• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mgbill

Apr 19, 2007
    Mount Airy, MD
    My recommendation is to not put a scope on a pre-64 Model 94. That's pretty close to "bubbacizing" a great rifle. They don't lend themselves to glass optics anyhow, since it would have to be a side-mount.

You have a nice piece of history as it is. You want a .45-70? Get a Trapdoor Springfield.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Any thoughts on scopes and ring mounts for this rifle since its top eject? I don't wanna booger this thing up. Wanna do it correct for the year when referring to the scope mount

I wouldn't put a scope on it, I'd leave it as is.
    If you want a scoped 30-30 get a Marlin 336, the top of the receiver is drilled and tapped already

K-9COPPER

Aug 12, 2012
    Catonsville, MD
    Thanks guys, appreciate all your thoughts. Like I said, I don't wanna booger this thing up. I could get another rifle if I need a scope. Iconic rifle for American history. Paid just above 5 for her.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Nice rifle! I still regret selling the one that I had. It was made in 1898 and was a special order version with express sights.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , back in the day Weaver made a side mount for Winchesters . Even back in the days they weren't very well thought of, what with being offset and not centered. Even back then shooters who just had to have a scope on their lever actions gravitated to Marlin.

The period correct solution to improved sighting was Reffield and Lyman reciever sights, Occasionally tang sights, but not as often as on '92 family.

Reciever sights are a good choice even in current times.

K-9COPPER

Aug 12, 2012
    Catonsville, MD
    The rifle points real well and even the iron sights are very easy to gain good sight picture and sight alignment. I'm very much new to collecting C&R's and glad that such a forum exists for us noobs.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    By zooming in on the left side of your rifle in the pics I have noticed that the reciever is factory drilled and tapped for a Lyman or williams prep sight. I would reccomend adding one of those if anything at all. Otherwise I would not alter it. Remember .... Wars were fought and won with this rifle the way it is.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    My 1962 is the same exact rifle with the same factory tappings for the peep sight. I wanted to add one but I started thibking about all the history the rifle had been through without one. I guarantee mine has killed 50 deer or better without any scope or sight upgrade.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Probably a poor choice of words on my part. Should have read these rifles ( winchesters ) the way they are. And you were busting my chops.... Otherwise you wouldn't have said anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom