyone with a moderate amount of tallent could either get into your location by picking it or the most likely "brute force". Chose your protections wisely.

sar82007

Apr 6, 2013
    People's Republic of MD
    Camouflage is your friend. I've got old refrigerators I store my guns in. They're perfect since you they're airtight. Just throw in a humidity absorbing device and be on your way.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I'm not implying that ALL cheap locks can be compromised so easily.
    Oh yes, they can even the round locks and all cam locks with paper clips and bobby pins. A lady at the office locked the filing cabinet with the keys inside including her car keys. They were going to call a locksmith and I told them I could open it. They did not know I had locksmith and safe training in the USCG and 2 years of college. I opened it with 2 paper clips one to turn the other to manipulate the tumblers done in 30 seconds. Heck tricks like that are ready available in the www video so anyone can do it.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I am serious about posting vulnerabilities that I was aware of and deciding not to mention them because I was concerned that it might do more harm than good. Locks do keep honest people honest. Before I decided to do some locksmithing, I was interested in something called "Lock Sport" which is being able to pick locks as a sport or hobby. It has no criminal intention. I was intigued because I thought of that talent as a way to help people who were locked out of their homes for instance those that forgot their keys. I let my skills slip because I don't want to deal with driving out to a house and charging what the cost is worth and having to have people cuss me out because I got in their house in a few minutes. It was fun as a hobby but now a career is out of the question because I'm retired. I will still make and design locks for people.

To your point, the best place to secure a gun is at an innovative location that no one would ever think of looking at. The problem is (based on my freezer & pillowcase examples) some really INNOVATIVE place are not as unique as you might think. Most crooks know all the obvious (even though you don't think they are). Also as Slackdaddy said, anyone with a moderate amount of tallent could either get into your location by picking it or the most likely "brute force". Chose your protections wisely.
    A good place if you have one is the dead space under the stair well. You build a permanent wall about 3 feet from the bottom step on the backside with shelves in the space. Then frame up everything else to make a closet leaving the back wall open until the other work is done. You also can install a receptacle for lighting and a dehumidification rod. Then cut the sheet rock nice and clean where the hidden storage space is behind the wall to be finished. Installing a wainscoting with heavy magnetic catches on the back. Cut along the groves in the wainscoting slide it in place between the mop board and top rail of the finished top. On the top on the back of the door place a 2x2 piece of steel. Use strong magnet to pull the door open. After testing and checking then finish the inside wall. A good thing a metal detector will pick up fodder as the guns are far enough form the stairs and walls.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I'm looking for some sort of cabinet specifically for pistols. Im almost up to 10 already so its getting a bit unruly. Traditional gun safes seem to devote too much space to rifles, I need something with multiple shelves. I'm also not thrilled about safes, too damn pricey.

My current idea
    How about something like this?

edit: :lol2:

just read this on the site…
    WARNING: This product can expose you to Lead, which is know to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.p65warnings.ca.gov.

Also known to cause lethal splatter depending on velocity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom