• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • martman

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    I'm looking for some sort of cabinet specifically for pistols. Im almost up to 10 already so its getting a bit unruly. Traditional gun safes seem to devote too much space to rifles, I need something with multiple shelves. I'm also not thrilled about safes, too damn pricey.

My current idea

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    90ee01fb13617c8a76ed38b1ddaf218e.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Almost 10 ? Rookie ;) .

But seriously , I clicked the link and took quick glance .

Yes , something " gym locker-ish " would keep out of reach of toddlers , and keep honest people honest . Trade-off is minimum protection against actual thieves , and no fire protection .

Better than absolutely nothing .

Gun Safes typically come configured for long gun emphasis , because that's what most buyers want . But they are easily adaptable to all shelves , either with factory brackets , or an afternoon of home carpentry .

10 minutes ago , checked the Tractor Supply website . A real gun safe , with 30 minute fire rating is $ 677 .( Vs $599 w/ no fire rating ) .

Is $677 more than $199 ?
    Is $677 reasonable for what you get ? Is $677 reasonable in terms of current and future value of what will be in it ?
    All YES

I get it . Sometimes Money does matter . It's a slippery slope of ( anything ) vs ( next step up ) . But in this case $488 gets you a quantum leap .

Will $500 make a difference between a roof over your head , food on the table , and shoes for your children ? Then by all means , put shoes on your children's feet .

But if it's a matter of delaying a month for handgun #11 , invest in the safe first .

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I'm looking for some sort of cabinet specifically for pistols. Im almost up to 10 already so its getting a bit unruly. Traditional gun safes seem to devote too much space to rifles, I need something with multiple shelves. I'm also not thrilled about safes, too damn pricey.

My current idea
    Here is a thought, some years back I made a queen size bed frame with a hidden compartment for a neighbor to hold his stuff. It was 6 inches deep and held quite a lot of stuff. Just build a big box with a center brace and a lip around the circumference to hold the drop in doors. I attached it to his bed frames, and you would never know. You also could kick it up a notch and add hinges and a flush cabinet lock for security.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Most all consumer "gun safes" are easily compromised in minutes.
    Locking up guns in any consumer safe or "lock box" will keep them out of the hands of children, house guests, service people/cleaners.

"Well hidden" guns will almost never have unauthorized access.

Do the best of both worlds,, be creative. Buy any lockable locker/safe/container and build it in somewhere. Bolt it in, so it can not just be grabbed and carried away if found.
    Behind a bookcase, behind a fake return grill, etc.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I have a spare bedroom that I keep my guns in. I couldn't find the exact cabinet on the website but I bought
    a wooden cabinet, with a glass door, from Ikea. I ended up adding a shelf and with one of these little pistol racks
    for each shelf it'll hold 42 handguns. 5 1/2 or 6" barrel max. It looks pretty good and doesn't take up much space.
    My wife's Grandfather was a woodworker and years ago I sketched up a wall mount cabinet and he built it for me.
    Mounted felt covered pegboard in there and I can 12-15 in there depending on size.
    671057.jpg

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Bamboo drawer organizers worked great for me. I cut them down and screwed a knob on each. A little scrap metal strap keeps them aligned. If you pull the bottom one they all drop straight down staying stacked.

IMG_3593.jpeg

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I'm also not thrilled about safes, too damn pricey.

My current idea

Buy the best safe you can afford, it’s really the only thing keeping your guns safe from theft. A locker will keep your stuff safe from a quick smash and grab.

I had a gun locker for some a while back and it was pretty flimsy and light steel. I’m sure the lock picking lawyer could be in it in 5seconds or anyone with a crowbar in 30 or less. Don’t forget to bolt down whatever you buy. If a thief can pick it up and walk away with it they have all the time in the world. Bolting it down also help prevent intrusions because it’s harder to get leverage on the safe.

chriskat

Nov 1, 2009
    Piece of peg board attached to the inside of a gun safe door. Heat shrink to cover the metal hooks. Hang handguns from the trigger guards. Saw a pic like that on the internet somewhere, can't find it right now.

You do have to make a spacer between the peg board and the door, stack of washers would work.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    "Well hidden" guns will almost never have unauthorized access.

Professional burglars know all the hiding places better than homeowners .

Professional thieves who specialize in guns are known to bring metal detectors to find built in or disguised safes .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Buy the best safe you can afford, it’s really the only thing keeping your guns safe from theft. A locker will keep your stuff safe from a quick smash and grab.

I had a gun locker for some a while back and it was pretty flimsy and light steel. I’m sure the lock picking lawyer could be in it in 5seconds or anyone with a crowbar in 30 or less. Don’t forget to bolt down whatever you buy. If a thief can pick it up and walk away with it they have all the time in the world. Bolting it down also help prevent intrusions because it’s harder to get leverage on the safe.
    Beyond fire protection that’s the biggest difference. A locker will stop a smash and grab while you are home. A “safe” will stop anyone not determined or know what they are doing. If properly bolted, unless the criminals know it is there in advance, they aren’t breaking in with an angle grinder in hand or a 6 foot pry bar and mini sledge. Consumer gun safes can absolutely be broken in to in just a few minutes. With the right tools. Many even have the right tools in their garage. Most break-in “artists” are not the brightest tools in the shed. A locker can easily be busted. A safe takes some know how and proper tools.

Of the few break-ins of people I know, or a friend of a friend, who own guns. The only time safes have been broken in to were either burglars’ second visit in to the property when it was vacant (moving) two or three nights after the first break-in. Obviously coming back with tools. The other was an “inside job” where it was I think HVAC guy’s apprentice who’d seen it in the guys basement. Otherwise I know or friend of a friend half a dozen people who have gun safes who have had break-ins and no stolen guns.

I can’t comment on the locker as I don’t know anyone who has one. I did for a bit and then upgraded to a bigger safe. I can comment all of the locker types I’ve seen I could pop the door without tools if not bolted down just by knocking it over and jumping on it a few times to warp the frame. Metal is that thin. Crowbar and hammer and I could pop the door open in a minute. Alternately if not bolted down, just drag it out. If bolted down with a crow bar, probably just pry it off the floor or off the wall (again thin metal).

Keeps honest people honest, and kids out. That’s about it.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019

Professional thieves who specialize in guns are known to bring metal detectors to find built in or disguised safes .
    I would say correct a good professional thief knows hiding places better than your average home owner. I consider myself well beyond the average home owner.

What is the percentage of a proffesional theif with a metal detector vs 2 crack heads or small time thieves. I would guess that small time vs "top shelf professional" is 500 to 1 or better

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD

Yup a 30-dollar metal detector pin pointer works well for that.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Probably easier to get into the Harbor Fright locker than it is to get into the house.

Sell one handgun and buy a decent safe.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I know you’re asking about cabinets but assuming you have something you’re storing them in now, I have been very pleased with Savior pistol racks.

Shop around for better pricing.

grasser

May 16, 2022
    Carroll County, Mount Airy
    I would say correct a good professional thief knows hiding places better than your average home owner. I consider myself well beyond the average home owner.

What is the percentage of a proffesional theif with a metal detector vs 2 crack heads or small time thieves. I would guess that small time vs "top shelf professional" is 500 to 1 or better
    I would go on vacation and bring cash with me because travelers checks became too much of a hassle. I would split the cash in 4 batches. I would carry 1/4, my wife would carry 1/4, then I'd split the rest between the pillow case and the freezer. Since we were staying at a timeshare we had a full fridge and no maid service so those places seemed safe. Wrong... An unauthorized "room service" found the cash in the pillow case and I've read since then that the freezer is one of the first places thieves will check.
    Now I just bring about a third of the case and keep it with me. The rest of my vacation expenses go on a credit card (one just reserved for vacations in case it is compromised).

I know this is not related to guns per se but hopefully you get the point. For this reason I don't use those fake shaving cream cans, soda cans, etc. If I can buy it then the thieves know about it too.

Last edited:

grasser

May 16, 2022
    Carroll County, Mount Airy
    Probably easier to get into the Harbor Fright locker than it is to get into the house.

Sell one handgun and buy a decent safe.
    I was going to post about the security of various locks provided on many OTC locked items since I'm an amateur locksmith I decided it was not best to do that. Instead I will post an anecdote from my college days in the 1970's. (I'm pushing 70 now). I was dating a girl in 1973 when there was the Jimmy Carter gas shortage. We all had a lock on our gas caps. I lent my Chevy II to my girlfriend and she filled up the car after shopping. However, she left the locking gas cap on the gas pump and drove back to the dorm. After discovering her mistake she asked others in her dorm what to do and someone said she had an extra locking gas cap and gave it to her. My girlfriend was relieved and told me when I picked up the car. So naturally my first question was, OK, where is the key? The place was silent.

What does this have to do with safes? Since I obviously needed to get to the gas tank to fill up the car, I grabbed a hammer and screwdriver from my trunk and shoved the screwdriver into the keyhole and was able to twist open that gas cap and get it off.

I'm not implying that ALL cheap locks can be compromised so easily. I could have made things worse, but luckily didn't. It seemed like this was an easy first try option for an 18 year old (with little money) and it DID work. This boring lesson only serves to point out how easy cheap locks can be defeated. This also not to disparage Harbor Freight in any way. I have a lot of their tools for home projects. The company that did a very good job resurfacing my driveway last week used them. My comment was only referring to locks.

By the way, I have been married to that "girl" for 44 years.

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    For such a small collection, you can buy gun socks then stack them up and stack them deep. some people will also use old socks provided they don't have holes. Find a way to tag them so you know what they are.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    I would go on vacation and bring cash with me because travelers checks became to much of a hassle. I would split the cash in 4 batches. I would carry 1/4, my wife would carry 1/4, then I'd split the rest between the pillow case and the freezer. Since we were staying at a timeshare we had a full fridge and no maid service so those places seemed safe. Wrong... An unauthorized "room service" found the cash in the pillow case and I've read since then that the freezer is one of the first places thieves will check.
    Now I just bring about a third of the case and keep it with me. The rest of my vacation expenses go on a credit card (one just reserved for vacations in case it is compromised).

I know this is not related to guns per se but hopefully you get the point. For this reason I don't use those fake shaving cream cans, soda cans, etc. If I can buy it then the thieves know about it too.
    Yup,,
    And I can assure you, I do not have a hidden wall vault behind a sliding mirror, A 12" thick wall shelf or a 8" thick wooden flag mounted to the wall. All my stuff is home brewed

Point is,, I can be in Any sub $800 "gun safe" in 5-6 minutes.
    Lock it AND hide it.
    Yeah,, If Doris Payne decides to mark me, she may get "Some" of my stuff. But 90% + of the break ins are going to be smash and grabs from local hoodlums

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom